• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Words I want revived in various languages

Keith

There are some words I want revived in certain languages because inferior sounding (in my opinion) loanwords replaced them.

apfelsine (German)- orange (replaced by Orange from French)
balompie (Spanish)- soccer (replaced by futbol from English)
pallacanestro (Italian)- basketball (replaced by basket from English)
azzurro (Italian)- blue (replaced by blu from English)

I KNOW
apfelsine means Chinese apple and is now only regional
balompie has an accent mark, which I can't type
il basket is shorthand
azzurro is etymologically connected to azure, and from what I understand is often reserved for that shade

Such is the evolution of language

I quite l like those words. I for one welcome this carcrash; even if it's one you just want to take a peek between your fingers every now and then. With the poor spelling on the internet, adding words like this to the english language (or any other language for that matter) is going to be hilarious.

In the Greek language, many Greek words for sport and technology have been replaced by foreign words, examples:

Τένις - αντισφαίριση (tennis)
Μπάσκετ - καλαθοσφαίριση (Basketball)
Κομπιούτερ - υπολογιστής (computer)

Although it's also true that the Greek words are still used, they are mostly gone from the colloquial langauge and are used mainly in official, formal language.

A classic example of how cultural globalisation is affecting the world's languages.

New Threads

Top Bottom