• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I bother?

Reading, Cooking, Baking, Video and Tabletop/Card Games, Computery stuff... not a whole lot really

Cool. I have been known to get over involved at times playing solitaire on my phone. Kinda gotten over that more recently though.

Would it be okay for me to ask questions about your PDD-NOS diagnosis. Its just that my son was given this diagnosis a few years ago but only because he had more than 1 particular delay. Those delays being a delay in speech and in fine and gross motor control.

Why do I bother trying to make friends with people online? They at times seem to like me, but then I feel like a drag to them after a while

It does bring me joy for a while that they like me and talk to me some, but then I just get depressed/sad, whatever you wanna call it

I think I'm destined to be a bitter person when I'm older, hating the world and dying alone...

I understand where you are coming from because I've felt this way for most of my life. In fact, I still feel that way at times and trying to fight it is not always easy. Those of us on the spectrum miss out on allot on life, but it doesn't have to be this way. I have a presentation that helps people making connections by understanding body language and social cues. You may find it helpful https://aspergerslive.com/how-to-pick-up-on-social-cues-with-body-language-illustration/
I hope this helps:)
Rachelle

Cool. I have been known to get over involved at times playing solitaire on my phone. Kinda gotten over that more recently though.

Would it be okay for me to ask questions about your PDD-NOS diagnosis. Its just that my son was given this diagnosis a few years ago but only because he had more than 1 particular delay. Those delays being a delay in speech and in fine and gross motor control.

Yeah, it's fine

My delay is generally academically oriented I guess? I always had a hard time with Math, I also took a while to really talk to other people

I was never officially diagnosed but I thought maybe I have Aspergers and then I asked my mom about it like, a year ago maybe, and she said I could but because some traits overlap it was hard to say, then I found that in the drop-down menu and it made sense to me (I even googled it because I was like what's PDD-NOS? as I've never heard of it before)

Please tell me that adults do have some friendships with people they speak to daily (besides family/partner). I already feel too distanced to some friends, and we're not even adults yet

I have had friends I spoke to most days or virtually every day, other friends I hung out with at least once a week. It helps if you live or work/study close to each other, and have similar schedules/lifestyles so that you can do stuff together easily as part of your ordinary day to day life rather than your social contact being purely about having social contact.

I actually prefer having friends on social media. I'm part of a discussion group on Twitter which I enjoy a lot. I also enjoy it here and chatting with everyone here daily.

First of all, I would like to point out one problem right away. This line:

"They at times seem to like me, but then I feel like a drag to them after a while"

Right. That. That's an issue. Unless someone specifically TELLS you they feel that way... it is not wise to assume. In that case, it's YOU feeling that way, being down on yourself. You have no way of knowing what THEY are thinking unless they say so, but you are assuming so nonetheless.

And remember the nature of the type of condition that most of us on this forum have. One of the biggest "symptoms" is not being able to read/interpret social cues, whether offline or online, doesnt matter where. For example: say you're talking to someone online directly, right? And suddenly, they go silent. They stay silent for awhile. Chances are, at this point, you're thinking something like "oh they're tired of me now". In reality, it could be a bazillion possible things. Hell, in my online chats with people, I often go silent. One major reason is simple: I have a dog. He needs constant attention and I must check on him frequently. So I may step away from the computer at random to give him attention. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the person I'm talking to... it's just that yeah, I'm at the computer, but I still have other things going on as well. I dont JUST talk. But that doesnt mean I've gotten tired of the other person, or lost interest in the conversation. And not even just that... sometimes there are screwball technical issues. But you cant know what kind of insanity Windows is producing on their end unless they tell you what is going wrong. So what you get is.... silence, or perhaps someone suddenly appearing to go offline. It doesnt mean anything whatsoever in relation to you, but could mean about a million things that have nothing to do with you at all.

The reason why I'm saying all this is because I've been doing this for... too long. I dont really want to know how long, really. MOST people I meet, I meet them online somehow. Some have become long-lasting friends, people I met years ago and still know today. Some I have later even met in person a couple of times. But suffice it to say, I know that online friendships CAN work. You just have to understand the nuances of this type of thing, and remember that when a person is sitting at a computer talking to you, the computer is not the only thing currently existing near them.

And, on top of that... dont forget that some days, the other person just might not be in a very social mood. I know I get like that sometimes. If I'm having one of my bad days I keep to myself and wont even make my presence known. I doubt I'm the only one that does that sort of thing.

If you want to meet new friends though, you're in the right place. Heck, chat with me, if you'd like. It sounds like we have some of the same interests. Gaming being my main one, reading being another. I'm always up for a chat, though as I said I do have.... "interruptions" at times.

Yeah, it's fine

My delay is generally academically oriented I guess? I always had a hard time with Math, I also took a while to really talk to other people

I was never officially diagnosed but I thought maybe I have Aspergers and then I asked my mom about it like, a year ago maybe, and she said I could but because some traits overlap it was hard to say, then I found that in the drop-down menu and it made sense to me (I even googled it because I was like what's PDD-NOS? as I've never heard of it before)

Cool thanks. Thats awesome you have a self-diagnosis of something bit different. Sometimes I think when people choose to sell diagnose the preference always seems to be towards Aspergers. I feel like a lot of people hold the silly view that Aspergers is in some way more special than the rest. Honestly I don't get it and I can't see any logical differences.
In Australia every thing now falls under the one category of ASD, with category's 1, 2 or 3 depending on the severity.
Honestly I think this made it so much easier for me ASD - and category to be defined if and when I can get an offical diagnosis.

Yeah; I guess
Another thing that irks the ever loving hell out of me, are people who work so much they have no time for much social interactions outside of work;

I have had workaholic times in my life. It makes things very easy because it’s a grand excuse not to socialize! It also is a way to avoid loneliness. I had jobs where I worked 90 hours a week, with no days off for 3 months! Sometimes it’s a great way to hide from the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom