• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who Else Hates Traveling?

Galaxy Freeze

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Anyway, so the title says it all.

I cannot handle traveling, especially long trips. We are going to go on one this summer, yippee. I just hate being away from home, I feel like I'm gonna have an anxiety attack because I'm not in my comfort zone, you know?

Even just seeing relatives for a day... I love them, of course. I just hate... GOING. Know what I mean? Share your thoughts!

In general I hate travelling.

I don't really like going somewhere for long periods, unless I carry around things I want to use like my e-reader, my ipod and some other things. That kinda relieves tension and keeps my mind on other things besides travelling.

As a kid I never went camping cause I got homesick (mainly cause it was either a programme I had to deal with, and I couldn't, or just because I didn't have my things around). And when I went on vacation with my parents I'd have bags of toys around so I felt comfy wherever I was.

I kinda have it easy with my girlfriend, who lives about 100 miles from me, but she likes to visit me more than she wants me to visit her (and her parents). Occaisionally I have to go there (in 3 weeks or so is her birthday), but I'll head home the same night probably. I can't sleep at other beds but mine. The last time I slept somewhere else was when I 12 years ago or so. Besides that I just stayed awake or took a short nap on a couch if I stuck at some peoples place.

I never visit relatives and I still live at my parents house. And they don't care about relatives either. So we're like a small 3 person household with few people coming in.

Usually I'm already stressed out if I have to go somehwere and I actually need to be there for a reason like for instance moving furniture out. I want to get that done ASAP and leave again so I can be back in my comfort zone.

I have a love/hate relationship with travelling. I love exploring new places, seeing new things, and escaping the monotony that is my life. Sometimes, I just need to get away from the city and just escape civilization. It's nice to travel away from the busy, crowded, and fast paced city life to somewhere in the countryside (or even the suburbs!). Also, I love taking pictures and looking at different scenery. For me travelling is not really about visiting people (although I use that as an 'excuse' to travel) but rather to get away from my day-to-day life.

As for the parts I dislike about travelling - I am extremely absent-minded and forget to pack things and lose things. I also hate being in tiny spaces for hours at a time. "Travelling" would be so much more pleasant if we can get to places instantly. Someone should invent a teleportation machine.

I don't really like to travel much. I don't like being at other people's houses to sleep. If I do I have to do that then I stay up unable to sleep (another point for the weirdness). But there are places I would love to go.:cute:

I hate traveling with my family because it means much less privacy (especially in hotels with them for roommates), but I think that once I'm on my own and can travel on my own, I'll like it. I like going to new places (even sleeping in different places doesn't bother me), but I don't like being around other people for so long, and I don't like being dragged along to do whatever my family wants to do.

My parents would make fun of me growing up cause everytime we went on a car trip, as we got into the car, I would throw a blanket over my head and go to sleep, that was the only way I could deal with the motion sickness.

yes, yes, yes! i hate travelling! even between my place and the "other" home (boyfiend's place). once i get there i'm okay but the travel is hell, both on my brain and body.

I _just_ got back from Texas. 1,000 mile trip.

It was like the 12 days of Christmas song:

1st day was a dirty hotel room ( i have OCD, probably not that dirty)
2nd day was more travel and use of public restrooms. (yuck)
3rd - 8th day was filled with nieces and nephews aged 0-12, probably 10 of em in all. (Better living through pharmacueticals)
9th day drive home. More public restrooms. BLAH
10th day. Home. House is silent except for the ticking of a clock and the occasional loud car outside.

Needless to say, i hate travelling.

Me too. I don't really travel. I get to work and home and a few other places and other than that I don't really do long trips. My mom wants us to go visit one of my uncles with his granddaughter and she wants me to go with. I just kinda nodded and prayed she won't have enough money to do it come June. I don't like trying to explain that leaving my routine is hell for me makes me crabby and cranky and often meltdownsish.

I LOVE traveling. But it's the road trip I love; not necessarily the destination. I love towns, so that's a big part of it. Just the individuality of them...I don't know. That's Asperger's for you. It's always a new world I can see out the window, the different types of cars to look at. I just love it.

I enjoy traveling if I'm a passenger, which is almost never. I'm almost always behind the wheel for some reason. I like being new places, but getting there is so unpleasant. I'm a terrible airline passenger, since I panic (quietly) at takeoffs and landings. The smell of airplanes makes me nauseous now because it brings back so many anxious memories. I also have a hip problem so when I sit too long in any mode of transportation I will be in a lot of pain and the resulting crankiness. Damn near anything can make me motion sick too, even if it's not moving. Like movies that are supposed to be shot first person.

Usually if I want to go somewhere, I'll go camping. I can control my pace, not get sick, control my food, where and when I sleep, and it's quieter and fewer people.

Camping is something I could never do. I like the outdoors & nature, but not to spend a week or 2 living directly in it. I do like a good hotel or resort that allows for privacy. I don't like a bunch of luxe-type services, but I like it to be spotless, efficiently managed & comfortable. The actual travelling is something I have a love/hate relationship with. I love to fly BUT I can't stand sitting around waiting for my flight with a bunch of other people. I love being on the plane & flying BUT I hate the airplane smell & I hate airplane food. I sleep very well on planed BUT I hate it when there's someone sitting beside me (other than my husband or one of my kids).

As for going long distances, I can relate to Cerulean's sore hip! My husband loves epic long drives (as in from Montreal to the Grand Canyon). We drive down to Florida sometimes 2x/year. Next time, I'm flying down for sure. I enjoy seeing the architecture & landscape change as we proceed further South through the US, but I hate spending countless hours on changeless highways in the darkness for hours on end: feels strangely like we're on a treadmill going nowhere.

I like visiting different countries but I'm also very safety conscious. Many places just aren't safe for tourists like they used to be. Qcers used to fly down to Mexico annually as commonly as they'd go watch a hockey game. It really wasn't anything extraordinary & there were many economical all inclusive deals to benefit from. Nowadays, with the drug gangs going berserk shooting & beheading anyone they can catch, most people don't go any more. Cuba is an alternative, but there's that desperate climate of fear that you can almost smell in the air amongst the locals. The resorts are so posh & the contrast between that & how the normal people live is just too glaring for me. I was beginning to feel like a grotesque caricature of a rich indifferent swaggering @$$#0LE in my nice resort dresses being served hand & foot by liveried impoverished people paid pennies for their time & expected to be eternally cheerful.

I can't really sleep anywhere other than my own bed. I tell myself it's because of my back problems, but it makes me uncomfortable, too. I absolutely cannot go camping because of my back though. Plus I like to be clean and not have bugs around me.

I don't like travelling that much, because I sometimes prefer to stay at home and not worry about doing anything different. If I'm in the car, I sometimes feel sick, but I don't know why it happens at those pacific times. Travelling also means I have to pack and unpack. I don't always like doing things other than using my iPod and computer and just relaxing. The exciting thing about travelling is probably listening to my iPod in the car. I don't usually see a good reason to go on a holiday when I can just stay home. Also whenever I leave a destination, I get worried and feel panicked on the inside that I might have left something behind even though I really haven't.

Oh yeah, I get sick easily in the car too. Only on long drives though, and if it's during the day time for some odd reason.

I wonder if that may because there isn't as much visual stimuli when its dark, during the day you see all this stuff passing by so fast, and at night you aren't gonna see as much. At night I would look up at the stars when in the car, and the stars don't move nearly as fast.

I enjoy well-prepared road trips (read: pillows, blankets, munchies, drinks, entertainment, me NOT driving). I don't care for the destination generally, the exception being when I was visiting my husband before we got married and he lived in another state. I remember it being fun when I was younger, like visiting my grandparents' houses, or going to Disneyworld, etc. But these days I guess I'm more set in my ways. I don't like other beds (too hard, to squeaky, too cold), or pillows (too flat), not enough blankets, not enough white noise... Although my aunt has the most AWESOME bed although the white noise level sucked. It was so soft I sank into the mattress like 2 inches!! heaven. Anyways back to point... road trips under the aforementioned conditions - fun, although I don't do them much these days. Destination... not so much fun. I don't even like day trips and I only go for my children. Given my druthers I'd stay home all day.

Given my druthers I'd stay home all day.

Me too! I actually haven't left the house in two days, lol. I know I have a lot of traveling around to do tomorrow and Tuesday for Christmas, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself. Everything will have to be planned out because I hate being late, and we have multiple places to go to.

Me too! I actually haven't left the house in two days, lol. I know I have a lot of traveling around to do tomorrow and Tuesday for Christmas, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself. Everything will have to be planned out because I hate being late, and we have multiple places to go to.
It stress me out when we go places, though I try not to say anything. I have four kids and I can usually plan enough time to have myself and the four of them ready to go in time (barring the unexpected last minute trips to the potty >_>) but my husband, bless his heart, seems to take forever to get ready. I'll be ready, kids ready to walk out the door and he'll think that then he should get ready, but it still takes like 20 minutes of unplanned time. And I'm sitting here looking at the clock in agitation, calculating the time to get the the destination and realizing we'll be late, etc. Frustrating!

New Threads

Top Bottom