• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who likes pre-1965 (or thereabouts) black and white movies?

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
Who among you likes old black and white films? I’m watching Ingmar Bergman’s The Magician (1958, Swedish) tonight and wondered how many other creatures like me there are lurking in this forum.

Virtually all the Universal monster movies of the 30s and 40s for starters. And so many silly sci fi movies of the 50s. Childhood favorites...have most of them on DVD. :)

And a few by their title:

The Haunting (1963)
The Innocents
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
Sink The Bismarck
The Outsider
King Rat
Captain Blood
Dawn Patrol
The Prince And The Pauper
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Citizen Kane
42nd Street
Footlight Parade
The President's Lady
The Best Years Of Our Lives
Mrs. Miniver
Psycho
Dr. Strangelove
Fail-Safe
To Kill A Mockingbird
Morituri
Some Like It Hot
Pressure Point
Blackboard Jungle
Under Ten Flags
The Longest Day
It's A Wonderful Life
Whatever Happened To Baby Jane
The Bad Seed
All the Blondie films (Penny Singleton)
All the Tarzan films (Johnny Weissmuller)
Advise and Consent
Twelve Angry Men
Public Enemy (James Cagney)
Little Caesar
The Grapes Of Wrath
King Kong (1933)
Things To Come
The Mouse That Roared
Paths Of Glory
The Guns Of August
All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
The Wild One
Seven Days In May
The Snake Pit
The Best Man
David And Lisa
Five Fingers
The Ox-Bow Incident
The Train
Judgment At Nuremberg

Last edited:
Who among you likes old black and white films? I’m watching Ingmar Bergman’s The Magician (1958, Swedish) tonight and wondered how many other creatures like me there are lurking in this forum.
The philadelphia story (1938)
Bringing up baby(1936?)
The 39 steps(1934?36)
some of Casablanca(1942?)
The Ghost train(1938?)
The lady vanishes(1938?)
The cat and the canary-Bob Hope
The enchanted cottage (US)

Virtually all the Universal monster movies of the 30s and 40s for starters. And so many silly sci fi movies of the 50s. Childhood favorites...have most of them on DVD. :)

And a few by their title:

The Haunting (1963)
The Innocents
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
Sink The Bismarck
The Outsider
King Rat
Captain Blood
Dawn Patrol
The Prince And The Pauper
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Citizen Kane
42nd Street
Footlight Parade
The President's Lady
The Best Years Of Our Lives
Mrs. Miniver
Psycho
Dr. Strangelove
Fail-Safe
To Kill A Mockingbird
Morituri
Some Like It Hot
Pressure Point
Blackboard Jungle
Under Ten Flags
The Longest Day
It's A Wonderful Life
Whatever Happened To Baby Jane
The Bad Seed
All the Blondie films (Penny Singleton)
All the Tarzan films (Johnny Weissmuller)
Advise and Consent
Twelve Angry Men
Public Enemy (James Cagney)
Little Caesar
The Grapes Of Wrath
King Kong (1933)
Things To Come
The Mouse That Roared
Paths Of Glory
The Guns Of August
All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
The Wild One
Seven Days In May
The Snake Pit
The Best Man
David And Lisa
Five Fingers
The Ox-Bow Incident
The Train
Judgment At Nuremberg

Wooo, that’s a long list. What do you think of Citizen Kane? For some reason I’ve avoided watching it all these years. I love Orson Welles’s film The Trial, though, which he once said was the best movie he’d ever made.

Dr who 1963 tv show ,it had that movie quality ,which stopped by the mid 1970s after john pertwee left

The Thin Man
Charlie Chan
Sherlock Holmes
The House on Haunted Hill
Dementia 13 (1965 Roger Corman Production)
Any Black & White Horror or Science Fiction movie.

tried to watch an ingmar bergman but it was unnerving, Im very nervous ,cat and the canary isnt often watched now .

The Thin Man
Charlie Chan
Sherlock Holmes
The House on Haunted Hill
Dementia 13 (1965 Roger Corman Production)
Any Black & White Horror or Science Fiction movie.
miss charlie chan ,only saw them on bbc2 ,never see them now ,being in the uk many are copyright to the us only .

What do you think of Citizen Kane? For some reason I’ve avoided watching it all these years.

The one thing to consider about this film above nearly all others IMO lies with one single, but crucial consideration. That of storytelling. An aspect of film making that more often break than make a movie. Particularly in a visual sense, apart from quality dialog and acting. Citizen Kane excels in storytelling.

Though there's one other film that is even better IMO. - "Schindler's List". From the very beginning of this film it's just one visual cue after another telling you what it's all about. Brilliant. Though of course this is a relatively modern film in comparison.

Last edited:
To name a few:

African Queen
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Petrified Forest

The 1954 Godzilla
The Seven Samurai
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dracula (1931)

Most of Charlie Chaplin's movies
I Remember Mama
The Thin Man series

miss charlie chan ,only saw them on bbc2 ,never see them now ,being in the uk many are copyright to the us only .

Do you mean the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone?

Do you recall the title of the Bergman film you tried to watch? I love his films, but they can be unnerving. Almost all of them have to do with Bergman's struggle with religion/God versus nihilism.

Has anyone seen David Lynch's Eraserhead? Jesus, if you want unnerving, watch that movie... I had to view it in 15 minute intervals over the course of a few days because it is so disturbing. Amazing work of art, though. Quite possibly the best film I've ever seen in many ways.

The one thing to consider about this film above nearly all others IMO lies with one single, but crucial consideration. That of storytelling. An aspect of film making that more often break than make a movie. Particularly in a visual sense, apart from quality dialog and acting. Citizen Kane excels in storytelling.

Though there's one other film that is even better IMO. - "Schindler's List". From the very beginning of this film it's just one visual cue after another telling you what it's all about. Brilliant. Though of course this is a relatively modern film in comparison.

Isn't Citizen Kane considered to be the best film ever made among film historians? I'm going to move it to the top of my Netflix DVD. I'm glad we had this conversation. I saw Schindler a long time ago, but I'll get that one, too, and report back.

Do you mean the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone?

Do you recall the title of the Bergman film you tried to watch? I love his films, but they can be unnerving. Almost all of them have to do with Bergman's struggle with religion/God versus nihilism.

Has anyone seen David Lynch's Eraserhead? Jesus, if you want unnerving, watch that movie... I had to view it in 15 minute intervals over the course of a few days because it is so disturbing. Amazing work of art, though. Quite possibly the best film I've ever seen in many ways.
no they are all titled Charlie Chan ....... they are based on the books by Earl Derr Biggers , The American productions of Sherlock Holmes are not accurate imo , found Charlie Chan movies on YouTube, Can’t remember the Ingmar Bergman film watched it for two minutes then turned it off.

To name a few:

African Queen
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Petrified Forest

The 1954 Godzilla
The Seven Samurai
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dracula (1931)

Most of Charlie Chaplin's movies
I Remember Mama
The Thin Man series

I was hoping someone would bring up Seven Samurai and The Maltese Falcon! I love old Japanese movies and American film noir. Do you like The Asphalt Jungle? I could watch it every day for the rest of my life and never become bored.

Some of my favorites:

-The Trial (Orson Welles 1962 based on a Franz Kafka novel about a man placed under "open arrest" by a group of mysterious men...this is an AMAZING film!)
-Seven Samurai
-The Human Condition
(1959 Masaki Kobayashi film set during WWII about a man struggling to remain a humanist and pacifist in the face of mass violence and irrationality)
-Harakiri (1962, also Kobayashi, about a young man forced to commit ritual suicide)
-The Asphalt Jungle
-The Maltese Falcon

Anything by Ingmar Bergman but especially The Silence and The Seventh Seal

New Threads

Top Bottom