• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do trailer parks have such a bad rap?

Hey after living with only one bathroom all my life, I need two. You have to keep in mind if you want someone else at some point to live with you and how much of a pain it is, sometimes literally when you have to wait to use the bathroom.
I definitely want a 2nd bathroom, I can't hold my pee like I used to :D

Trailer parks = trailer trash = white trash

To be honest I know little about them (we don't have them in the UK), but films like 8 mile create the impression they want you to see of them. Here in the UK the cloest to this is the gypsy/irish/travellers/pikees who illegally take shelter on public land.

Trailer parks = trailer trash = white trash

To be honest I know little about them (we don't have them in the UK), but films like 8 mile create the impression they want you to see of them. Here in the UK the cloest to this is the gypsy/irish/travellers/pikees who illegally take shelter on public land.
I've seen 8 mile and not something I'm fond of.

The ones they build now are like a house on wheels. That is to say, they have the same residential security hardware that you'd find in a regular house. The one I grew up in was a different story. The back door could be opened by shaking it hard enough. However, if that didn't work, all you had to do was pry the jalousie windows out enough to remove a pane, access the crank, and then open it enough to get the remaining panes out. It had a flat roof, cheap paneling and all the creaks and rattles you'd want. It was "trailer trash" at its finest.:D

What you're looking at sounds very nice. The "court" I grew up in was . . . well, let the magic of Google satellite illustrate it:

Well thank you for sharing this with me. I'm rethinking the whole scenario now and realize this would not be in my best interest.

Well, the trailer park I'm considering seems to have well maintained grounds with a swimming pool, playground, clubhouse and basketball court. The inside of the trailer is very nice....large kitchen with appliances, nice built in shelves in the living room, garden tub in the bathroom with separate shower and walk in closet. 3br/2bath
But it's the outside I'm worried about. Are they easy to break in to? Can I feel secure by myself (i'm a petite woman)? I don't think they have security guard there.
You are describing a 16x80 probably with vinyl siding and shingle roof with drywall interior. It probably has a steel front door with deadbolt, and fiberglass back door, both with screen doors. 2x6 construction and heavily insulated. Maybe only 5 windows. It's the closest thing you will get to a modern house. You can break into my 90 year old house much easier than getting into that home, but anything can be broken into. I don't have all those amenities, and my mortgage and taxes are at least that much.

Another important but basic thing to consider is your safety relative to the elements. Mother nature in Texas can be quite unforgiving.

Just understand that mobile homes don't necessarily hold up well in seriously bad weather.
That's a heavy home, and assuming it's properly tied down to modern standards, it will be standing there after a hurricane while all the older homes will be gone.

The ones they build now are like a house on wheels. That is to say, they have the same residential security hardware that you'd find in a regular house. The one I grew up in was a different story. The back door could be opened by shaking it hard enough. However, if that didn't work, all you had to do was pry the jalousie windows out enough to remove a pane, access the crank, and then open it enough to get the remaining panes out. It had a flat roof, cheap paneling and all the creaks and rattles you'd want. It was "trailer trash" at its finest.:D

What you're looking at sounds very nice. The "court" I grew up in was . . . well, let the magic of Google satellite illustrate it:

My records (I have records because I've been in this business as a side job since 1988) indicate that is (or was) a 15 lot park owned by Neal Nichols. Is that who the landlord was when you were there? Too bad about the location of the sewage treatment plant. Otherwise it's the perfect size of a park, and close to Springfield.
They turned those old tracks into the Lost Bridge Trail from Springfield to Rochester. I was in town once and ran the trail from Springfield to Rochester and back, back when I could run. I think that was about 11 miles. I wasn't in as good of shape as I thought. I found out what hitting the wall means at about 9 miles.

I agree that you just need to make sure it's a decent one.

My dad owns a trailer park that we lived in when I was born. Today he has some great tenants in it. Several are from Mexico and they are all very nice, hard working families just trying to live a good life. In fact my daughter's best friend is a Mexican boy that lives there. They are a nice family that works hard and goes to church and they live a quiet, normal life.

Just have to do your homework and scope out the area for rif raf.

Sheesh, talk about a small world. I had a funny feeling that by posting the image someone would pick up on something. By chance do you know me by other than Sportster?:D
LOL, give me a minute... Just kidding.
I have been nearby you though. I only have a few relatives, and they are around Huntsville.
I think I was at your campus once when I was visiting some years back. We were looking for a track for my kid to run at. If it's the one I'm thinking about, we found it at the football stadium but it was all locked up. No way to get in. Found a grade school with a track and used that instead.

I have the good fortune to live in a small town with a tiny crime rate. In part because if someone commits a crime, everyone knows who it was :)

Just watch out for slimy slumlords and sketchy neighbors. Same as anywhere else, I suppose. Otherwise, if it's economically feasible and practical, it's totally fine.

My experience with trailer parks/trailers has been somewhat minimal, but positive. :) One of my aunts has lived in a trailer (not in a trailer park necessarily) for years and raised her family there, as well. I always loved visiting there when I was a kid, and still do. I have fond memories of poring thru all the vintage children's books she kept in a smallish bookcase in a corner of her living room, and hanging out with one of my older cousins in her room, watching Nick Jr. on her small TV, and admiring the tiny porcelain animals, Happy Meal Toys and Beanie Babies she kept on her shelves. My aunt's trailer is kind of located in a forested area - she maintains numerous bird/hummingbird-feeders and often sees squirrels, chipmunks and the occasional bear. :) She also used to take in stray cats and even had a room for them filled with scratching posts and cat houses built onto the side of her trailer, too.

My aunt's trailer has always seemed very cozy and inviting to me, probably because I've come to associate it with family. It pretty much felt like a small house, and there was always room for everybody. :) I remember being somewhat shocked and confused when I grew older and learned that negative stereotypes surrounding trailers/trailer parks were a thing. I always thought trailers were really cool, like houses on wheels.

I haven't ever actually lived in a trailer park either, although I do drive by one in particular sometimes....it looks really well-kept and its name has "Flamingo" in it. There's even a sign out front flanked by two pink cast-iron flamingo statues, which I think is awesome. :)

TL;DR: I haven't ever really lived in trailers or a trailer park, but the ones I've seen/visited seem really nice overall, so if you're thinking of living in a trailer or a trailer park, I say go for it. :) I feel like they really don't deserve the stigma that's attached to them all too often.

Trailer means poor person and many are into crime but not all, I dont think owning a trailer is a bad thing tbh since houses costs over a million bucks and are out of reach but a mobil home is in reach and ya have a permanent home is what matters, I am still sharing rooms because rent is so high in my area and getting a house out of the question so i have no shame in buying a mobile home if I had the money, a house is a house and that is what matters. I used to live in a trailer but not in a park but in the foothills in the middle of no where, its not so bad as long as ya have a ride to take ya to work 30 miles away. These days the only American dream that seems possible is getting a mobile home!

I think a lot of people blow things like this WAY out of proportion. Media is one of the key culprits here right alongside word of mouth, so it's no wonder. So long as you consider the variables as with any other property - things like the locale, the people around you, availability and pricing, distance from businesses, and so forth - I really don't see what the big deal or stigma is.

So I'm white trash living in a trailer for one in the middle of anywhere, USA? I don't know that my neighbors would necessarily agree with that! You weren't invited for a couple of beers and some good old fashioned fun anyways, so go back to whatever suburban pavement-laden paradise you spawned from :D

Because Trailer Parks are full of people who we English would generally describe as Chavs.

The kind of teenage/early 20's Mothers with 6 kids by 3 different guys who end up on TV chat shows trying to find out who the Father is to each child.

New Threads

Top Bottom