• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes swimming

I found swimming very hard! I walked up and down the shallow end for months !then sort of hopped !I thought I would never do it !but one day my legs came off the bottom !I was shocked!
I loved it after that ,I'm the same as you with a shower I force myself to get under the stream try to enjoy it !I just prefer a flannel - Strip wash .
never liked wearing a swimming costume wish I'd said can I wear shorts and a T-shirt .

I longed for it to just happen and never did and I look at those who can swim and think: why can I not do it? What is it that is stopping me? FEAR of water getting into my face, is the answer and being so close to the water. But I would love to be able to swim.

Winter is great, because I am only showing twice in the week lol and because I am not a very active person and have never expelled sweat; it means that the shower is really for my hair, as it gets greasy after a couple of days.

I have to really physch myself up for it and a sort of: here we go, as the water hits me.

I longed for it to just happen and never did and I look at those who can swim and think: why can I not do it? What is it that is stopping me? FEAR of water getting into my face, is the answer and being so close to the water. But I would love to be able to swim.

Winter is great, because I am only showing twice in the week lol and because I am not a very active person and have never expelled sweat; it means that the shower is really for my hair, as it gets greasy after a couple of days.

I have to really physch myself up for it and a sort of: here we go, as the water hits me.
all I can say is just keep doggedly getting in the pool and going up and down up and down up and down ,I don't think we learn technique from a swimming teacher, it's almost like by doing it over and over and over again actually being in the water you change your shape to the water you start to float.
you just don't fear it ,I use the word I become loose instead of tight.

Apparently children with autism are often attracted to water. And will walk in without knowing how to swim. I did, when I was quite young and someone picked me up out of the water, as I was walking somewhere underwater thinking I could breathe. This is not an uncommon thing for children with autism to do. At the time I recall liking being in the water because it muted sound and some sensory distractions. It completely calmed me.

You remind me of sometving my mother told me.

When i was little and could not swin yet, i was at the beach with my mother and my aunt.
My aunt told to my mother she was worried about me for no reason and that she had to let me do my own experiences.

2min later i was about to run into the water xD( i dont remember it my mother told me)

And yes you are totally right about the sound
,when i was a kid i used to stay under water as much as possible in my bath or in the poil because i felt i was disconnected from the world, the sound was muted and it was fascinating.

But i dont realy like beach overall, because i hate the salt and i cant stand the sensation of the shirt before i take a shower.

Well i dont hate the beach i just prefer the pool but you need to avoid crowdy times.

Apparently children with autism are often attracted to water. And will walk in without knowing how to swim. I did, when I was quite young and someone picked me up out of the water, as I was walking somewhere underwater thinking I could breathe. This is not an uncommon thing for children with autism to do. At the time I recall liking being in the water because it muted sound and some sensory distractions. It completely calmed me.
As a kid, I loved playing in the water, but I did have difficulty learning the strokes. I find it hard to coordinate ly limbs - I never mastered the breast stroke, for example - I just couldn't do it. I learned the front crawl, though.

This is so cool, getting some good answers why Aspies are attracted to water.

Since I was young I had been attracted to water and now in my late 30's I am still attracted to water. If the conditions are good to swim in, I am always in the water and I swim fully clothed, always in long pants (tracksuit pants, jeans or chinos) and a t-shirt, never shoes and socks. I noticed a quite a hand full of Aspies don't like wearing proper swimwear, I am one of the many who don't like proper swimwear.

I don't like swimming alone in dark waters and it's awesome that I know local pools who let me swim fully clothed. Got hooked swimming in long pants after my survival swimming lessons when I was 7 and started doing it more often in my mid teens then became something I always do in my adult life.

I find swimming sometimes pleasurable. I preffer pools but they have to be super clean. I always see pools as dirty and sometimes I get chills on my spine when thinking about it. I preffer a regular bikini because regular clothes isnt working for me, only adds more discomfter rather dan feeling more comfy. I do add that I used to have a disformed body image, but since a couple years I have swim at least 5 times. that doesnt sound alot but im working on it. But swimming itself I preffer to be like in a large pool where you can swim in tracks. The temprature doesnt bother me the entire time tho, just only the beginning when my body is new to it.

Being a good swimmer runs in the Family for me, my Dad's a really good swimmer, used to win competitions at the local Pool back in the 60's.

I try and go at least once a week anyway, usually on a Wednesday or a Friday when Dad goes so that we can go with him and not have to Bus it there.

I learned at school, used to go to the old local Pool in Hillsborough, Sheffield (it's a Wetherspoon's Pub now), and then I started going from school to a disabled Pool at a "Special needs" school on a Tuesday afternoon, got me out of double maths, lol.

I was a competitive swimmer in my teens, and still swim once or twice a week. I felt that swimming was like meditation in a way, or like being in a sensory deprivation tank. I found that I could devote part of my brain to the mechanics of swimming, and let the other part of my mind wander.

My 8-year-old son with autism LOVES swimming. It's such a pleasure for him... pure joy. I also love to watch him swim - he seems to feel so free and unencumbered. He could live in the pool, I swear. :)

when I lived within driving distance of a pool, most evenings i'd be swimming laps. now the nearest public pool is in the next county. drat. haven't swum since 2005 for that reason.

My 8-year-old son with autism LOVES swimming. It's such a pleasure for him... pure joy. I also love to watch him swim - he seems to feel so free and unencumbered. He could live in the pool, I swear. :)

Sounds like me when I was your sons age. I used to spend hours in the river with nobody else was around. I never really had any friends and there were no kids living within miles of home. All I ever did at home was go swimming, climb trees and play with my electronic gadgets.

I am Not a Strong Swimmer, but I can swim a bit! As long as I can stand up and don't get my face wet, I'm a happy Camper! :rolleyes: I need a Life Jacket in deep water! I can't swim underwater at all, I just float to the top. I love floating on a pool lounger! A "Lazy River" at a Water Park would be perfect for me! I wish they offered "Wimp Discounts", scary slides are not for me! I also have to wear my "Teva's" (Water sandals with ankle straps) at a beach because my feet are very sensitive!

I've always wanted to make this video for my autistic YouTube video and share this around since I like to swim with my clothes on since I don't like conventional swimwear. I have explained why I like go swimming with my clothes on and how much I enjoy swimming with my tracksuit pants on instead of swimming trunks like shorts for example.

Keep in mind mind proper swim wear is a recent invention, modesty is/was important for many cultures. I'd be happy to swim in my birthday suit if it was legal.

nope dont like to swim. when i was in conterpoint school we hade swiming day and i did not like it so sometimes i faked having tummyakes . then i could watch the other kids swim and i can relax and not swim

This is another video of mine where I like to film myself swimming in my favourite item of clothing which happens to be tracksuit pants.

I cant swim very good and i tend to panic if the wahter is too deep and i cant stand. But swimming can sometimes be nice.

I like swimming, but do that too rarely (in my perception). I swim in a lake. I don´t like swimming baths, because there are mostly too much people and too less water and I find that unhygienic. I find the people unhygienic. sure, in a nature lake there are also fishes and plants, but I have less problems with that than with a swimming bath. and there are not that much people swimming. most people just lie in the sun.

I would only swim in a swimming pool or bath if it would be exclusive for me or for very less other people, but I don´t have this possibility. and if I don´t would get diseases from it (I heard that when handled wrong and when not cleaned the water rightly, you can get diseases from it).

and I don´t like water on my head, nose, eyes, ears or mouth, so I don´t like to dive in it.

I love swimming so much. Lakes and rivers are preferred but I will swim in a pool. I don't like how echoey swimming pools are especially if kids are screaming. So I tend to use adult only sessions or use my local outdoor pool. I swim 1 mile every time I swim in a pool it takes me nearly an hour but just swimming up and down counting lengths is so relaxing. I can't afford to go too often but it's nice when I can. lakes and rivers are only really an option May- October where we live.

New Threads

Top Bottom