• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

when to tell someone tell you have aspergers

I'm new to all this having recently found out but after telling family etc I've decided for now to stop telling anyone due the teriible way I'm treated afterwards.
I suddenly become a idiot or a small child in thier eyes and all contact is broken off very quickly.
I had 1 friend and a few social acquaintances, right now only 1 of my brothers has any contact with me.

It's the complete oppsoite of what I need TBH, It had been a relief at first to understand why I was different all those years and I had hoped it would help mend some releationships if people understood why I'd acted the way I did but it seems to have ended them completely.

In short until I can figure it out myself I'll be keeping my discussions about it to this website.

I've heard that it may be wise to disclose it to the following people/in the following situations:
1) Your close friends and family members (for support).
2) Anyone who is threatened by your awkwardness or social mistakes (like, for instance, if you are picked on or discriminated against by a manager of a store for social unawareness, apologize and explain that you have Asperger's and tend to have a hard time with that so they won't be threatened. You may be approached in a more friendly way in the future. I read that in "Getting A Life With Asperger's" by Jesse A. Saperstein - it's paraphrased, of course. But it works :)
3) Doctors possibly, so they get a general idea of how to explain things, sensory issues, etc.
4) Long-term romantic partners, at a certain stage in dating, if the issue comes up.

When your solicitor (lawyer) says it might be helpful in defense of your case.

LOL

Simple: unless it's obvious and they suspect or can tell DONT'T.

you will live to regret it so very badly.

Just trust me on this.

Whatever it is that you have that shows as symptoms can be explained as something else: ocd, trauma, visual problems, hearing problems

New Threads

Top Bottom