• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wool and Wood

mmecr

Hello! My hobbies are anything to do with wool - spinning, dying, knitting, crochet, waving and probably more in the future
and wood - I am currently doing a furniture making course and am making a new spinning wheel.

Does anyone else here share these mediums?

Sounds cool. How did you learn wool spinning?

A homemade spinning wheel sounds fantastic!

I enjoy making wood boats: canoes and kayaks. Either stressed ocomee 3 mm marine plywood or cedar strip. I am working on a cedar strip canoe now, but have temporarily put it aside because of surgery.

I taught myself to spin by watching videos online. I fear that I have taken on too much of a big task with the spinning wheel It may turn out to be WSO (wheel shaped object) as spinners call them, rather than a functioning wheel. We shall see

Knitting socks is a huge special interest for me....and merino is my favorite yarn. I wish I had the space to dye and spin my own :)

Hello! My hobbies are anything to do with wool - spinning, dying, knitting, crochet, waving and probably more in the future
and wood - I am currently doing a furniture making course and am making a new spinning wheel.

Does anyone else here share these mediums?
We are going to be friends. I am a weaver.

I made a big, vertical-axis yarn-winding device for a friend. I don't have any pictures of it, but here's a detail from my massage table to show the style of joinry:
HPIM0336.JPG

The lap joints are for the sake of clearance when folded.

I've posted other wooden projects elsewhere on this site. There have been many, from housing to machinery to jewelry. In my main vocation, I was attracted to composite fiber construction because it let me mimic the use of material in a tree. Fate then led me into stitch 'n' glue small boat construction, and then the re-design of my composite work for more "hydrocarbon fiber" - AKA wood and bamboo. It is a very "live" structure, with the suspension springs fully integrated into the rest of the chassis. Controlled flex saves a lot of parts and weight compared to trying to have most things fully rigid, with complex connections to the springs.

LambordinghyOnTable.jpg.jpg

Here's my first pedal boat. Note the cane seat and the bow eye made from epoxy-soaked hemp rope. Science made it very fast.

Knitting socks is a huge special interest for me....and merino is my favorite yarn. I wish I had the space to dye and spin my own :)
Oh i do love some knitted socks. They are the best thing for the winter, I don't like synthetic socks they feel weird so in the winter I wear cotton socks with real wool socks on top. wool truly is a magical fibre for warming up!

Have you tried spinning wool with a drop spindle or a supported spindle? I am going to try making drop spindle soon and I have already made some supported spindles on the lathe. I'm more than happy to make another supported spindle for a fellow wool lover

We are going to be friends. I am

We are going to be friends. I am a weaver.
Ahs so coo!! what type of loom do you use? I'm built myself a huge pin loom to make cushion covers and I am going to attempt to upholster a piece I have made on to a small stool, using an upholstery technique we learned at college.
I did try to make a table loom of sorts but my first attempt failed and I gave up.. might give it another go later on.

I made a big, vertical-axis yarn-winding device for a friend. I don't have any pictures of it, but here's a detail from my massage table to show the style of joinry:
View attachment 103176

The lap joints are for the sake of clearance when folded.

I've posted other wooden projects elsewhere on this site. There have been many, from housing to machinery to jewelry. In my main vocation, I was attracted to composite fiber construction because it let me mimic the use of material in a tree. Fate then led me into stitch 'n' glue small boat construction, and then the re-design of my composite work for more "hydrocarbon fiber" - AKA wood and bamboo. It is a very "live" structure, with the suspension springs fully integrated into the rest of the chassis. Controlled flex saves a lot of parts and weight compared to trying to have most things fully rigid, with complex connections to the springs.

View attachment 103177

Here's my first pedal boat. Note the cane seat and the bow eye made from epoxy-soaked hemp rope. Science made it very fast.
I believe in the first picture is what they call a "niddy noddy" such a strange name for something!

That boat is really impressive. I am not familiar with what composite fibre construction is though I must say.

I spent 10 or more years raising sheep and angora rabbits, spinning the wool and knitting or weaving garments. I had some articles and a book published. I used to give workshops.

I no longer do this. There is not much need for warm garments in south Florida. I have a pound of merino yarn dyed with plants and mushrooms and I have no idea what to do with it.

Textiles still interest me greatly. I'm glad to see so many textile artists here.

Oh i do love some knitted socks. They are the best thing for the winter, I don't like synthetic socks they feel weird so in the winter I wear cotton socks with real wool socks on top. wool truly is a magical fibre for warming up!

Have you tried spinning wool with a drop spindle or a supported spindle? I am going to try making drop spindle soon and I have already made some supported spindles on the lathe. I'm more than happy to make another supported spindle for a fellow wool lover
I am not into synthetic fibers in general. They do feel weird! As far as wool goes, I can only wear merino, because it isn't itchy. I wear merino socks year round. I make ankle socks and no show socks out of fingering weight yarn for the warmer weather when I am not wearing sandals. Wool breathes really well and isn't too hot for me most of the time, especially merino/ silk blends.

I have never tried spinning. Is it easy? I will have to look for some videos :) Do you have any recommendations?

I spent 10 or more years raising sheep and angora rabbits, spinning the wool and knitting or weaving garments. I had some articles and a book published. I used to give workshops.

I no longer do this. There is not much need for warm garments in south Florida. I have a pound of merino yarn dyed with plants and mushrooms and I have no idea what to do with it.

Textiles still interest me greatly. I'm glad to see so many textile artists here.
That is amazing! Sounds like a lot of fun :) I admire the ability to create knitting patterns from scratch. What sort of patterns did you create? Do you still make anything? A lot of my family lives in Louisiana, so I know what you mean about not using as many warm clothing items in the warmer regions. I still make things for them though: baby blankets and stuffed animals, knitted bags, wash cloths, wine carriers, Christmas stockings etc. Also, my brother LOVES merino socks. He wears em all year round. My mom laughs because he wears them in 95 degree weather. I make him at least one new pair every year. LOL

You could always sell your yarn stash on Ravelry.com if you don't have use for it.

Ahs so coo!! what type of loom do you use? I'm built myself a huge pin loom to make cushion covers and I am going to attempt to upholster a piece I have made on to a small stool, using an upholstery technique we learned at college.
I did try to make a table loom of sorts but my first attempt failed and I gave up.. might give it another go later on.
I have a homemade tapestry loom, from an old canvas frame. I use mostly the Navajo style.

I also have an antique inkle loom that I use, tablet cards, a Guatamalan backstrap loom, and a round loom.

I am not into synthetic fibers in general. They do feel weird! As far as wool goes, I can only wear merino, because it isn't itchy. I wear merino socks year round. I make ankle socks and no show socks out of fingering weight yarn for the warmer weather when I am not wearing sandals. Wool breathes really well and isn't too hot for me most of the time, especially merino/ silk blends.

I have never tried spinning. Is it easy? I will have to look for some videos :) Do you have any recommendations?
Merino makes the world go round. I adore cotton/silk yarn. Goat is lovely, but tangles so easily. Bamboo makes me happy. I really like cotton dishcloth yarn for warping my looms and for heddle strings. It's very sturdy and doesn't pill.

I believe in the first picture is what they call a "niddy noddy" such a strange name for something!

That boat is really impressive. I am not familiar with what composite fibre construction is though I must say.
Most composite fiber structures are still fiberglass, but we changed the name to cover some of the newer fibers. Carbon is well-known, but there are many others, including natural ones. Spectra is very light and extremely strong in tension only, and is made from the same formula as a polyethylene plastic bag, just with the atoms arranged in line.
The first glass fibers were produced for the experiments that finally led to a proper understanding of how materials hold together, and were the first things known to approach their theoretical strength. They still remain brittle, though, being flexible only by being thin. We can make tough fiberglass structures using brittle glass and brittle resin because a crack can't pass straight through, getting diverted at every glue-glass interface.

Merino makes the world go round. I adore cotton/silk yarn. Goat is lovely, but tangles so easily. Bamboo makes me happy. I really like cotton dishcloth yarn for warping my looms and for heddle strings. It's very sturdy and doesn't pill.
I have never worked with merino, I'm always afraid I will mess it up and buying as an already spun wool seems pretty expensive

New Threads

Top Bottom