• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Working the 12 steps

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I guess I kinda was finally seduced into working the 12 steps. I had constantly failed at taking control of my own life. I need a god in my life to turn to. It might be little more than mental masturbation, but it has helped many people turn their lives around in the process.

I've been exposed to rehab facilities and rehab people. My assessment is it's not faith in God that works, but instead God/religion is the medium that social accountability is forged in. Like, you need a social bond that bypasses the logic circuits so social pressure can directly manipulate the emotions. God does this with belligerent efficiency.

It's quite lazy on the facility's part if you think about it.

If you're gonna make this work for yourself you're gonna have to go all-in with socializing and church and stuff. You don't gain anything from religion without practicing it and exploring it's wisdom and nuance.

12 steps, though not the solution to everything, do offer a stellar approach to God. As long as its loving and caring and powerful (more powerful than you)
You can make it whatever you want.
This Approach is the opposite of religion. Its whatever works. My Higher Power is only sometimes a supreme being. It is often the collective good of the group ( the NA group), the Universe, the spiritual principals, and much more.

To me, the 12 steps aren’t so much about God or religion as they are about getting yourself right with yourself (and your HP and your family/community.)

Few in Alanon get much past the first three steps. I got bored with that and felt like I was spinning my wheels.

I started going to open AA meetings and found a sponsor (AA and also in Alanon) who did steps 4 and 5 with me. I found those steps critical.

I even did 4 and 5 again, years later. Might be time to do another round.

I don’t understand why others have the impression that you have to be all in with religion. I did not see it when I was attending meetings. Perhaps things have changed.

I stopped going to meetings many many years ago, but the 12 steps were the beginning of my healing and growth as a good person. I moved on to other ways to develop and grow.

I never been on drugs nor drank alcohol for that matter. So I don't know much about it as this never applied to me.

But I am surprised to hear it has anything to do with religion. I mean, isn't "12 step program" kinda universal thing? So where would atheists go who are trying to get off drugs? Wouldn't atheists do 12 step too? Or is there an atheist alternative to that?

In any case, just this type of reasoning tells me that even if the program calls itself a Chrsitian, there isn't too much to the Christianity it has to offer. Meanwhile, Jesus was calling for a huge devotion. In Matthew 7:13 he said only few will make it through a narrow gate. So I would recommend going to a devoted Bible believing church, as opposed to some standard stuff like 12 steps or whatever.

New Threads

Top Bottom