• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's some ridiculous things you've thought were true?

You're not really meant to eat the seeds man.

Your Mother was pulling your leg :D

I wonder if that old wive's tale exists because apple seeds and some other seeds contain cyanide. Maybe saying a tree would grow in the stomach wouldn't put them off fruit the same as saying the seeds are poisonous.

Maybe say a tree would grow in the stomach wouldn't put them off fruit the same as saying the seeds are poisonous.

The same batch of kids I mentioned in an earlier post
also maintained, since grown ups had told them so,
that cracking open a peach pit and eating
the seed (looks like an almond) would kill a person.

So that was what these kids immediately set about
doing. Cracking the pit to eat the seed.

Not to die.
But to disprove the grown ups.

I used to believe animals conversed with each other the same as humans. Like if I made friends with a wild animal like a bird, squirrel, rabbit etc, it would go tell the others they could trust me.

That the world is fair and everyone equal. Doesn't exactly work like this.

From silly ones, once my parent said that if I'm not good my toys are going to run away and for some time I believed they had secret lives at night. Oh, there was also this one about some old man coming in winter at night and eating my cookies.

Having been raised with a full machine shop in the basement of the home I grew up in, we were told basic safety items that were necessary in order to prevent injuries.
At about age 6,my father told my brother and I if we ever dropped one of his grinding wheels, to show it to him because it could blow up.

One day, while sweeping up the shop and placing the chips in the barrels in the driveway, we found a spent grinding wheel that had been discarded.
These weren't grinding wheels used on a bench grinder either, they were used on either cylindrical or surface grinding machines.

The entire rest of the afternoon was spent first gently tossing it into the air to see it fall to the ground, then whipping it up against the brick wall of the house for hours on end.

After an entire afternoon was spent trying to get it to blow up, the conclusion we drew was that Dad was an idiot because dropping one, much less than blasting one up against a brick wall didn't produce the desired effect.

Heck, we watched cartoons too, and knew that an explosion would just make the recipient turn black and the others would laugh at him.

Dad never explained that after one got cracked and was mounted on the machine spindle, centrifugal force would make one fly apart violently, hence the explosion he told us about.
After mounting one, it is necessary to let it run at full speed to one full minute while staying out of a direct line of it in case it should fail catastrophically.

A few years later, he showed us how to hold one up by the center bore and ping it with your finger so you could listen to it ring. If it rang, it wasn't cracked and could be determined that it was safe to mount. If it was cracked, it won't ring, it will only make a dull thud.
That's how you know it is time to put it in the trash :D

Wow it's been educational reading all this - so you're saying Santa isn't Real? !

Seriously though, despite many disappointing experiences at times, I still do believe that ideally with an ok start in life and ongoing care, people have huge potential, and that change and development is possible for us all.

Historically, I think my idea of how friendship works came from children's authors who were often presenting a simpler picture than I experienced in the world. But maybe that's partly because I couldn't fill in the gaps that would seem obvious to an NT person.

I prefered reading stories to trying to interact therefore.

I still feel there's more than we know out there... this is enhanced when I m walking in ancient woods or by rivers or the sea ...

The usual childhood stories of Santa and the Toothfairy.
Also I remember as a young child, my pet Beagle had puppies one night outside the house.
In the morning my parents brought them in and told me if I went outside and looked in the garden
I'd find where she "dug them up."
I looked and found little holes and said here's where one came from!
Gives new meaning to Cabbage Patch Kids.

All of the things that I believed as a child have been listed here, so I will tell you about something that my youngest son used to believe. For many, many years our family pets have been Chihuahuas. He was very disappointed to hear that there aren't packs of wild Chihuahuas running around in the deserts of Mexico. I suspect that one of his older siblings was responsible for that one.

My daughter told me fairly recently that she always thought you had to be real quiet when recording something. She must have remembered me saying how we used to record things onto cassettes from the radio and you'd always hear the dog barking, doors shutting and an occasional voice.

I don't tell this one often - but one of my older siblings must have asked where babies come from and my mom said we'd get pregnant if we slept with a boy. I took it literally. One morning I woke up with my male cousin next to me, so for months every time I'd go to the bathroom I'd look to see if there was a baby in the toilet. I was little. lol

I don't tell this one often - but one of my older siblings must have asked where babies come from and my mom said we'd get pregnant if we slept with a boy. I took it literally. One morning I woke up with my male cousin next to me, so for months every time I'd go to the bathroom I'd look to see if there was a baby in the toilet. I was little. lol

LOL! Men can't get pregnant silly :D

That there was a god who had a son who died for our sins, and that we would go to a place called heaven when we died... unless we lied or used swear words or stole things.

That “I am what I do”, which led me to believe that I am only as valuable as my achievements, and that the only part of my identity that is worth anything is the roles I fill: employee, father, husband, etc.

Those roles do have value, but even without them, I still have an intrinsic worth.

New Threads

Top Bottom