• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes to bake? Cupcakes? Fudge?

I also dont "do" sweet but I like to bake. I make sourdough bread (but am still very much a novice) - sourdough starter is now 2 years old *yay* - and pies, curry puffs, samosas..... everything savory that can be put in a dough I will have a go at :D - also potstickers, but that is getting off topic, me thinks (its not baking when the dough is fried / steamed, is it? Baking = oven, right?)

I used to keep sour dough starter in order to make rye bread but it started to feel like I had a pet that lived in refrigerator which had to be fed and pooped every week. Now I make rye bread with some dark beer instead of using water which gives it a nice "malty" taste.

I love potstickers. We could devote an entire thread of them. Yum!

@Mary Terry - :tearsofjoy: I know what
you mean about the fridge pet.... I tell myself I have so many pets it doesnt make a difference :grin: Nice Idea with the malt beer btw!

yeah, potstickers ......hmmmmmm:yum:

I found a tip about butter. It is really helpful because my kitcnen is pretty cold, & butter will never “come to room temperature,” (& melting it changes its chemistry so that doesn’t work).

The tip is to grate the butter.

Doing some baking today for holiday gifts.

Last edited:
I used to keep sour dough starter in order to make rye bread but it started to feel like I had a pet that lived in refrigerator which had to be fed and pooped every week. Now I make rye bread with some dark beer instead of using water which gives it a nice "malty" taste.

I love potstickers. We could devote an entire thread of them. Yum!

lol, it's so true.. I have 2 such pets in the fridge. :D

I found a tip about butter. It is really helpful because my kitcnen is pretty cold, & butter will never “come to room temperature,” (& melting it changes its chemistry so that doesn’t work).

Doing some baking today for hiliday gifts.

For some kind of pastry like thing?

I bake a limited number of things, but they're my own creations and they're a bit extreme.

• Zucchini muffins. I grow the zucchini, dehydrate it and then powder it. When I make these muffins I rehydrate the powder using some boiling water. The muffins are spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and I use whole wheat flour. The zucchini powder makes the muffins moist and delicious.
  • Carrot applesauce muffins. I use dehydrated apple "leather" that I make myself. Usually a day before I make these muffins I take 32 grams of the dried apple "leather" in 1 cup of boiling water in a jar. In a day it rehydrates to 1 cup of applesauce. Delicious muffins.
  • Something I call "Breakfast Cake". It's basically a spiced muffin recipe that I make in a cake/lasagna pan but I add things like pureed spinach, shredded carrots, beet powder, etc. It's something I created to feed to the kids and hide veggies in their diet. I sometimes put some chocolate chips in the mix and they have no idea they're eating a whole grain food with veggies in it.
I also make things like cornbread and regular bread.

I love baking. It’s very relaxing to me. I mostly bake bread (yay, kneading) but every now and then I bake some sweet treats too. Recently I’ve been baking carrot cake a lot, because my boyfriend keeps requesting it :D. Very complimentary, not great for the waistline though.

@Magna I like the sound of your creations very much. I also make up recipes, though some of my favorites are now written down for repeating. It’d be nice to be able to grow the food, but at least I buy most of my food from local
farmers.

@Varzar Yes, for pie crust, for a tricky cookie from a recipe from my great grandmother, & for yeast rolls, because the butter has liquid trapped within its fat, the rolls get lighter than with melted butter.
The holidays are a time when I relax my self-imposed rules on how much wheat I allow. :)

Doing some baking today for hiliday gifts.

I just started doing this myself. Works great, no pun intended. But my hot little mitts melt the butter.

I've been making cinnamon rolls lately. Very tasty!

Since I don't have a useable oven on my boat I do all my "baking" on the stove top. Pies and pizza are pretty straight forward. But for cakes and bread I use a wonder pot. Very cleaver pot! I am not sure why it works but its like a tube pan with a lid and it sits on slightly concave flame diffuser.

I can even make casseroles in it but I mostly use it for cakes and bread. One thing I do with it is to take my cinnamon roll log and instead of cutting it into individual rolls, I put the whole thing in the wonder pot. I wrap the log around the cetral funnel shape. I just slice it like coffee cake. It works great!

i never really tried to bake but after reading the posts it sounds like fun to try baking some day

New Threads

Top Bottom