• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why some (unhappy) people don't follow advice

A phrase I heard: People don't change until the pain of the problem becomes worse than the pain of the solution.

Seems very true to me.
What would endlessly frustrate me, if I let it, is how some people remain stuck at Stage 1 indefinitely. In other words, some people never figure out that there IS a solution. Not only can't they see it, they can't even follow your lantern as you lead the way.

Like the bachelors who complain they have not mated by age 30 ... do NOTHING to change that ... and are in the same boat at 60.

I just have to pull away. That's the utility of this model: don't knock yourself out for someone who is immovable. Cast not your smiles before swine.

What would endlessly frustrate me, if I let it, is how some people remain stuck at Stage 1 indefinitely. In other words, some people never figure out that there IS a solution. Not only can't they see it, they can't even follow your lantern as you lead the way.

Like the bachelors who complain they have not mated by age 30 ... do NOTHING to change that ... and are in the same boat at 60.

I just have to pull away. That's the utility of this model: don't knock yourself out for someone who is immovable. Cast not your smiles before swine.

There is a huge amount of frustrated 60, 50, 40, 30+ males where l live.

Precontemplation ("not ready") – "People are not intending to take action in the foreseeable future, and can be unaware that their behaviour is problematic"
  1. People do not like to admit their faults.
  2. People deny psychology, they think they are "humans" not animals and "humans so complex and blah blah..."
  3. If problem they facing is not critical enough for their well being
    e.g. "smoking does not kill you today so bad of smoking is up for a debate"
    or "person is working in grocery store, he has apartment, money his life is going somewhat" if he was unable to find job he would try to work something out about it, they will not put too much effort to solve "optional" problems.

In other words improving is not good enough motivation to change your habits/thinking. Dont want to step out of comfort zone (comfort zone does not mean its actually "comfortable" in there, its simply state of being habitual to the person).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom