• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do trailer parks have such a bad rap?

Another important but basic thing to consider is your safety relative to the elements. Mother nature in Texas can be quite unforgiving.

Just understand that mobile homes don't necessarily hold up well in seriously bad weather.
Oh yes. Texas has had many devastating and fatal tornadoes. I know mobile homes don't stand a chance against Mother Nature. I guess that answers my own question. I won't be getting a trailer. I'm too much of a scaredy cat! My nerves can barely handle the quadreplex I live in now. Thanks Judge !

Oh yes. Texas has had many devastating and fatal tornadoes. I know mobile homes don't stand a chance against Mother Nature. I guess that answers my own question. I won't be getting a trailer. I'm too much of a scaredy cat! My nerves can barely handle the quadreplex I live in now. Thanks Judge !

Well, keep in mind mobile homes flourish primarily for one reason. It's relatively affordable housing.

You just have to weigh it all against all the negative possibilities. Sometimes you just have to compromise. The important thing though is to have weighed all the real positive and negative considerations rather than jump into something important without having worked most of the angles.

Well, keep in mind mobile homes flourish primarily for one reason. It's relatively affordable housing.

You just have to weigh it all against all the negative possibilities. Sometimes you just have to compromise. The important thing though is to have weighed all the real positive and negative considerations rather than jump into something important without having worked most of the angles.
Agreed, I have done my homework on this particular trailer park and while I love the affordability ($865 per month) for a spacious 3bdr/2bath and wouldn't have to worry about yard maintenance, BUT the safety factor weighs more heavily towards my decision to NOT live there. Peace of mind is my #1 priority.

Agreed, I have done my homework on this particular trailer park and while I love the affordability ($865 per month) for a spacious 3bdr/2bath and wouldn't have to worry about yard maintenance, BUT the safety factor weighs more heavily towards my decision to NOT live there. Peace of mind is my #1 priority.

Have you considered contacting the local police department and perhaps asking a desk sergeant about any known calls to that complex? How often and what the nature of such calls might be? Perhaps they can also comment about that part of town in particular.

I had to learn of such things the hard way, when I once moved to a place I thought was relatively safe and wasn't. The police explained it to me when I had to report an auto burglary. I ended up moving a few months later. The apartment complex was simply too close to a freeway onramp...ideal for thieves making quick exits. Something I never thought of.

I've been entertaining the thought of moving again as well. So much to consider...and so much information out there online, but not necessarily accurate either. Not an easy thing to ponder...with rents going up astronomically in some cases.

Last edited:
Have you considered contacting the local police department and perhaps asking a desk sergeant about any known calls to that complex? How often and what the nature of such calls might be? Perhaps they can also comment about that part of town in particular.

I've been entertaining the thought of moving again as well. So much to consider...and so much information out there online, but not necessarily accurate either. Not an easy thing to ponder...with rents going up astronomically in some cases.
That's a good idea. If I had the money, I would like to build my own indestructible dome home.
http://wondergressive.com/dome-homes-virtually-indestructible/

The best bit of security a woman alone can have is a big, well-trained, dog. But I have been told that any dog is an excellent addition in case of worries about people breaking in.

What you describe sounds like a delightful place. I have known trailer parks straight out of white trash hell, and those which are wonderful communities. In the South, which already has a tendency to oppress all its residents, it is a cheap way to house people and dysfunctional families find they are thrown out of their other options because of the behavior of some of their family members. It is sadly rare to be thrown out of the kinds of trailer parks they wind up in, and thus, the stereotype.

Also, both TV news and crime dramas have a tendency to increased someone's perception of their personal vulnerability. So you also need to assess if this is a realistic worry, and how much of one it is.
A 45 is more effective. I do like dogs though.

I had to learn of such things the hard way, when I once moved to a place I thought was relatively safe and wasn't. The police explained it to me when I had to report an auto burglary. I ended up moving a few months later. The apartment complex was simply too close to a freeway onramp...ideal for thieves making quite exits. Something I never thought of.

Interesting that you mention that, knew of an acquaintance who bought a small store at the street level in an apartment building. It was right beside a highway entrance ramp. He was held up countless times, and sold the place within a year. I imagine it was sold many times, and each previous owner didn't tell the new one about the problem with its location.

Last edited:
I hate all living areas that are not houses, mansions, estates, or manors.
I don't like complexes either. If I could afford to build my own, I would have a quaint cottage-like dome house with a swimming pool where I could swim anytime I wanted with indestructible windows. That's a pretty far-fetched idea though.

I don't like complexes either. If I could afford to build my own, I would have a quaint cottage-like dome house with a swimming pool where I could swim anytime I wanted with indestructible windows. That's a pretty far-fetched idea though.
Maybe not, depending on what state you live in. I live in Maryland and the housing prices are ridiculous. A 2 bed room apartment is $1,000 a mouth. Now, in an area like Virginia that's right below me; I can pay say $500 on a mortgage for a place 4-5 times the size.

It's almost to the point that once I move, I may just call some complexes here and tell them their rent is too high and I'm glad I bought a house out of state. That's how much I loath this area.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth,Texas metroplex and a decent home within a decent neighborhood rents for $1200-$1500. That's for a 3bedroom, 2 bath house with garage and a fenced in backyard. As for buying, the decent homes here are anywhere from $115,000- $200,000 and, depending on your credit score, the mortgage is $500-$900.

If you are living by yourself, do you really need a second bath and two extra bedrooms? (Losing them should bring your total costs down.)

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth,Texas metroplex and a decent home within a decent neighborhood rents for $1200-$1500. That's for a 3bedroom, 2 bath house with garage and a fenced in backyard. As for buying, the decent homes here are anywhere from $115,000- $200,000 and, depending on your credit score, the mortgage is $500-$900.
Do you need to stay in Dallas, or could you transfer? Those housing prices aren't bad though depending on the size of the house.

If you are living by yourself, do you really need a second bath and two extra bedrooms? (Losing them should bring your total costs down.)
Hey after living with only one bathroom all my life, I need two. You have to keep in mind if you want someone else at some point to live with you and how much of a pain it is, sometimes literally when you have to wait to use the bathroom.

You have to keep in mind if you want someone else at some point to live with you and how much of a pain it is, sometimes literally when you have to wait to use the bathroom.
At one point, I shared a single bathroom with my wife and ten children.

I want a guest bedroom set up for my daughter and grandkids. That's why I need more than just one bedroom. I plan on hosting Christmas gatherings with my daughter and her family. And, occasionally I want my grandkids spending summers/weekends and such.

New Threads

Top Bottom