• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wondering Nerve

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I’ve been making attempts to get back into story writing. This is what I’ve done so far for my second story.

Wondering Nerve

“Howdy, sir! What will you need?”

A grimy human mechanic wearing a dark blue uniform with a twangy accent asked Sondo after the therap rolled his car window down. AC/DC’s music played on the boom box somewhere in the garage and clashed with the new Oribital music on Sondo’s car stereo before he turned off the vehicle.

“Just a standard oil change. Nothing special.”

“Yes, sir. Just give me your keys and go wait inside. It’ll be done before you know it!”

Sondo had forgotten to get his car’s oil changed for a month now. This was a bad habit of his. He was just glad he was free this day. He handed the mechanic his keys, his nostrils taking in the smells of oil and gas, and stepped into the foyer. The linoleum floor was stained with various smears and the chairs lined against the wall had dents in their plastic but this was to be expected of an oil change garage. He still pulled his tail to his body since it was like another hand to him and he didn’t like it getting germs he didn’t want on it. Another customer, a female feline line therap, sat with her children on the chairs near the door leading out to the parking lot. The older child was probably about three or four and she gave Sondo that blank kid look before looking away. She probably had the stranger danger outlook instilled in her by her mother. Her little brother, who was a toddler, on the other hand, looked at Sondo with curiosity. Pacifier in mouth, starchy little clothes, eyes full of wonder, and little fuzzy tail. He ambled towards Sondo and stopped by his right knee. His little paw-like hand balled into a fist and he bopped Sondo’s leg. His mother got up to get him, apologizing to Sondo but he chuckled to let her know he didn’t mind. The boy went over to the counter and got his hands on a magazine then turned to Sondo. “Muh!!! Muh!!!” The holophrases were funny. He wanted to give the magazine to Sondo and toddled back to him, crumpling the pages as he did so. Sondo calmly opened his hand and let the little fellow push the crinkly papers into it. He noticed the text line “Mr. Lucky is on the loose!” in the foreground of the cover. Suddenly, he felt two little arms wrap around his leg in a hug. The cute little monster squeezed as tight as he could and pushed his face into the adult therap’s knee. Tiny claws poked out of his fingers but they were too short to poke into the fabric of Sondo’s pant leg. His mother came back and scraped him off while reprising her apology.

Intriguing, and by that i mean I would like to read more. You are good with descriptive detail. What comments I might make center on one or two minor quibbles having to do with punctuation and the long paragraph. Nothing major and the things that are more tied to an authors individuality and views so I will not burden you with them here.

Writing can offer challenges that real life does not. You create them and work through them when you express another character. I have found this most helpful in connecting to the world. In order to write any character, autistic or otherwise, you have to put yourself in touch with their mindset, their feelings, and their expression of those feelings. That cannot be anything other than helpful.

Please keep at it!

This is great, you have a great idea here and I think your details to create the scene and world are vivid and original. This is near publishable, keep on writing. Do you have the story worked out? Stick at it and get yourself into print!

I love it. Some of them are people, some are half-human, half-animal-- But who is Mr Lucky and why is he loose? Good hidden cliffhanger--I'm hoping you can get a chance to write more!

I agree with the others - very intriguing and colorful. You give a good sense of the characters. I too would love to read more ;)

Whoa, stop the presses. Who is the author? When does this book get published? You get a lot of babes as an author. Let your creativity rip!!!

This is great, you have a great idea here and I think your details to create the scene and world are vivid and original. This is near publishable, keep on writing. Do you have the story worked out? Stick at it and get yourself into print!

I have rough ideas all in my head.

I love it. Some of them are people, some are half-human, half-animal-- But who is Mr Lucky and why is he loose? Good hidden cliffhanger--I'm hoping you can get a chance to write more!

I was inspired by David Brin and S. Andrew Swann to have a world where humans aren’t the only Earthlings.
As for Mr. Lucky: He steals cop cars and always has things go his way. I would have to tell you privately where the inspiration for him comes from because it’s NSFW. I’ll give you a hint that he’s the subject of a song from 1993.

I agree with the others - very intriguing and colorful. You give a good sense of the characters. I too would love to read more ;)

Thank you! When I overcome the pesky writer’s block, there will be more. ;) Have you read my previous story?

Whoa, stop the presses. Who is the author? When does this book get published? You get a lot of babes as an author. Let your creativity rip!!!

That would be a dream come true. Like I asked earlier, have you read my previous story?

Dang it! I was going to give a quick update but the text got accidentally deleted! :( I’ll try to recall and salvage it from memory.

I could’ve done more salvaging; an update was just really needed.

Rowdy Boy squirmed in the her hands until Therap Mom took him by the scruff of his neck to settle him down. He looked around curiously suspended in the air with his watery eyes. Everyone except Staring Girl thought it was funny. She almost looked menacing. Sondo stood up to go over to the drink cooler, his throat still feeling soar from the previous night. Rowdy Boy batted at him, still wanting to play, and his little claws caught Sondo’s arm just under his sleeve. Therap Mom cupped his little hand and apologized once more, sweat pouring down her brow. “I never knew he liked to play rough!” Little red lines appeared on his scratched skin but Sondo sucked in the pain and held in his irritation towards the little monster. He remembered the drink cooler and pulled a tea from it while one of the workers came in to tell Therap Mom her vehicle was ready. Annoyingly, it turned out someone had shaken up the bottle because it fizzed right out and splashed all over his lap. Grimy Mechanic noticed, said “That’ll be on the house, sir!” and readied to accept Sondo’s payment for his oil change.

Last edited:
I’m going to be looking over my shoulder every time I’m in a mechanic’s waiting room now. And I’ll be sure to wear thick pants and long sleeves.

New Threads

Top Bottom