• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why isn't space and rocket engineering as awesome for you as it is for me?

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
Everything about space, rockets, relativity and quantom mechanics is absolutely mind blowing. Just the numbers in themself are just so massive in their scale, wether big or small, that I can't help to feel amazed every time I read one.

That is just the numbers though. The ideas and how the universe works are even more mind boggling. The idea that time travel isn't just possible, but something that happens to practicly everything in the universe, or that particles can exist in every position in the universe at once. These are ideas that play with our preconceptions of how the world works, and spits in their face.
When I talk to Someone, when I give them my standard go to explanation of space, which still boggles my mind. The general reaction is just 'that's cool' even though I just told them they are looking thousands of years into the past when they look at stars in the night sky ( not strictly true, but, true somtimes)
I just don't understand how this wouldn't boggle people's minds. Completely shattering their preconceptions about how the universe works, that they are looking at things in the sky as they where hundreds of years before they where born, it just means nothing to them.

Maybe it isn't the facts, maybe the way in which I present them. I can be like that, I know. But but... it is just so awesome. I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be something that someone wouldn't be interested in.
Maybe I am overly obsessive. Yes, yes I am overly obsessive. Still, what I say I think holds true.

To end it off, here are some facts that if you want you can completely ignore.

-light travels fast, but in the scale of the universe, not that fast. It takes time for light to travel from one point to another, so long. One of our base values in astrophysics in the lightyear, the distance in which light travels in a year. When you look up at the night sky, you are looking at light that has taken years to melenia to travel to us. When you look up at that random faint star on a good night. You are looking hundreds if not thousands of years into the past. With the right telescopes, you can look billions of years into the past from your own back yard.

Gravity, speed, and energy can all affect how time works. If you are traveling near the speed of light, you would be experiencing time more slowly. You feel the same in your ship, but for every second that passes for you, a year could pass for people back on earth. Gravity has an affect to. The closer and closer you get the the event horizon of a black hole, the slower your time becomes relative from someone far away. To you, you fall into the black hole, and everything feels normal, except for the gravitational forces ripping you apart. From an outside observer, the closer you get, the slower you move, until you stop on the edge of the black hole. Then you stay there for infinity. While you fall into the black hole, the universe will speed up to the point in which hypothetically, and infinate amount of time passes in the outside universe before you fall in. For you, you fall in and you die. To the person watching you, you never fall in. Different observers see different things happening to a person or object. Something might happen for you, but might not happen to someone else. There is no correct answer even though both of you observed completely different things happening.

The main liquid engines for the retired space shuttle, the RS-25s use powerful pumps to pump fuel into the engine chamber to be ignited. The use two pumps, a 'low pressure' pump that compresses fuel to 450 psi (your car tires are 40 psi) then a high pressure pumps, that pushes the fuel into the combustion chamber at pressures exceeding 2000 psi. They pump around 500 pound of fuel a second with a combined horsepower of 30,000 horsepower. Near 30 times more powerful than the buggati veyron. All that for one type of fuel. So they had another pump to pump the oxidizer as well.
Temperatures in the combustion chamber reach near the melting points of metal. Is order to cool the bells and chamber, they used the exhaust from the turbopumps as coolant even though it was facemeltingly hot to begin with, and also using the supercooled fuel by pumping it through tiny holes in the bell or nozel of the rocket.
One RS-25 can lift 550,000 pounds. The equivalent weight of 50 elephants strait up into the air.

Ok, completely divulged into my interests and gave an information dump. Who cares, don't like it don't read it. It was fun to just write about. Like seriously though, how could you not find this stuff cool? Serious question, if you don't i would love to know why.

Hehehehehe. The same reason why you probably do not get THRILLED by memorizing Homer in the Greek. OH JOY! I love it and will most likely die with Homer on my lips...........

Why isn't space and rocket engineering
as awesome for you as it is for me?

Because I'm not you. :)

Do I find this stuff amazing?
Yeah.
Do I spend any amount of time thinking about it?
Nah.

You and my husband would get along great. And have so many things to tell one another. When he talks about his interests, I listen, he once spent the afternoon deciding how long the grooves on an LP record would be when straightened out in a continuous line. While he was doing that, I did laundry and made a meal, I'm far too 'down to earth' and practical to wonder about something that makes little difference to my everyday life. It's all very well to consider the universe, but I want to see and experience it, and touch it with my fingers.

Last edited:
Everything about space, rockets, relativity and quantom mechanics is absolutely mind blowing. Just the numbers in themself are just so massive in their scale, wether big or small, that I can't help to feel amazed every time I read one.

That is just the numbers though. The ideas and how the universe works are even more mind boggling. The idea that time travel isn't just possible, but something that happens to practicly everything in the universe, or that particles can exist in every position in the universe at once. These are ideas that play with our preconceptions of how the world works, and spits in their face.
When I talk to Someone, when I give them my standard go to explanation of space, which still boggles my mind. The general reaction is just 'that's cool' even though I just told them they are looking thousands of years into the past when they look at stars in the night sky ( not strictly true, but, true somtimes)
I just don't understand how this wouldn't boggle people's minds. Completely shattering their preconceptions about how the universe works, that they are looking at things in the sky as they where hundreds of years before they where born, it just means nothing to them.

Maybe it isn't the facts, maybe the way in which I present them. I can be like that, I know. But but... it is just so awesome. I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be something that someone wouldn't be interested in.
Maybe I am overly obsessive. Yes, yes I am overly obsessive. Still, what I say I think holds true.

To end it off, here are some facts that if you want you can completely ignore.

-light travels fast, but in the scale of the universe, not that fast. It takes time for light to travel from one point to another, so long. One of our base values in astrophysics in the lightyear, the distance in which light travels in a year. When you look up at the night sky, you are looking at light that has taken years to melenia to travel to us. When you look up at that random faint star on a good night. You are looking hundreds if not thousands of years into the past. With the right telescopes, you can look billions of years into the past from your own back yard.

Gravity, speed, and energy can all affect how time works. If you are traveling near the speed of light, you would be experiencing time more slowly. You feel the same in your ship, but for every second that passes for you, a year could pass for people back on earth. Gravity has an affect to. The closer and closer you get the the event horizon of a black hole, the slower your time becomes relative from someone far away. To you, you fall into the black hole, and everything feels normal, except for the gravitational forces ripping you apart. From an outside observer, the closer you get, the slower you move, until you stop on the edge of the black hole. Then you stay there for infinity. While you fall into the black hole, the universe will speed up to the point in which hypothetically, and infinate amount of time passes in the outside universe before you fall in. For you, you fall in and you die. To the person watching you, you never fall in. Different observers see different things happening to a person or object. Something might happen for you, but might not happen to someone else. There is no correct answer even though both of you observed completely different things happening.

The main liquid engines for the retired space shuttle, the RS-25s use powerful pumps to pump fuel into the engine chamber to be ignited. The use two pumps, a 'low pressure' pump that compresses fuel to 450 psi (your car tires are 40 psi) then a high pressure pumps, that pushes the fuel into the combustion chamber at pressures exceeding 2000 psi. They pump around 500 pound of fuel a second with a combined horsepower of 30,000 horsepower. Near 30 times more powerful than the buggati veyron. All that for one type of fuel. So they had another pump to pump the oxidizer as well.
Temperatures in the combustion chamber reach near the melting points of metal. Is order to cool the bells and chamber, they used the exhaust from the turbopumps as coolant even though it was facemeltingly hot to begin with, and also using the supercooled fuel by pumping it through tiny holes in the bell or nozel of the rocket.
One RS-25 can lift 550,000 pounds. The equivalent weight of 50 elephants strait up into the air.

Ok, completely divulged into my interests and gave an information dump. Who cares, don't like it don't read it. It was fun to just write about. Like seriously though, how could you not find this stuff cool? Serious question, if you don't i would love to know why.
The view from christians is we are part of the body of Christ ,therefore you can't have more than two hands or 2 feet or two lungs ,that is how a body works! The body will become unwell if it had more than two of these things it couldn't support it .
So therefore that is why we are unique so maybe!!!!you would be a teacher and I am an apostle.
That's the Christian viewpoint

One of my exactly impossible dream is to live or die in galactic center. I have no idea why I've been so obsessed with this thought since the first time I read the chapter about astronomy in textbook, roughly 10 years ago.

Galactic centers are full of activity. To the point In which stellar ionizing radiation would defiantly fulfil the dying aspect of your dream. As beautiful as high energy objects are, they are best be avoided. I wouldn't want to be fried by the extreme solar activities of massive stars.

I was privileged to have lived in the 50s, 60s and 70s. An Era when the space race was very real where both taxpayers and politicians once supported it with great enthusiasm. Besides, one of my father's best friends at the Naval Academy (Class of 46) was one of the original Mercury Astronauts, Wally Schirra.

For me it's more about the history- and the personalities than the science itself.

It's interesting stuff but over my head. That's why I am interested but not super excited. If I could understand more than basic math I think I would enjoy that sorta thing more. My brain is wired it seems for more terrestrial interest. Birds, fossils, plants, ecosystems, fish; those are my science interest that need minimal to no math to understand well, and they combine nicely with art and roadtrips and maps. I can understand enough about space to understand how exciting it could be, though. I spent several years reading about it off and on but finally gave up. I do enjoy meteors and meteorites and am hoping someday that things will work out to view one of the really good showers from a prairie/plain/desert type area away from lots of light.

I bet I'm just as interested in that stuff as you are, given that I am an astrophysicist and I always wanted to be an astronaut.

I bet I'm just as interested in that stuff as you are, given that I am an astrophysicist and I always wanted to be an astronaut.
I am an enthusiast. Through a lifetime of obsession I have earned a lot, but now I actualy have to put in the work to understand the mathematics under to keep learning. I am rusty on algebra, let alone delving into calculus and other higher mathematics. Though I do know the basics of calculus, I can't do all the tricks, only finding the area under a curve using summations of infintecimals. I have skill, but lack disaplin.

What is your field of study?

I have done research in many different wavebands, mostly of compact objects. I don't have to do a lot of calculus problems for my research, but knowing the concepts is pretty essential.

I used to love learning about space when I was younger, and still do to a degree. The most amazing thing about it for me is just how uncomprehendingly big everything out there is, and hearing about the possibility of life on other planets. It makes me feel less lonely.

However, when it comes to the math and technical stuff, that's when I start to lose interest. I've never been particularly strong in math and I think most of the higher level stuff is over my head.

Yes!
Space is one of my most fascinating interests too.
And I feel the same about it.
I also know when I start talking about it I get the same
"who cares?" reaction. Yes, it's deep.
But, that is part of why I like it.
I think the same awesome things about seeing thousands of years back in time and particles, black holes, quasars,
white dwarfs, asteroids, how it all works.
It is so amazing. So beyond the mundane everyday world.
Love it.
Not so much on the math part either though.
Not that I couldn't, but, the study at this point isn't where I am at.
The rest though, oh yes.

Have you ever found a meteorite?
Held it and thought about what it really is in time
and where it's from, what elements it's made of, etc.
I am fortunate to own few.

I have an obsession with rocks/crystals in general too.
These are liquid drops from the meteor that made the crater in AZ Tektites.
LeanneBDand 005.JPG
LeanneBDand 015.JPG

Piling on to the above, you clearly have a noble passion that most others don't share, either because they can't or don't care to. If you really want them to share it then find a way to connect it to their daily lives.

Piling on to the above, you clearly have a noble passion that most others don't share, either because they can't or don't care to. If you really want them to share it then find a way to connect it to their daily lives.
It's connected to everyone's daily life since we are living on a speck of dust in the midst of it all.
Everytime we look at the night sky, the stars, or catch a glimpse of our own star there is visual connection.
It's just a question of is it a special interest or not.
Which doesn't matter unless you find someone of like mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom