• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes to bake? Cupcakes? Fudge?

ForestGumpett

Any bakers? I love pastries, am terrible at most anything except deserts. Anyone like to bake?

Am thinking of making a Lemon Bundt cake today, read somewhere to add a package of lemon pudding and an extra egg to the ingredients and WOW it makes it so much yummier!

Love to decorate them. Also like to make cupcakes and brownies.

I make cupcakes ever so often, having to reduce the baking time given I live at a higher altitude. Same for cookie dough.

I more or less gave up trying to bake an entire cake in a rectangular pan, given how uneven the cake rises in the center versus the sides. Even tried to put wet towels wrapped around the sides of the pan to equalize the heat so the cake would rise more evenly. I know of Wilton who makes various devices to counter this problem, though I've never used them.

I've never tried to make a more conventional cake with two round pieces. Funny that Wilton makes what amounts to a coping saw (leveler) to run along the top of the bottom cake piece to flatten it. :p Yet I don't recall my mother ever doing this. Yet her cakes always came out nice and flat on the top, whether they were rectangular or round. But then on a scale of one to ten I'd have her at least a nine when it came to desserts.

Cake Leveler, 10-Inch | Wilton

Fudge? Don't even go there. I tried so many different tips to get fudge just right. They all more or less failed. Another thing my mother made consistently with ease that I've yet to ever recreate successfully.

Though I've made brownies a few times. Helped in adding flour to the mix.

I used to be very good at baking bread. I'm way out of practice though and haven't seriously practiced the art of baking for a good 12-13 years. I think I fell in love with it for a time because my mother was absolutely terrible at expressing love. She was unable to verbalize it or express it through something simple like a hug. She tried to channel the love she felt into baking. Consequently, a lot of the love that came from her when I was very much younger was from cookies, fresh bread, scones and other baked goods. After she died, I started baking. At some point I stopped doing it. I don't recall why.

mm baking, great distraction from life, but with varied results. Even my 'flop' cakes were nice when fresh, anything freshly baked is usually edible, when cold, uh not so good.

I'm about due for a double batch of oatmeal cookies, with raisins, chips, and dried cranberries. Do they have cranberries in europe?

I can barely even use a microwave without something exploding. So I dont bake, it'd be a hideous disaster. Heck, I'm barely even qualified to use a butter knife.

But I do like EATING cupcakes, so there's that at least.

Lot of good info and tips.

@Judge ;

Have made many 3 layered cakes when I was too young to know it was suppose to be difficult, saw my mother do it all the time, and of course even the icing was home made. At one point was putting dolls (barbie’s, we didn’t have cake dolls like now) into Bundt cakes and make ladies with gowns. Even used white icing for the long gloves. Haven’t done it in years though.

@John M ;
I’ll probably be asking you questions later this year, have spent a small fortune on polish pottery bread baking dishes. Think I’m really aspie on the polish pottery - most husbands would be angry at the amount of $ I’ve spent on polish pottery but he just laughs - he says it’s the best stuff in the world to bake with and I agree. Even my cookie sheet is polish pottery and it does make a difference. Sooooo easy to clean too! Never made bread, it’s on the to do list soon. :)

@KagamineLen ;
I love red velvet cake! Did you see the one in the movie “Steel Magnolias “? It was made into an animal, something like an opossum, was funny and weird at the same time.

@unperson ;
Amen on the distraction! Think this is another reason I’m enjoying it. Lost weight so not worried bout that (I fast). Some of my flop cakes tasted the best, can make everything better with more icing lol.

@Skittlebisquit ; that sounds delicious! I’m not in EU but would think so regarding the cranberries since it’s cold most paces there and I think they like cold places? Oatmeal cookies are the best!

@Misery ;

Cupcakes are the easiest to make IMHO. The paper holders make it easy and you can buy the icing in the containers, that is what I do now and it’s good!

Not sure if you saw it, but if you add to the mix (follow the directions then add this too) ONE extra egg (one more than what it says on the box, some boxes are different) and pudding mix - whatever you think would taste good with the kind of cake, then this makes them so moist! No biggie if you mess up, it’s still gonna taste good if you put icing on it lol.

@Butterfly88 ; Pumkin bread sounds wonderful! Never had it before, so please share the recipe when/if you have time. After we get moved the plan is to make bread (learn to) this fall.

Since my kitchen is finally re-stocked with food, today I’m baking a batch of oatmeal cookies. I’ll chop up and add dried cherries and a little (about a teaspoon) golden syrup to make them chewie. (Chewy? Chewey?):)

I love to bake bread. I don't eat much sugar so I rarely bake a sweet dessert.

Two days ago, I made baguettes by making a poolish (?) with instant yeast which I let rise for nearly 24 hours. It makes the best tasting French bread I have ever made. I also put a cast iron skillet on the bottom shelf of the oven while the oven was heating and then poured a cup of boiling water in it when I put the loaves in to bake to create steam and keep the loaves softer on the inside. That's a good technique which I'll do again.

I also dont "do" sweet but I like to bake. I make sourdough bread (but am still very much a novice) - sourdough starter is now 2 years old *yay* - and pies, curry puffs, samosas..... everything savory that can be put in a dough I will have a go at :D - also potstickers, but that is getting off topic, me thinks (its not baking when the dough is fried / steamed, is it? Baking = oven, right?)

@Barymore
Keeping sourdough starter healthy for 2 years - well done!

I think fying counts as baking since you’re putting food into a dough and it’s getting cooked.
But that’s my opinion only.

Please post any recipes you want becauae those sound really tasty. I’ve been bored with & tired of sweet stuff actually.

Baking chicken enchiladas tonight.
Trying a new task of making my own sauce from dried chilis rather than from a can. Those all have msg.

So we need clarification about what counts as baking please. :)

Baking can include frying - I grew up in the Deep South, so yeah we fry everything and call it whatever you want to call it lol.

I’d love @Barymore to know what “potstickers” is, got my curiosity up!

I love to eat baked goods...does that count??!! I used to love baking but that went away when I discovered I was intolerant to gluten. Yes...gluten free baked goods can be made and they are ok...but they just are not as good as the real deal! I still bake now and again but I tend to eat my baked goods vicariously though others now

@Misery ;

Cupcakes are the easiest to make IMHO. The paper holders make it easy and you can buy the icing in the containers, that is what I do now and it’s good!

Not sure if you saw it, but if you add to the mix (follow the directions then add this too) ONE extra egg (one more than what it says on the box, some boxes are different) and pudding mix - whatever you think would taste good with the kind of cake, then this makes them so moist! No biggie if you mess up, it’s still gonna taste good if you put icing on it lol.

@Butterfly88 ; Pumkin bread sounds wonderful! Never had it before, so please share the recipe when/if you have time. After we get moved the plan is to make bread (learn to) this fall.
Pumpkin bread is good! I actually use a mix from Trader Joe's which is pretty good but I imagine it's even better from scratch.

New Threads

Top Bottom