• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who wants to be a member of my real family?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
My blood family is toxic, the roots are diseased, I have created a distance between myself and them and am better off because of it.

Who wants to be a real brother or sister to me, non-blood but that doesn't matter?

I have my future to look towards now, and my present to take care of myself.

I offer free cigars to anybody who is interested.

I'm not yet ready to be social, yet. But I love the idea. I ditched my family a while back and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

Metalhead, I would be honored if you considered me a family member.
People in the LGBTQ community need our chosen families more than ever right now.

Plus we have the exact same taste in foods lol so I would never have to worry about picking a restaurant you don’t like :)

I'll be a part of your family, so long as I don't have to pick you up from the airport ;) :D
No, seriously. Consider me like a brother.

I am throwing my hat in the ring to be a sista from another mother (and father). Or l could apply for auntie? Or a distance cousin? Or maybe l could be a friendly garden gnome? Lol

I am throwing my hat in the ring to be a sista from another mother (and father). Or l could apply for auntie? Or a distance cousin? Or maybe l could be a friendly garden gnome? Lol
Well, hm. If he's my brother, and now he's your brother, or nephew, or cousin, or ... um... gnome-keeper, I suppose we are related too.
Coolies.

Well, we both like progressive rock, so we could be related. If not a sister, then a cousin perhaps :)

My blood family is toxic, the roots are diseased, I have created a distance between myself and them and am better off because of it.

Who wants to be a real brother or sister to me, non-blood but that doesn't matter?

I have my future to look towards now, and my present to take care of myself.

I offer free cigars to anybody who is interested.
Ha! Actually that sounds like something I'd love to do. You know, Kurt Vonnegut called such people "synthetic relatives." Embrace the idea. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did, although I do have one "synthetic relative" who is promising.

Seriously though, I think it's a great goal to figure out how to develop a family-like bond to related people. For example, after my grandmother passed I always wondered who might replace her. I always got along better with older people. Now, though, I'm old almost like her so I don't have a lot of "older" people to relate to. My main point is I've found it hard to develop ongoing friendships with autistic people, even though they make the best conversation partners when it gets started.

I think the best "synthetic relative" would be someone who is different enough or incompatible in some trivial way so they wouldn't be like a close friend, but who has a common bond or interest.

I love a cigar and I could use more people in my life.

Add me to the Christmas card list, and borrow my weed whacker anytime you need.

New Threads

Top Bottom