• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

where to get Testing for Aspergers??


Well-Known Member
I'm new to this forum, because I'm desperately seeking to find help for my nephew, who we believe is suffering from Aspergers. Here is what I'm looking for, please give me your thoughts on where to go to get a definitive diagnosis of Aspergers for him.

He came to live with us this summer (due to family issues -- he has had a very broken relationship with his mother, partly due to his inability to explain his feelings). He is 18 years old, and is just a wonderful kid! He is quirky and fun, and completely honest. He has had major problems with bullying in his life (both at home and school). I also believe he may have some sort of learning disorder. None of his issues had really been addressed, other than ADD in elementary school and last fall, he'd sunk into such a depression that his mother took him to a psychologist that diagnosed him with Dysthymic Disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. They put him on meds that he said made him feel weird, so he stopped taking them.

I've been reading and researching all that I can on the internet, but REALLY just feel like I need to be counseled on how to help him. Can any on you give me your thoughts on where to begin this journey? I feel overwhelmed!!!

Hi! Well first of all welcome here. It usually depends on your country and if in the USA you're state. Speaking as a social worker (though still looking for a job after I graduated) I want to say that it can be hard but first is he seeing a counselor of any kind for the depression and anxiety. He might want to bring up the Asperger's thing with them, they often have places affiliated with them that are resources in ASD's (autism spectrum disorders). Two he can go to his general practitioner doctor and ask for a referral to an autism specialist. Three if you are in the USA you can call and talk to NAMI, Or this place National Autism Association | Help and Hope for Families Affected by Autism

There are other places on here that you can go to get referrals about ASD's too its in the first section on Autism you will find a link to places that talk about ASD's and how to get diagnosed to lots of things like that here. Good Luck!!!!
Thank you Arashi222, for the advice! I'll check out these resources.

More specifically though, if his present psychologist does not "specialize" in autism spectrum disorders.... would you recommend finding a different one? I ask because, everything I've come across so far on the internet seems to say that the run-of-the-mill psychologists tend to over look Aspergers.

New Threads

Top Bottom