• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

working or not working that is the question

baz

As time goes on I'm finding it harder to hold down my job, and when I talked to my psychiatrist, he suggested I cut down to part time. The trouble with this is that not enough money is coming in which then is creating more problems.
My GP has suggested I could be signed off of work, but I don't know if there is any benefits I could claim. I also worry that I don't want to end up like my father who stopped working in his early 50 s and subsequently became very isolated.

It really matters what country you live in and also [I am pretty sure no matter the country] what specifically your GP is going to report about your health in regards to work.

It really matters what country you live in and also [I am pretty sure no matter the country] what specifically your GP is going to report about your health in regards to work.
I am struggling to function in the working environment, I can't concentrate or focus on given tasks and I find it impossible to be around work colleagues.

Hi Baz

Perhaps first you could try doing and seek the help of your wife, if need be, is to find out what type of disability allowances you are entitled to and depending on what is the options, then you sit down with your wife and children and see where you can cut down on expenses and then go for that part time job.

Here in France, there is a health insurance, on top of regular one and we were paying, but on calculating what we were spending out, to what we were spending for; ie we were spending 150 or so euros per month, but only using 40euros of that insurance to pay for certain meds. So, in the long rung, we were paying a lot more for the insurance, than the insurance was paying for us! Have now cancelled this and lol the French would go barmy because they think it is the only way!

You cannot possibly go like your father, because you are worried that you will and besides, you have us here, who love you and are here for you; no way are we going to desert an aspie.

For some reason I thought you were American lol but as soon as I read: GP, I knew you are from England.

If you have a professional diagnosis, I am pretty sure you can utilize that.

Don't forsake your welbeing, trying to run against the wind of anxiety; your mind and body are telling you, this is too much!

I have now got to the stage, when I can be a bit more assertive and say: No, I cannot do that!

I'm sorry for your problem. I can relate to it.
Now I've been working for 1,5 years and I feel utterly exhausted by bickering and arguing of my colleagues and their resistance to get their part of common work done properly.
I don't have means to make 'vacations' for myself once more and the economical situation is quite bad for looking for a new job.
I've burned out almost completely and I became rather useless because I can barely understand significance of work papers, words of my colleagues and requests of my bosses. I feel my growing detachment from this unreasonable bustle and I can not make myself to look into it closer.
I'm desperately trying to understand if the work is really important for people - whay don't they do it properly and thus make further activity easier for themselves?
Why do bosses make unrealistic demands till the whole working process gets sabotaged by most of the workers and the organisation crushes down? It's the forth company I'm working at now that is about to collapse in the nearest future...
I don't want to search a new job and I see that it's 4 months late to really save my current working place.
Every time I got into this situation I tried to make my own work the best and I took responsibilities and work of my colleagues to make the company work as much as possible.
I'm a payroll accountant, so I can't really influense the main purposes and activity of the company. But I tried to keep the company working in my area of responibility: I did my best for people to get paid.
I do not know what kind of 'reward' got the superiors of those past (and this present) my organisation if they let it crush in just few years of working.
It's an insanity in my perception! Why put any efforts at all into something what has no chance and no real purpose to function?
I'm driven mad with no hope of stability that I could hold at...
I have quite enough my own issues but I can see clearly that the whole world around me in not as perfect as I was repeatedly said and convinced it be.
And I was said so many times in my past years that the whole world would have been all shiny and rosy if not 'evil' and 'bad' me.

Last edited:
Larisa,
thank you for your reply, I'm sorry you are struggling as well. Do you have good friends and family to help you?, and I hope you don't mind me asking, have you had a diagnosis that you are on the spectrum?
Another question, is your health service good and are they supporting you?

Thank you for caring and asking, Baz
I have good friends and my sister to turn to and complain to and laugh together with about absurdness of some situations. I get help from them and I offer my help if it can be useful.
Sometimes I think that without hard times I would not learn all of this. I would not learn to trust if I had chance to avoid relying on somebody's help and good will.

I'm self-diagnosed and I had been suspecting myself being on spectrum for 6 years before accepting it. I went through extensive psychological counselings and trainings with a psychologist I was recommended and who earned my trust by human wisdom and great deal of her own and my problems solved and pain eased - beside real knowledge and open-mindness.
I fought through a lot of my patterns but what's left as the residue did not buck no matter how hard I tried to 'correct' it.
Then I took tests for AS and then read the descriptions and other information.
It's only then I discovered I have 'face blindness' among other AS features. It felt liberating to finally realize the core of my accused traits. It's only then I could start to accept myself for what I really am.
I hope I didn't annoy you with my story - I'm easy to talk about myself, myself, myself...
It's one of few forums where that is the point of the communication - to share experience and to support each other. Exactly like I perceive communicating.
I still feel like I got into a dream...

I have access to health service, thank you. It's not without some flaws but it exists and is quite extensive (I really hope there will be no need to try it though). What about you if you don't mind me asking?

Larisa
thanks for your post, I'm glad you have people that are close to you and your health service is good. Is it a free service like our NHS or do you have to pay?
I'm a bit concerned that you have self diagnosed, would you not feel happier if you had a definitive diagnosis ?
For me, my Son suspected I had Asperger's a couple of years ago but I didn't take him seriously. For most of my life I have been treated for anxiety, depression, and obsessive personality disorder, and no matter how much therapy and medication I had I have always been the same. By chance I was chatting to a psychiatric nurse and she suggested I might have aspergers and arranged for me to be tested by a psychologist. The result was a definite Diagnosis of aspergers as my Son had suspected, and since then I have been left to come to terms with it and try and get on with my life.
I still take meds everyday and I have to admit I'm finding life even harder, but living where I do, there isn't any help for me. It seems the nhs only care about children with aspergers, anyone of my age,51, are the forgotten souls.

Larisa
thanks for your post, I'm glad you have people that are close to you and your health service is good. Is it a free service like our NHS or do you have to pay?
Thank you, Baz.
My health service is free so far (there are discussions about cutting the state expanses on it) but it's quite difficult to see a doctor - it may take a few days (if the matter is not something really urgent and requiring hospitalization). Sometimes it's easier to see a paid doctor but there is no guarantee of their qualification.
Besides it's difficult for me to seek treatment if I can avoid it - I'm terribly scared of any involvement in my body's working. I hate touches of medical personal, syringes, blood tests and other standart procedures on list.
I get over my resistance if I really feel myself bad though.
I'm a bit concerned that you have self diagnosed, would you not feel happier if you had a definitive diagnosis ?
For me, my Son suspected I had Asperger's a couple of years ago but I didn't take him seriously. For most of my life I have been treated for anxiety, depression, and obsessive personality disorder, and no matter how much therapy and medication I had I have always been the same. By chance I was chatting to a psychiatric nurse and she suggested I might have aspergers and arranged for me to be tested by a psychologist. The result was a definite Diagnosis of aspergers as my Son had suspected, and since then I have been left to come to terms with it and try and get on with my life.
I still take meds everyday and I have to admit I'm finding life even harder, but living where I do, there isn't any help for me. It seems the nhs only care about children with aspergers, anyone of my age,51, are the forgotten souls.
In my country AS is only diagnosed for children and later it's qualified as a mild form of schizophrenia - so no real help from that but more fears and rejection from society.
I grew in society with a strong prejudice in regards to autism (and any other person's disability in fact) - I don't really know the source of this opinion, but I keep meeting it in many articles about autism even now. Like autistic people are 'dull and emotionally flat', and 'arrogant' to take notice of other people, their activities have 'no sense' and they are 'dangerous' for other people around them.
It never occured to me how false and cruel this opinion is before I found some information on Asperger's Syndrome and started to recognise myself in these texts. I never considered how I must be appearing on the outside - I know myself inside and I usually had good people around me who weren't rude to me. However my life was dark without real friends of mine.
I started to learn about autism and other autistic people and I started to get used to my traits.
I thought why is it that AS strikes men harder than women?
I guess it may be connected with social hyrarchy: women are considered people of a lower level than men are. It puts additional expectations on a man: starting from his parents everybody expects from a boy to show leadership qualities early and will to compete and to win. And I noticed from my observations that autistic people to not differ much between men and women - and they all mostly have neither interest nor will to compete and fight for someone's good opinion.
For a girl there are milder requirements - to obey and be quiet. That gave me opportunity to watch myself, to look around and to match into my surroundings without much disturbances.
A boy is usually 'on stage' of the social vanity fair. Men got being judged even harsher with years passing.
I think these are totally abusive and unrealistic social expectations that drive people into depression.
I think my father was on spectrum and he never suspected that. He seemed so forlorn, lost and distant - I tried my best to tune to his 'wave' and connect to him but I failed every time. He rejected to even try to look at me and hear me out because he did not believe that a girl is capable of understanding him. It hurts me even now that he's dead for 1,5 years.
He abused his health as much as he could without alcohol and narcotics: he ate what was forbidden for him, did not follow recommedations of doctors, he was constantly angry and upset by what his life became and what he hoped to achieve by his age but he did not.
It was painful for me to watch his slow killing himself and be unable to help because of his poor opinion on me.
My autistic traits played against me in that too - because, I think, I could have got to him if only I was cheerful, easy-going and optimistic as a NT girl should be. That would be a daughter my father would be proud of, I know. He, too, thought of me as a failure of his hopes with my lack of motivation to win this world over and my need to withdraw to my comfort zone as soon as possible.
I have come to my psichologist when I was falling apart, depressed, anxious and totally lost whatever respect and value I ever hoped to hold for myself. I deemed myself a complete failure with no place on Earth. I was overfilled with hatred and harshness toward myself.
I noticed that autistic people from the start never critisize their parents and relatives. I took everything I gathered from external attitudes toward me and kept applying that on myself. If there was someone significant for me in the outer world who was irritated by me or set their expectation on me, I integrated this into my inner world stucture and kept on treating myself this way.
It took a lot of support from my psychologist and my building understanding of myself to reconsider those cruel external demands and put stop on power of other people to set the purposes in my life for me.
I feel for your confusion and tiredness (that I percieved from your posts).
I take that your son is quite grown up already? That's your success.
It seems to me that he is a caring and attentive person - and that's your triumph.
It's just much easier to think of many small everyday failures than notice greatness of your achievements.
Of cause your wife did a lot and maybe somebody else helped both of you - but greatness can't get smaller no matter how many part-takers it's divided into.
I think it's no small feat to live past 50 years old. The part of a long and bumpy road conquered step by step.
I respect that in you.
No one can walk the life without footing - why don't you get some consideration for yourself. Like intermediate total.
I do it for myself as often as I have a new thought on what is it valuable in me and my life :)
It often seems to me like the world with its variable and unpredictable situations knocks the very ground out of my feet. I dreamt for years to meet someone who'd helped me to stand firmer in different occasions.
Now I wonder if I maybe shouldn't be so much afraid of falling.
Sorry for bringing this out here - just to illustrate my idea - I sometimes think what death is. Once my psychologist said that a person who didn't learn to trust and rely on death can not live their life fully.
After a lot of thinking I realized that my suicidal considerations are mostly builded upon believe that I should have died in early childhood and death mistakenly looked me over. So if I don't take measures myself I will never die.
I mean it sounds ridiculous but deep inside I really somehow believe in that.
When I had to fly on plane for the first time (I was 24) I looked popular advices for new travellers and I was puzzled.
There were so much recommendations to 'not think of the worst', to 'remember that probability of crushing is non-significant', to 'read something during the flight' and so on.
That was the first time I met my difference from the most people because these advices themselves got me really nervous. I always keep in mind a human factor which may change outcome of any situation despite all mathematic odds.
So I found for myself the most optimistic and truthful answer that the probability is 50%.
Before I get on plane I weight my risk and my wish to go to the place. It's like taking life by small sips of death every day - and strangely it gives me support to realize and fulfill what else I want to do in my life before it runs out eventually.
When I leave my room to go to the work in the morning I sometimes think that there is 50% probability that I will not see the end of the day. And during the day I do what feels interesting and important to me to do in order to not regret later because no firing from the job puts as final stop on my living, feeling and learning as the death itself.
That's why I often log in the forum even during my working hours. I feel alive when I read and write here.
I understand that my employer may scold me, but really it's from here that I get my strenght to do my work to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:
Larisa
you've had a struggle with life haven't you, and it hurts me to read of your relationship with your father. My father also had Asperger's I suspect, and he basically shut himself away from the world, so I never knew him. I only learnt about him after he and my mother had died in a house fire and I found all of his diaries that detailed his traumatic life trying to live knowing how different he was but not knowing what it was.
As for you Larisa, you show great strength and understanding. Just keep on doing what you are doing and you'll be fine. It's not good to look back with the knowledge you have now, because we all did what we thought was for the best at the time, as did our fathers I'm sure.

Larisa
you've had a struggle with life haven't you, and it hurts me to read of your relationship with your father. My father also had Asperger's I suspect, and he basically shut himself away from the world, so I never knew him. I only learnt about him after he and my mother had died in a house fire and I found all of his diaries that detailed his traumatic life trying to live knowing how different he was but not knowing what it was.
As for you Larisa, you show great strength and understanding. Just keep on doing what you are doing and you'll be fine. It's not good to look back with the knowledge you have now, because we all did what we thought was for the best at the time, as did our fathers I'm sure.
I've been through a lot of psychological therapy - to acknowledge my hurt and anger at my parents' injustice and cruel treatment of me and my sister. These feeling of my suffering and painful confusion I really had to admit to start reconsidering my parents' behaviour.
Now that both my parents are dead (my mother died 4,5 years ago) and they can not harm me with their doings out of 'the best intentions' any more - I finally started to see them without the veil of my suffering.
I think it's then my own healing really started.
So now I feel need to look back and return to my painful memories but now I feel strengh and rooting to myself-at-present-time to not be afraid of my parents and really look at them as they behaved then. It pains me to realize that I really had to protect myself from them, that they really believed that it's me who was the source of their unhappiness.
And it tears me apart to realize that I could never help them even if I knew back then their reasons and their fear.
I still can't comprehend why does so much suffering occure in the world? Why does it resonate from one person to another and sometimes even gets stronger?
I feel unhelpful now that I started to recognize myself - though most of my life I felt helpless.
But I feel that I don't have strength and spirit to actually do something in the physical world. But to talk to and try to support others - that I can and I enjoy if somebody else feels better and lighter after talking with me.
Concerning my own life I know I can cope with it - lately I've got feeling of curiousity what else my life has in storage for me. And how the situation turns out this time. I find it to be enlightening to analyze how my feelings colour my perception of the outer world. Despair is just one of many my feelings and I though I can not change my way of feeling desperate - I'm able to detach my personality from 'despair'.
From beginning of my counselings with my psychologist I started to wonder what is 'personality' at all?
I did not feel 'the core' of myself, I felt like I totally changed with every mood I feel, I felt myself different with different people around me. Now I became better in distinguishing my self from my emotions - and thus I gave myself more freedom to conciously feel without loosing my self in these feelings.
I got over my alexithymia and writing about my feelings liberates me from their pressure on my mind.
I'm still a bit afraid of tomorrow but I'm beginning to learn to trust to... I don't really know - God? Universe? Creator?
I just feel this has nothing in common with any religions. I never understood how it is to 'believe' in God at all and why do I have to do everything to 'please' him.
I still don't think that the Creator of the world can be so small-minded to be angry at his creations for not praying to him and so on.
I'm sorry for I did not even ask if maybe you are a religous person and I'm, unwittingly, attacking your believes with my words...

unfortunately I'm not religious Larisa, I wish I was because I'm sure having God in my life would be very comforting, particularly when everything gets too much.

unfortunately I'm not religious Larisa, I wish I was because I'm sure having God in my life would be very comforting, particularly when everything gets too much.
Well... I don't know really...
In early childhood (5-8 years) I was forcibly exposed to Orthodox Christianity by my grandmother. That was a rather traumatic experience itself and with other factors in my life I got really depressed and felt 'cornered'.
I found myself in stuffy noisy room sparkling with gold everywere and I was forced to kiss glass-covered icons icluding that one which was empty in center but has some ornament around this empty space (but I was told it's because God is there and just no one can see him). I felt then that I was really and utterly mad. I felt like screaming but I was too tense to even move by my own will.
I was told a lot of things about God's anger and inevitable punishment for all my deeds and thoughts. Punishment is a sign that God 'cares' and wants to make people 'better' - I was told.
To my horror I felt no urge to please God in me. I was a real stubborn sinner, I realized.
For years I was too scared to even think about God in other aspects than a deathman and I knew (being quite honest with myself) that for my thoughts and doubts and for everything I should be and do but I can't - he must really hate me.
For many years I considered plenty unjust things in my life as signs of God's fully deserved hatred toward me.
One of my friend is an orthodox christian and she told me lots of times that I was treated wrongly in those religious 'exposures' and that she regrets that. But funny thing is - she does not argue with things I've been told, she just explains them supposed to mean 'God's love' and 'fear to upset God'. I stare at her every time and I wonder if she is kidding me. I don't get how can 'fear' and 'love' be mixed together and be explained as basically - the same thing?
I mean - logically - it's absurdity.
I hate being in ortodox christian churches. I hate their smell - with a touch of decay what many candles can not subdue. I hate the unnaturally dispirited silence in there from which my ears rang as if it were screaming around me.
My mother (who was an orthodox christian) told me it's my sins that make me feel that way in the 'holy places'.
Now I think it's not.
I analyzed a lot my senses and observations and I came to conclusion that (orthodox) christian religion is quite about a human terror of death. And because of my peace with the thought about dying eventually I can not get into spirit to share this human worship of the Lord who will save everyone from death (which is the essense of christianity as I get it).
However I think about beauty of our planet and the complexity of human body - and I doubt that they are result of mere chaotic combinations of microelements.
I wonder if there may be the outer creator of the life on Earth or maybe it's the planet itself has a mind of its own (like Solaris by S.Lem - I mean, nobody knows yet what is it inside our planet's core).
There are so many things that people don't know and fear to even think of...
I'm philosophical here but I'm open to hear other people's opinions :)

New Threads

Top Bottom