• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do people post selfies?

inkfingers

21 year old artist
So, why do people post selfies on social media? I can understand if they are doing it to update friends on what's going on, for example, if they post a photo of them surfing or horse back riding, or what-not. But why do they post pictures of themselves for no apparent reason? To let everyone know that they are still alive?

I don’t understand this selfie thing either. Maybe if you got a new haircut or have a hat on or something but otherwise I would have no interest in taking a selfie.

I take selfies maybe once every several months to once a year. And I almost never show them to anyone besides close people, unless there is a dedicated thread to selfies. Then I may get the urge to post one up.

Having said that, I don't think selfies are a bad thing and I don't judge those who take selfies. Excessive taking and posting of selfies is another matter, though. Those who do it excessively are likely self-absorbed and vain, or looking for ego boosts.

I've been guilty of posting quite a few or e-mailing them if I'm someplace like a theme park or tourist attraction that people I know or cousins on the opposite side of the country would probably like to see these places with me, but can't. It gives a sense of allowing them to almost feel like they are there seeing these things when in real life I wouldn't enjoy them actually being there with me.
But, they say they enjoy the photos.

Duck face?
@Fino has a cute duck face! :D

I never take selfies. What's the point? Who would want to see a picture of me, and why? In fact, I don't post anything on social media apart from album recommendations. Social media are for a different kind of person than I am.

I usually do it to make myself feel better and i'm in no way vain or anything, In fact usually the opposite i hate the way i look but having someone 'like' a selfie boosts my mood up a bit, I never get "Wow i must look good" attitude, It's more of a "Thank you for noticing me"

I don't take selfies, mainly since I have a poor body image. Personally, I think most people who take selfies are not vain, narcissistic or self-absorbed. I think the majority of them are just looking for some of validation, and since selfies is the current fad for doing so, they just follow what's most popular.

To think, the only time I take a selfie is when I want to see how bad shadows under my eyes got, haha :D

Frankly I'm more concerned with why some people are willing to risk their life for them. :confused:

It happens. :eek:

I've read somewere that the most popular selfies are the ones that are taken with a beach/ocean in the background.

I do it from time to time but I also wonder if when I do so if people think I'm conceited when I do so.

I posted a couple in the appropriate thread so members could see what I look like. But other than that, I don't see the need. Then again I haven't changed my image since I was about 13, I'm good with it.

If I made something or went somewhere exceptionally memorable, I take a photo of that, I don't need to have myself in it.

New Threads

Top Bottom