• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who turns off their computer?

I never turn off any of my electronics because I don't feel like it most of the time. I am a little lazy myself, but I enjoy quick access to my electronics 24/7.

I tend to turn mine off when I'm through with them because I have a power bill to pay.

Ditto. With a 500 watt power supply leaving this thing on all the time isn't a good option. Even though I seldom ever push it to what might be construed as peak-usage.

Ditto. With a 500 watt power supply leaving this thing on all the time isn't a good option. Even though I seldom ever push it to what might be construed as peak-usage.

As an electronics guy,I have thermal and amperage shock issues for not restarting mine. I used to keep a bunch of computer numerical control (CNC) machinery alive and would often shut down the spindles and let the operating systems run all day and even over the entire parts run that could last several months.

Repeated starts take a toll on electrolytic capacitors that will eventually fail because they have a finite number of cycles they can do their jobs to begin with. According to HAAS techs,when I had power supply failures due to bad e caps I was instructed to heat them to bring a power supply back online to start the machine's OS and was advised to limit the number of starts to prevent it from happening again.
An $80,000+ machine is useless unless it is running and making bank to pay the bills. A PC that gets killed isn't a cheap event either,so I will gamble a bit and pay the electric bill instead :D

My HP laptop ran for about seven years under extreme duress and was only shut off for reboots most of the time since new. It's replacement is a Windows 7 lappy that is strangled for lack of RAM.I quit using it and I'm making the shift back to desktops with two already running and several more in the wings.
My TV/monitor on this box has only been off during power failures for over four years.
I had a CRT TV that ran for over ten years around the clock until I gave it away. I hear it still works :D

I'm afraid I'd rather labor a power supply than every other critical component leaving the machine on all the time. Not to mention the security considerations. In a quarter century of building my own computers, I've only had one power supply go bad on me- after considerable off/on usage on a daily basis.

In the end, it's all about whatever works for you. That's all that really counts.

I'm afraid I'd rather labor a power supply than every other critical component leaving the machine on all the time. Not to mention the security considerations. In a quarter century of building my own computers, I've only had one power supply go bad on me- after considerable off/on usage on a daily basis.

In the end, it's all about whatever works for you. That's all that really counts.
I don't have security issues because I have nothing available online to steal from.The hard drive I did use to put my finances online got destroyed on purpose to eliminate any chance of it. There is a very anal amount of protection I use besides that. I am also one very paranoid critter to begin with :D

The electrolytic caps I talked about are used universally in all electronics involved in the computer,not just the power supply.There are some thermal shock fracture failures that can occur in the soldered joints from warmup stresses,especially the newer ROHS compliant solders used in batch melt surface mounted components that are a staple in design and building of motherboards and other modern electronics. One tiny invisible crack and down goes the device. Surface mounted components joint failures can be detected,but almost impossible to repair due to their very small design and original method of assembly.

I see it your way,but each of us have their own reasons for what we do,so the point is actually moot like you said. :)

The electrolytic caps I talked about are used universally in all electronics involved in the computer,not just the power supply.There are some thermal shock fracture failures that can occur in the soldered joints from warmup stresses,especially the newer ROHS compliant solders used in batch melt surface mounted components that are a staple in design and building of motherboards and other modern electronics. One tiny invisible crack and down goes the device. Surface mounted components joint failures can be detected,but almost impossible to repair due to their very small design and original method of assembly.

Yep. Thermodynamic stress is a very real exposure to most components inside a computer and on printed circuit boards. It's a critical factor in why I build machines with better quality components. Especially motherboards. I'm also a big proponent of proper airflow and ventilation. Might explain why my desktop systems don't fail in such a manner. Other than perhaps a single power supply that got daily off/on use for 12 years.

It's also a primary reason why I've chosen to abstain from laptop computers. The heat factor and poor ventilation inherently decreases the longevity of components. However with my own track record, the only reason I discard any system I've built is technological obsolescence and little else. (Something manufacturers count on these days.) I used to keep them all, until one day I realized that when I'd set them up usually once a year, the fun lasted a few minutes tops. Then I'd disconnect it all and put it back into the closet.

Old computers get really old, really fast. :p

Last edited:
Always. I have a gaming rig so it turns on and off extremely fast, I have no problem with it, I like to be energy efficient when I can. Other than that I put it on sleep in between sessions.

As long as you re-paste the heat sink in your CPU every couple of years (I'm going to be doing so soon on my MBP), a laptop should do just fine.

At least, I think I'm using the correct terminology. I skipped A+ and went right into networking so usually, when it comes to hardware, I haven't the faintest clue what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

As long as you re-paste the heat sink in your CPU every couple of years (I'm going to be doing so soon on my MBP), a laptop should do just fine.

At least, I think I'm using the correct terminology. I skipped A+ and went right into networking so usually, when it comes to hardware, I haven't the faintest clue what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

Good piece of advice. That thermal paste between the CPU and a heat sink deteriorates with time. It's a key component that makes the heat sink work optimally. Just be very careful when you separate the heat sink from the CPU to reapply the thermal paste. And try to apply it evenly...without any residue beyond the edges of the CPU.

Last edited:
I turn mine off after use. I think leaving something on such as a laptop would decrease battery life, even on standby. It might even get over heated. I would suggest taking time out for yourself like before bed to read a book.

I'm running gaming grade hardware in my desktop sooo...when it's not in use, it stays off! Not out of fear of hardware failure or anything, just the fact that it's a gaming PC + connected to the internet at all times makes me a bit paranoid.

New Threads

Top Bottom