• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do some NTs want to "cure" us so badly?

In "mainstream" society, everyone has to think the same. Being unique is not really valued, even now in the 21st century. You HAVE to be "normal" like everyone else. I've learned to accept myself the way I am. I don't need to be "cured". If anyone has an issue with ASD people, that's simply THEIR issue. They can kindly stay away from me. I will stim when and where I want. Enough ranting for now ;)

I find that a lot of very neurotypical people pride themselves on "being unique". But it's only really valued if it's the right type of unique, i.e. "unique, but like everybody else, only we're not calling it the norm".
Why do they insist on lying to themselves like that? If they want unique, and we have it, why can't they accept our particular type of unique?

I find that a lot of very neurotypical people pride themselves on "being unique". But it's only really valued if it's the right type of unique, i.e. "unique, but like everybody else, only we're not calling it the norm".
Why do they insist on lying to themselves like that? If they want unique, and we have it, why can't they accept our particular type of unique?
My sentiments exactly!

It's not only autism. They want to cure "non-hetero" and transgender people too. They tried to"cure" lefthandedness The question is why they want to cure anything that doesn't fit the mold of majority.
I believe a lot more want to "cure" autism than cure homosexuality and transgenderness. What about people with or without autism who want to cure the Schizotypic form?

Last edited:
I think the reason people so desperately want to cure Autism, mental illness, transgenderism, various sexual orientations, etc., is because it is easier to think that everyone else has a problem than it is to accept that you are a bigot.

But even those who don't want to cure transgenderism and various sexual orientations might still want to cure mental illness and even the "big bad" autism. Did you note that?

But even those who don't want to cure transgenderism and various sexual orientations might still want to cure mental illness and even the "big bad" autism. Did you note that?
People with mental illness and Autism, ESPECIALLY mental illness, are unfairly stigmatised and that is a massive understatement.
On the news, whenever someone commits a heinous crime, mental illness is the first thing that gets blamed. Often Autism is blamed as well.
I have Asperger's as well as mental illness. I am hated by nearly every person I come into contact with.

People think that people with Autism and people who are mentally ill are subhuman or lesser than NTs. Some NTs want to cure us because it stems from hatred. Hate groups such as Autism Speaks are only making this issue worse.

My dad's mum believed in eugenics and she wanted people with Autism and mental illness to be eradicated altogether. I think more people feel that way than we realise.

Last edited:
I think most people living with a mental illness would probably prefer not having the mental illness.
I'm not so sure the same could be said of people with autism, although I'm certain some would.

Would I want to be cured once and for all of my anxiety & PTSD? You bet.
Would I want to not be on the spectrum? Maybe for a split second... on a day I'm confronted to some NT bigot's nasty behavior, because I don't like suffering, but then I come to my senses. (Now, if my sensory issues could go away, that'd be great, but it would probably remove unsuspected good things too)

There's still a long way to go in making people understand that autism is not an illness, it's just a variation. If you ask me, it's really like being a man or a woman (overly simplifying here on purpose), as in yes, women do receive certain negative treatments just because they are women, and they are targeted, etc., but the solution isn't to get rid of women and have a world that's made of 100% men. That wouldn't be viable.

My family still thinks me being transgender is a mental issue that can be cured. She still tries to nag me into going to the doctor and curing it. For her autism (no, mother, I'm not autistic ;)) is a reason why I'm transgender. It's easier for her to accept autism. (But I need to get parents to court to change my name and sex in ID and "autism is a reason for my child being transgender" is a very dangerous thing for me). F-64 is seen as a mental illness. Given the number of articles online, also in USA.

People almost instinctively want to cure anything that might be detrimental to ones quality of life. Being both aspie and having two children suspected of being so, if I could make the world more accepting for them I would. Would I change who they were? Not a chance.

New Threads

Top Bottom