• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Words coming out completely mixed up and odd

BNeg01

Whenever I have to talk to somebody my boss for example, I think long and hard about what needs to be said, even if its a very simple sentence. When the time comes so say what needs to be said, it comes out awkwardly and stilted. Done that my whole life.

If I didn't explain it well I'm sorry. Does anybody else deal with this?

How does your boss make you feel?

How are you with words and phrasing around someone you've known a long time who isn't an authority figure?

I mix up my words a fair bit around my manager because multiple times a week he's pointing out my mistakes. In fact I had such a call today and I was stumbling a fair bit.

Ed

How does your boss make you feel?

How are you with words and phrasing around someone you've known a long time who isn't an authority figure?

I mix up my words a fair bit around my manager because multiple times a week he's pointing out my mistakes. In fact I had such a call today and I was stumbling a fair bit.

Ed
I like my boss. It's not only him. The only people I don't constantly do this with is close family. It's only with strangers, coworkers, teachers, people I have to be serious with.

Serious. Yeah - I wear that mask most of the time. Shy, polite etc. Whereas if I was to take the mask/lid off - I'd be a hyperactive oddball. But, even that side I don't show to my family. It's only my own company and very close friends.

Ed

It seems our brains process differently so I wonder if that can be part of what happens, and may make our communication different or less clear? It can be stressful when that happens. Do you find anything helps?

I can relate.

When I have a concern that I want to express, I often have to think,...pause,...think again,...find my words,...stumble over my mouth. Meanwhile, the other person is waiting,...waiting.

It's one thing to be an expert in a particular area and be able to let the words freely flow on that topic,...but it's the every day things that I struggle with.

This happens to me when I'm under a lot of stress or want to speak precisely about a subject which I am not completely competent in.

Put me in a church-organ and ask me about connecting a tracker action to a windchest? I'll get confused. I know reed-organ terminology ("stickers") but not pipe-organ terminology ("pitman" for the same part.)

Put me in a workshop and ask me about repairing a hand-cranked phonograph? I will talk torrents of gramophonic information for hours until asked to SHUT UP.

I do, and it also becomes more apparent with people I don't have a relaxed relationship with.

Look up "cluttering" and keep me posted.

Whenever I have to talk to somebody my boss for example, I think long and hard about what needs to be said, even if its a very simple sentence. When the time comes so say what needs to be said, it comes out awkwardly and stilted. Done that my whole life.

All of the time. It is like my brain goes dumb and my mouth numb. I just get stuck in my words.

Sometimes if I want to talk to someone about something specific, I rehearse what I want to say over and over again in my head until what I want to say sounds the way I want them to and I know That I’m not going to mess up since I know exactly what I am going to say.

I get this a lot myself, and then there is the added just forgetting a word mid-sentence.
This especially happens in the many meetings and discussions. What I say is “Sorry give me a second” Take a sip of water, take a deep breath and continue.
From personal learnings thus far (Only know I'm ASD for 1.5 yrs and getting the tools now) especially here in RSA where Autism awareness falls in the minus figures.
Sometimes, you need to forgive yourself, acknowledge that you need to take a breath and 93.28% of the time, when you say to someone you're conversing with. “Sorry, just give me a second” they would give you 20.

Just learning and getting tools on how to deal with yourself is affirming, takes some time, but you will get there. Some here has been there, some not yet, learn yourself, be kind to yourself and know you will need to take a breath and that is more than OKAY.

Even my post is a jumble and jump

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind? My doctor said he didn't believe medication would be effective.

I've found that Gabapentin helps. It increases motivation to socialize, increases confidence, increases self-esteem, and reduces anxiety, all contributing positively to the issue at hand, for me, at least.

I've found that Gabapentin helps. It increases motivation to socialize, increases confidence, increases self-esteem, and reduces anxiety, all contributing positively to the issue at hand, for me, at least.
Thank you, Fino.

The only people I don't constantly do this with is close family. It's only with strangers, coworkers, teachers, people I have to be serious with.

I'm the same way. One trick I've found that sometimes works is pretending that strangers and coworkers are friends or family. Thinking of them like family by telling myself they're good people, thinking positive things about them, smiling, and making eye contact seems to cause my brain to work as well as it does when I'm around my family.

New Threads

Top Bottom