• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the oldest feature film you've seen?

Seen a fair few old films:

Top Hat (1935) - I watched this after seeing it in the movie version of Stephen King's The Green Mile.

Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937) - One of the first films I watched in my life.

Godzilla (1954) - I watched this during my Godzilla phase; it was pretty disturbing.

Supersonic Saucer (1956) - I was looking up CFF films when I found and watched this one. Funnily enough, Frank Wells - the son of War of the Worlds writer H.G. Wells - was the one who wrote the film's story and produced the film.

It's not really a full "film" but Steamboat Willie. My dad rented it from the library as he wanted all of us kids to see the type of stuff he grew up seeing. My grandma watched it with us and she said she remembered seeing it in high school with her friends when they brought it back to the movie theaters briefly. For her, that would have been in the mid 1950s. It was weird, especially seeing one of the characters (early Pete maybe?) chew tobacco. You would never see anything like that now! I also kind of remember seeing the end of King Kong when I was little. My grandpa was watching it and explaining it to me. I must have been four or five then.

As I had already mentioned in another thread about older shows (Do you try to seek out older shows that were before your time?) my main interest is Sherlock Holmes and I have already watched quite some older Sherlock Holmes adaptions. Apart from this I haven't seen many very old movies though, so my list is rather one-sided.

Sherlock Holmes Baffled is the oldest movie I watched, but as it's only a 30 seconds short movie, it doesn't really count as a feature film, I think.
Sherlock Holmes i Bondefangerkloer (Sherlock Holmes in Conman Claws) is from 1910 and about 12 minutes long.
The two movies with Georges Tréville (The Copper Beeches and The Musgrave Treasure) (1912) I saw were about 20 minutes long.
Most of the movies of the Sherlock Holmes series with Eille Norwood from the 1920s are about 25 minutes long. I also saw the version of The Sign of Four starring him in 1923, which is a movie that is about 85 minutes long.
Lastly, I've also, once, muted the music. It was the 1920 version - whoops, that is the equal oldest film I've seen - of Jekyll and Hyde, starring John Barrymore. The music was ridiculously merry towards the end, where Hyde was murdering more and more people, so much so that it was impossible to treat it as a horror film and not a black comedy.
I haven't seen this movie, but another movie with John Barrymore, Sherlock Holmes (1922). This is actually the oldest movie I have seen that's longer than about 25 minutes and even longer than an hour, given the fact that it's older than the aforementioned movie The Sign of Four.

Studied some movie history while in the art school. I think I've seen pretty many of the oldest there are: metropolis, atleast some lumieres films, nosferatu, battleship potemkin, trip to moon (short film)... Oh boy those are boring:p

London After Midnight is a much sought after film, but the original copy from 1927 was melted in a fire at MGM. While it was eventually released again, that version consisted of only stills. Very odd. o_O

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Correction - it was actually Safety Last (1923), albeit on TV - AQotWF is the oldest film I have seen in a cinema. I remember my parents came into the room just before the iconic "dangling from a clock face" scene and were instantly hooked.

North by Northwest, 1959

also, a few of the Buster Keaton short silent films, who was basically the Charlie Chaplin of his time (this being the 1920s)

New Threads

Top Bottom