• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where can I get sample questions of autism evaluations?

Noelle

Hi all

I was diagnosed with autism in May 2018 (in my 30's), and included in the eval were these three testing instruments :

MMPI-2 (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory 2nd ed)
SRS-2 (Social Responsiveness Scale 2nd ed)
AQ (Autism Spectrum Quotient)

Does anyone by chance know how I might get access to sample questions from each of these?

I am going to be writing my doctoral dissertation on the design of these assessment measures through the eyes of autistic adults. When I took these tests, I found many of the questions incomprehensibly ridiculous. I'm eager to know what others on the spectrum think, especially given that these tests were designed by "neurotypicals."

The AQ is kind of known to be ridiculous, depend on stereotypes, and not actually make a lot of sense to actual autistic people. Youtuber YoSamdySam and a few others actually took the AQ test on video and discussed their feelings on the questions.

The RAADS-R/RITVO is a much better test (though still not perfect by any means). I can't quite figure out why the AQ hasn't been thrown out yet.

I'm not familiar with the other tests you mentioned.

Here are some of the questions that annoy me in the 50 question AQ:

I prefer to do things the same way over and over again.
Some things I do the same way; brush my teeth or take a shower, other things I do differently. This seems like splitting, or all or nothing thinking, leading the answerer. How do you evaluate whether one does something in a repetitive manner? What is the criteria for too much?

If I try to imagine something, I find it very easy to create a picture in my mind.
Not all Aspies think in terms of imagery or pictures. If and when I imagine something, it's usually related to something I've read, so often it's descriptive words rather than images.

I often notice small sounds when others do not.
I do notice many low and high frequency sounds, I have exceptional hearing. My husband who is HFA, does not. Are there fewer regular people with exceptional hearing? How does that differentiate me from the regular population? This seems so generic.

I usually notice car number plates or similar strings of information.
I am fascinated by dates.
I am fascinated by numbers.

Grew up and went to school at a time where females were not given much training in math or algebra. Numbers are not something I notice as much as other things. Do memorize in some instances usually out of boredom, to keep myself occupied. This seems very specific.

I enjoy doing things spontaneously.
I do sometimes do things with ease. It's not something that I'm fearful of.

Last edited:

Grew up and went to school at a time where females were not given much training in math or algebra. Numbers are not something I notice as much as other things. Do memorize in some instances usually out of boredom, to keep myself occupied. This seems very specific.

This question always angers me. Not everyone who is autistic is fascinated by numbers!!!! Such a stereotype. We're fascinated by/notice all kinds of things, why are they so obsessed with the idea that it has to be numbers?

This question always angers me. Not everyone who is autistic is fascinated by numbers!!!! Such a stereotype. We're fascinated by/notice all kinds of things, why are they so obsessed with the idea that it has to be numbers?

<sarcasm>
we all know that you can be only on the spectrum if you figured out the entirety of calculus at the age of 5
</sarcasm>

The AQ test can be found on the Autism Research Center website: Tests Archive - Autism Research Centre

I am not familiar with the other two, but a Google search might come up with something. However, if they are proprietary, you may have to pay.

Personally, I have no problems with the AQ questions. While the AQ-10 has not shown to be very predictive, the longer test has. So whether you like the questions or not, it seems to work.

Yeah. the questions
Here are some of the questions that annoy me in the 50 question AQ:

I prefer to do things the same way over and over again.
Some things I do the same way; brush my teeth or take a shower, other things I do differently. This seems like splitting, or all or nothing thinking, leading the answerer. How do you evaluate whether one does something in a repetitive manner? What is the criteria for too much?

If I try to imagine something, I find it very easy to create a picture in my mind.
Not all Aspies think in terms of imagery or pictures. If and when I imagine something, it's usually related to something I've read, so often it's descriptive words rather than images.

I often notice small sounds when others do not.
I do notice many low and high frequency sounds, I have exceptional hearing. My husband who is HFA, does not. Are there fewer regular people with exceptional hearing? How does that differentiate me from the regular population? This seems so generic.

I enjoy doing things spontaneously.
I do sometimes do things with ease. It's not something that I'm fearful of.
Yeah, those questions seem driven by autistic stereotypes (Sheldon Cooper, Rain Man, etc.) than real autistic people and behavior.

Most NTs do the same things, the same way, over and over. Worse yet, they expect different results. At least we expect the same results.

I completely agree. This is totally ridiculous. But the AQ was created by Simon Baron-Cohen, who also developed the theory of autism and the male brain. He focused almost exclusively on males with seemingly exceptional mathematical skills. Very shortsighted indeed.

New Threads

Top Bottom