• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Whistling, snapping, and winking, etc...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
This might sound strange and just occurred to me the other day, there are three things I've never been able to do that I think I am the most self conscious about, and I don't believe I've ever met anyone else unable to do them, could it possibly be an asperger's thing?

1) I can't whistle at all, either to whistle a simple tune or get someone's attention for something, my lips just can't do it

2) I can't snap my fingers, I do the motion I see other people doing, but it does nothing

3) I can't wink, I can't close only one eye to wink, it has be both

It just seems like anyone else I know, I have ever met, can do these seemingly basic things

I’m also unable to do these things. Dyspraxia— I Has it! Getting zippers in their tracks are difficult for me, too, and I’m unable to blow a bubble with bubblegum.
Are you also epically clumsy? Human wrecking ball here. :tonguewink:

Zippers. For something so common, so simple at times they can actually intimidate me. Because after so much use they go bad and usually can't be fixed. Where an entire garment- especially a jacket becomes useless. Ugh. :eek:

I’m also unable to do these things. Dyspraxia— I Has it! Getting zippers in their tracks are difficult for me, too, and I’m unable to blow a bubble with bubblegum.
Are you also epically clumsy? Human wrecking ball here. :tonguewink:

Let's just say you won't want me on your sports team, even if it's just rec league... :p

I can't whistle or blow bubbles with bubble gum. I did learn to wink but if I remember I had to work on it kinda how I learned to do that Vulcan greeting thing with my hand.

I'm okay with whistling and winking, but both of those took me awhile to get the hang of. I didn't learn to whistle until I was about 7 years old, and I didn't learn how to blow bubbles with bubble gum or tie my shoes until I was about 9. I also struggled with zippers on jackets and coats until I was about 6 or 7 (I *still* struggle with them sometimes, mostly b/c I've become so used to just wearing hoodies). I'm still not very good at snapping my fingers...it takes a lot of effort for my fingers to make an actual snapping sound.

Last edited:
I can wink, but whistling and snapping are really hard for me. Instead of those usual talents I have the annoying ability to make noises with my mouth that no one can imitate.

I can whistle and snap. It took me a while to learn how to. Since I started whistling a few years ago that is all I do, and have gotten pretty good.

I can do all and really well. Both left and right hands - even different fingers, and both eyes alternatively.

Whistling and snapping fingers can be a bit of a stim (an alternative to flapping and seemingly more acceptable or rather less noticable)

..."snapping fingers" reads like a form of torture.

The whistling bursts out of me. I have to try to to mindful of where I am. I've noticed it's always a tune rather than a random noise and its range is immense.

I can whistle albeit rather badly but not the attention getting kind. Can also wink with either eye. But I can't snap my fingers to save myself!
It always seems so effortless when others do it. I could never fathom why I couldn't.

Whistling & bubblegum for me, too. Also (though I am certified as gifted), I can't seem to wrap my head around chess. I am fair at checkers [draughts?] but I have no interest in even pursuing chess.
dunno-smiley_orig.gif

Whistling - no problem
Snapping - can only do with left hand
Winking feels more natural with right eye
Vulcan greeting is easy with left hand and takes effort with right hand despite me being predominantly right handed.

Its OK. As long as you can yodel, there is a place for you in the world. ;)

P.S. To snap your fingers the key thing is pushing your middle finger and thumb together hard and then abruptly sliding the thumb off to the side. What is making the noise is the middle finger then suddenly hitting the palm of your hand right below the thumb.

Its OK. As long as you can yodel, there is a place for you in the world. ;)

P.S. To snap your fingers the key thing is pushing your middle finger and thumb together hard and then abruptly sliding the thumb off to the side. What is making the noise is the middle finger then suddenly hitting the palm of your hand right below the thumb.
Yup I know how it's done! Still can't do it though!

I never got the snapping finger thing, either. Winking and whistling is badly done. Most of the time the whistle doesn't work.

Vulcan greeting with my right hand: no problem. :D

This might sound strange and just occurred to me the other day, there are three things I've never been able to do that I think I am the most self conscious about, and I don't believe I've ever met anyone else unable to do them, could it possibly be an asperger's thing?

1) I can't whistle at all, either to whistle a simple tune or get someone's attention for something, my lips just can't do it

2) I can't snap my fingers, I do the motion I see other people doing, but it does nothing

3) I can't wink, I can't close only one eye to wink, it has be both

It just seems like anyone else I know, I have ever met, can do these seemingly basic things
I couldn't do any of that until I spent obscene amounts of time just doing the motion. Now I can snap two fingers on one hand, whistle and wink from both eyes.

New Threads

Top Bottom