• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why autism is different from narcissism

I wouldn't use the word "offend" maybe irks me on the incessant bashing part with memes and expletive language thats all. Education is a great thing.

My point is these are probably people who have suffered, but you feel the need to correct or criticism them.

You started out by criticizing those married to narcissists, then turned that into those who suspect they were. They're not the same. Neither is necessarily wrong, either. If someone's been abused, why would they not complain about it? Also, most narcissists are not going to go to therapy. Why get therapy when you're perfect? So spouses will have to suspect a diagnosis.

Even if they're wrong, I don't see the need to pick a battle. How does this affect you? It doesn't.

You guys keep criticizing others while showing you don't understand them. Or gloating about confused people on social media, which doesn't say much. If you're better, then leave Quora. Or leave here. Or does that deprive you of something?

In another post, Jordy, you criticized people for lack of emotional control. Yet, you're here complaining. You're still perseverating on some internet stranger.

Obsession over narcissistic abuse only shows what someone has been through. You may as well complain that rape victims are obsessed with being assaulted, as if that's surprising. You reveal more of yourself in these criticisms.

You're still perseverating on some internet stranger.
And who is that? I think i am free to critique a general type of person whom i find is misguided. You yourself does seem to be very hostile to vindiesel and dislike him having opinions on this matter different from your own. I struggle to understand what makes you feel threatened by him, his opinions are very mild and reasonable. I am sure that if you calm down and talk to him hes nice a guy. So far he has been very friendly and helpful on this forum.

I will also remind you that if you have personal problems with forum members you should report them instead losing control of yourself like this.

Last edited:
My point is these are probably people who have suffered, but you feel the need to correct or criticism them.

You started out by criticizing those married to narcissists, then turned that into those who suspect they were. They're not the same. Neither is necessarily wrong, either. If someone's been abused, why would they not complain about it? Also, most narcissists are not going to go to therapy. Why get therapy when you're perfect? So spouses will have to suspect a diagnosis.

Even if they're wrong, I don't see the need to pick a battle. How does this affect you? It doesn't.

You guys keep criticizing others while showing you don't understand them. Or gloating about confused people on social media, which doesn't say much. If you're better, then leave Quora. Or leave here. Or does that deprive you of something?

In another post, Jordy, you criticized people for lack of emotional control. Yet, you're here complaining. You're still perseverating on some internet stranger.

Obsession over narcissistic abuse only shows what someone has been through. You may as well complain that rape victims are obsessed with being assaulted, as if that's surprising. You reveal more of yourself in these criticisms.
After you asked that initial question this is where I figured you would go and I have heard this before and is totally valid point and I am not on quora anymore because all I would do is dismantle peoples logic or question where they got their information from and essentially invalidate people and they would excuse me of trolling even though I literally was trying to come from a place of understanding and how they systematically applied their reasoning. I may have been brash on how I went about it linguistically but miscommunication through text easily happens.

Your assertions I find confusing like you stated some real business here yet the underlying core hasn't came afloat yet. I don't see where my opinions have made you think this way nor understand what I did to jordy.

So if you could provide additionally clarity of asking someone to leave a forum based off of a few comments then I'm all ears pal.

And who is that?

That's the point, Jordy.

I think i am free to critique a general type of person whom i find is misguided. You yourself does seem to be very hostile to vindiesel and dislike him having opinions on this matter different from your own. I struggle to understand what makes you feel threatened by him, his opinions are very mild and reasonable. I am sure that if you calm down and talk to him hes nice a guy. So far he has been very friendly and helpful on this forum.

I will also remind you that if you have personal problems with forum members you should report them instead losing control of yourself like this.

Well, the thread started with a video of the differences between NPD and ASD. Then it quickly segued, by Vin, into criticizing victims of narcissists. You joined him. It's not hard to see what that looks like. You don't need me to spell it out for you.

I don't have a problem with emotions, so the rest of your post is irrelevant. I doubt anyone here dwelled on you during your absence.

After you asked that initial question this is where I figured you would go and I have heard this before and is totally valid point and I am not on quora anymore because all I would do is dismantle peoples logic or question where they got their information from and essentially invalidate people and they would excuse me of trolling even though I literally was trying to come from a place of understanding and how they systematically applied their reasoning. I may have been brash on how I went about it linguistically but miscommunication through text easily happens.

Your assertions I find confusing like you stated some real business here yet the underlying core hasn't came afloat yet. I don't see where my opinions have made you think this way nor understand what I did to jordy.

So if you could provide additionally clarity of asking someone to leave a forum based off of a few comments then I'm all ears pal.

I think you understand my point, because you've heard it before. And because you keep changing your point-of-view mid-sentence. You can't come from a place of understanding and then invalidate people. This is contradictory. You also started by pretending to accept you picked the wrong battles, then belittled those you argued with. Those are two different arguments.

I don't think you did anything to Jordy. I never stated that.

Based on the initial post and the arguments made after, this thread appears disingenuous.

The knee-jerk reaction to go against his person instead of the sticking to topic does show you felt threatened or needed to release pent up frustration.

No, I made a judgement based on his criticizing victims without basis. That is not a knee-jerk reaction. You have an IQ of 160 and know the difference.

I didn’t know I was battling or arguing people I do not see the value in doing so. I guess I could do the whole reverse psychology bit and say “why does my opinion affect you?” We can go back and forth and it can become toxic for no reason. I can contradict myself and change my opinion as I see fit.

All I gathered here is either narcissism has affected your life or someone close and your sensitive to that and I respect that. Your words have been heard judge me as you wish. No hard feelings here.

Last edited:
No, I made a judgement based on his criticizing victims without basis.
A critique at victims who think they have the qualification and experience to lecture the world about narcissism due to their singular experience with one. Do i need to tell you that trauma and abuse victims are quick to see danger where there isn't? Have exaggerated emotional responses and are often very confused by the nature of someone intentions? Now you tell me that that group of people is capable of having an objective, balanced and realistic understanding of narcissism, and are capable of reliably being able to tell when someone is suffering from this condition. It's the people who cope by calling everyone around them a narcissist.

You have an IQ of 160 and know the difference.
Feels lame to admit but that was an obvious bit of satire. Ironically missed by people who were praising social intelligence.

Last edited:
A critique at victims who think they have the qualification and experience to lecture the world about narcissism due to their singular experience with one. Do i need to tell you that trauma and abuse victims are quick to see danger where there isn't? Have exaggerated emotional responses and are often very confused by the nature of someone intentions? Now you tell me that that group of people is capable of having an objective, balanced and realistic understanding of narcissism, and are capable of reliably being able to tell when someone is suffering from this condition.
Exactly what I was getting at thank you.

At the end of the day, is it important that an individual is high in selfishness, or autism?
YOU LIKE A PERSON, OR YOU DON'T? It's a more humane than the other binary of 'good' and 'evil'. In our own situations, the label slapped on that other person's forehead isn't all that important?

Exactly what I was getting at thank you.
It should be obvious to anyone who has even been quora and seen "the everyone is a narcissist folk". But It's attractive to misinterpret something when it allows you to take the moral high ground.

Last edited:
@Jeff T

IMO people on the spectrum are generally selfish. It's a natural side effect of not fully understanding other people's feelings.

But it's a selfishness of indifference and lack of insight rather than of exploitation.
Unlike the dark triad, we don't try to use other people to our benefit and their disadvantage.

Human "tribal norms" are to act as though favors will be returned one way or another, and hence favors should be done or returned.
Psychos just take - they don't engage in the natural "quid pro quo".

@Jeff T

IMO people on the spectrum are generally selfish. It's a natural side effect of not fully understanding other people's feelings.

But it's a selfishness of indifference and lack of insight rather than of exploitation.
Unlike the dark triad, we don't try to use other people to our benefit and their disadvantage.

Human "tribal norms" are to act as though favors will be returned one way or another, and hence favors should be done or returned.
Psychos just take - they don't engage in the natural "quid pro quo".

Agreed!
Although may I add that neurodiverse folk may act selfish because they trying to "work on themselves" - a sort of self absorption- because they realize there is a divide with neurotypicals and wish to discover the causes and surmount it?

---------------

"Personality traits represent patterns of thinking, perceiving, reacting, and relating that are relatively stable over time.
Personality disorders exist when these traits become so pronounced, rigid, and maladaptive that they impair work and/or interpersonal functioning. These social maladaptations can cause significant distress in people with personality disorders and in those around them."

I just added the above quote to engage with Jordy and Vindiesel's comments about what seems like an overuse of the narcissism label.
A great deal of 'normal' human folk do terrible things at times- outright violence, doing others harm to help themselves, etc. (does the Dark Triad exist in all of us, but tamped down?)
Personality Disorders on the other hand, the symptoms are apparently continuously manifesting themselves?:

Inside some of the Quora rabbitholes about narcissism are comments about something that their significant other did once. "He fixed dinner without washing his hands!!" for example. Well, maybe he has ADHD and simply forgot? Or maybe he's a regular Joe who simply forgot? Context is missing.
So people get labelled, perhaps incorrectly. And exes are always reliable for information (NOT!).
The saving grace in these Quora debates is that I haven't seen people actually named as perpetrators.

Last edited:

Why autism is different from narcissism?​

I'll ask you another question:
Why are ppl who have high esteem and self-confidence viewed as arrogant/narcissistic? :koala:

If anyone for some reason wanted to know the similarity/differences

Excellent video.

She talks about empathy deficits in both those who are autistic and narcissistic.
Autistic ppl engage in "straightforwardness".
Those on the spectrum tend not to embrace "Novelty seeking", whereas narcissists do.
Narcissists are into reward-seeking.
Autistic ppl are open to new intellectual experiences but not that much to emotional experiences.

Apparently, I seem to be a very typical/traditional autistic person.
But I already knew that. ;)

Why autism is different from narcissism?​

I'll ask you another question:
Why are ppl who have high esteem and self-confidence viewed as arrogant/narcissistic? :koala:
That's a very complex question to unfold but falls in a pit of subjectivity/nuance in the end.

Excellent video.

She talks about empathy deficits in both those who are autistic and narcissistic.
Autistic ppl engage in "straightforwardness".
Those on the spectrum tend not to embrace "Novelty seeking", whereas narcissists do.
Narcissists are into reward-seeking.
Autistic ppl are open to new intellectual experiences but not that much to emotional experiences.

Apparently, I seem to be a very typical/traditional autistic person.
But I already knew that. ;)
Everyone's brain is geared to reward seeking based off of dopamine/serotonin and other responses...

Narcissism is geared towards "status" and or objects that bring them attention which is used as a metaphorical shield to protect their fragile pyscho-dynamic state that deviates from cloud 9 gradiosity to self hatred, depression and suicidal idealization like a pendulum.

Intellectual experiences can provide an emotional experience as well. I have rode dirtbikes/sportbikes and raced cars most of my life. I enjoy taking them apart and learning the mechanical understanding of them which is the intellectual part. The emotional part being as I feel I have anhedonia/alexithymia is pushing my adrenaline limits to feel something and improve my threshold skills on remaining calm.

Last edited:
Everyone's brain is geared to reward seeking based off of dopamine/serotonin and other responses...
I don't seem to be.
I don't chase every modicum of "bliss" when I see it.
I am amused that simple chemical reactions in the brain are so important to some ppl.

I've never felt the need to try illicit drugs, for example.
I prefer emotional stability to the rollercoaster trip involving chemical substances, be they man-made or natural.

Yes, I know I am rather odd. :cool:

I don't seem to be.
I don't chase every modicum of "bliss" when I see it.
I am amused that simple chemical reactions in the brain are so important to some ppl.

I've never felt the need to try illicit drugs, for example.
I prefer emotional stability to the rollercoaster trip involving chemical substances, be they man-made or natural.

Yes, I know I am rather odd. :cool:
Hunger, thirst, lust, bodily functions all require chemical responses to elicit compensation of satiation.

Yes I understand what your getting at though.

I just thought of dos equis commercial... " stay thirsty my friends" in your case "stay odd my friend"

New Threads

Top Bottom