• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes pre-1965 (or thereabouts) black and white movies?

no they are all titled Charlie Chan ....... they are based on the books by Earl Derr Biggers , The American productions of Sherlock Holmes are not accurate imo , found Charlie Chan movies on YouTube, Can’t remember the Ingmar Bergman film watched it for two minutes then turned it off.

I've heard of Charlie Chan. He's a Chinese detective, right? No, those 1940s Sherlock Holmes films have nothing whatsoever to do with Conan Doyle's stories. I don't know how they were even allowed to call them Sherlock Holmes. The only adaptation I'll ever watch of SH is the Granada series with Jeremy Brett from the 1980s.

I've heard of Charlie Chan. He's a Chinese detective, right? No, those 1940s Sherlock Holmes films have nothing whatsoever to do with Conan Doyle's stories. I don't know how they were even allowed to call them Sherlock Holmes. The only adaptation I'll ever watch of SH is the Granada series with Jeremy Brett from the 1980s.
yes in Honolulu police department , obviously the studios buy the rights and try to engineer them to a different audience, it’s all about marketing, nothing to do with Arthur Conan Doyle. I find it hard to settle on one actor I’ve watched so many ,for some reason it’s Peter Cushing ,I find it hard to think about ITV’s production ,as I know Jeremy Brett was consumed by it !and the medicine he was taking ,was not making him feel well ,why doctors think giving a poison like lithium is going to make somebody better I will never know .

I'm not a huge fan, but occasionally I watch them. I recently saw Gaslight which was where the currently term 'gaslighting' originated. It held up (over time) and I found it quite scary. They really showed how awful and duplicitous people can be with each other.
The movie starred Ingrid Bergman and she was pretty fab.

I was hoping someone would bring up Seven Samurai and The Maltese Falcon! I love old Japanese movies and American film noir. Do you like The Asphalt Jungle? I could watch it every day for the rest of my life and never become bored.

I've not seen Asphalt Jungle, although I like quite a few films that John Huston directed. I'll look for it. Some of the film noir I've enjoyed:

The Woman in the Window (1944)
Mildred Pierce (1954)
The Big Heat (1953)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)

New Threads

Top Bottom