• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work/Life Balance

AutistAcolyte

We're getting ready to get into the busy part of the year for my job, and I'm also coming up on 1 year working here. I've enjoyed it for the most part, and I think the job is a good fit for me. One thing I'm working on is making sure that I have time to recharge after work and still have energy to make sure my friends don't think i dislike them. It's difficult, because I really do like what I'm doing, and I wouldn't have a problem with my schedule if I hadn't found out that my friends are feeling neglected. I want them to be happy, but I also want them to understand that my capacity to hang out is much less now that I'm employed (I met all of them before I was working and I was just coasting through school). I don't know if there's anything I'm looking for as far as help, I think I just want to voice a small frustration.

I think as you get older it becomes less of a concern - for example, I'm of the age where most of my friends have a significant other and/or young kids and so we might only meet once or twice a year.

When both my spouse and I were working we would enjoy our evenings and especially weekends. To make the most of our time we would share chores.

Our friends, being in similar situations, understood the need to plan to get together.

Some may call that transition in life "adulting". That's when, if the relationship(s) are important to you,...you make time,...make appointments to meet some place at a specific time. My wife does this,...about once a month she will make a "date" to go out with her girlfriends from nursing school, about once a week with her church "chick group", once a month with her co-worker friends, about once every two weeks with her dad, etc.

Some may call that transition in life "adulting". That's when, if the relationship(s) are important to you,...you make time,...make appointments to meet some place at a specific time. My wife does this,...about once a month she will make a "date" to go out with her girlfriends from nursing school, about once a week with her church "chick group", once a month with her co-worker friends, about once every two weeks with her dad, etc.
i tried to make this compromise with one friend and set a regular hang out time, but he said that if its scheduled like that it wouldn't feel authentic to him.

i tried to make this compromise with one friend and set a regular hang out time, but he said that if its scheduled like that it wouldn't feel authentic to him.
Setting aside scheduled time to hangout with somebody feels pretty authentic to me. It is HIS hangup, not yours.

New Threads

Top Bottom