• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's Korean food like?

I've had Korean food. Fried noodles with vegetables, meat and some spices, but not overly spiced, if I recall correctly. I liked it!

Korean is completely different then any other Asian, so it’s pointless to compare Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, or Thai foods. I have eaten Korean food since 1980, and used to eat it weekly. Thai, Japanese, and Vietnamese are my favorite foods though. The Korean specific plated foods I love are expensive to dine out, and I do not have specialized appliances at home to prepare them. Kobe beef anyone?

There is amazing Korean Bar-b-que....if you want to spend money as it’s more expensive menu item. There is Bibimbop (Bibam bap spelling?) just google that and see- a rice bowl with an uncooked fresh egg on top, that is mixed into the hot soup and veggies. There is a sizzling rice dish that is extremely entertaining as it sounds like it will explode right at your table! There are super hot stoves at certain tables, in which eaters and cook their own dishes too.

There is MY favorite: Bulgogee...which is a beef based dish. White rice is usually served with Korean foods. There are also an truly AMAZING vast array of Panchai....the little appetizer dishes that precede your meal. They will look strange, and are utterly delicious! Seaweed, kimchee (spicy fermented cabbage), dried very tiny salty fish, different sliced vegetables in a pickled liquid. Try everything, even if it’s the tiny octopus. Be adventurous and know that Koreans eat a lot from the sea, as well as beef, pork, and eggs. Some Korean food is spicy, so be aware of that. Ask for less spice, and know that Kimchee IS spicy and extremely healthy. I adore kimchee and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lucky to live in a region where Asian groceries are everywhere. Most of the foods I prepare and cook/eat are 100% Asian. I detest American food.

The spicy heat of Asian foods comes by completely different peppers than jalapeños, or Habaneros. Not all Asian food is spicy. Some is flavored by delicious sesame oils, sugar, soy or fish sauce, etc. It’s truly healthy eating. If you have to watch sodium levels though, it’s not for full-time eating, unless you make your own in a healthier way. My frig is stocked!

Last edited:

You do know that the fast food restaurants serve up different foods in the different countries right? It is all about what the locals like to eat. You might be able to get “a burger,” but be prepared for a lot of strange menu items also. What’s the point of going to different countries if not to experience different cultures and ways of life? In other words, why would you leave home if closed off for seeking new experiences?

Never had it but let us know what you think of it should you go. Don't be like me when I go to a Chinese restaurant and order Canadian.

See if you can get a menu and post it here so that we can walk you through it; Mary Anne seems to be quite the connoisseur, and I'm pretty enthusiastic about Korean food as well (used to have it weekly or twice a week for a few years).

You should be able to find not-too-spicy options if you stay away from the stews. Bulgogi is usually not too hot, but that can vary from restaurant to restaurant depending on how they make their sauce.
Bibimbap is pretty emblematic, so that would be a good thing to try. Caution: it's usually served in a hot stone bowl so that the meat and egg finish cooking as you stir it, so you might want to avoid it if your coordination is bad.

A couple of cultural notes:
- Korean people pride themselves on the amount of heat they can handle from peppers, which is why many options are spicy, but they tend to accommodate Western tastes fairly well. A Korean restaurant frequented mostly by non-Koreans will be veeeeeery different than one frequented mostly by Koreans.
- Chopsticks are different; they're thin and made of metal, so it can be a little tricky to manage if you're not good with chopsticks, but I suppose the restaurant would have forks on hand (if not: bring one to be safe).
- You should find little bowls of pickled vegetables on your table that are meant to be shared. Just a friendly heads up in case sharing food with your friends is something you struggle with (I know I only bring my closest friends because of that; I couldn't resort to sharing food with just an acquaintance, but that may be just me).

Here's a picture of a meal I had a couple of weeks ago. You'll see a bowl of rice, the aforementioned vegetables (all for me that day since I had lunch on my own), and a very spicy pork dish that's among my favorites. [Also, I'm not one of those people who must take pictures of every meal they have to post it on Instagram or what have you, but I wanted to show it to a friend I was discussing Korean food with, so I needed to take that one picture. Not shown is the soybean and scallion pancake served before]
20180810_143022.jpg
It shows that you should be able to find options where the food doesn't mix/touch if that's one of your pet peeves, too.
And you should be able to find a fair amount of seafood (because of coastlines and islands), as well as the usual beef/chicken/pork options. Some offal, too, but that's not my thing, so I can't write about this.

Last edited:
See if you can get a menu and post it here so that we can walk you through it; Mary Anne seems to be quite the connoisseur, and I'm pretty enthusiastic about Korean food as well (used to have it weekly or twice a week for a few years).

You should be able to find not-too-spicy options if you stay away from the stews. Bulgogi is usually not too hot, but that can vary from restaurant to restaurant depending on how they make their sauce.
Bibimbap is pretty emblematic, so that would be a good thing to try. Caution: it's usually served in a hot stone bowl so that the meat and egg finish cooking as you stir it, so you might want to avoid it if your coordination is bad.

A couple of cultural notes:
- Korean people pride themselves on the amount of heat they can handle from peppers, which is why many options are spicy, but they tend to accommodate Western tastes fairly well. A Korean restaurant frequented mostly by non-Koreans will be veeeeeery different than one frequented mostly by Koreans.
- Chopsticks are different; they're thin and made of metal, so it can be a little tricky to manage if you're not good with chopsticks, but I suppose the restaurant would have forks on hand (if not: bring one to be safe).
- You should find little bowls of pickeld vegetables on your table that are meant to be shared. Just a friendly heads up in case sharing food with your friends is something you struggle with (I know I only bring my closest friends because of that; I couldn't resort to sharing food with just an acquaintance, but that may be just me).

Here's a picture of a meal I had a couple of weeks ago. You'll see a bowl of rice, the aforementioned vegetables (all for me that day since I had lunch on my own), and a very spicy pork dish that's among my favorites.View attachment 46856
It shows that you should be able to find options where the food doesn't mix/touch if that's one of your pet peeves, too.
And you should be able to find a fair amount of seafood (because of coastlines and islands), as well as the usual beef/chicken/pork options. Some offal, too, but that's not my thing, so I can't write about this.

Yummy, thanks for that image! I am now starving and craving Korean foods! What is the name of that pork dish? I will order it. Yes, you are so correct about the restaurants where Asians are eating rather than the “tourist” others! I only go to the ones where only Asians eat. The food IS different, exciting, and authentic. Love the side dishes in your photo. Love the sesame spinach (which I now make at home), the kimchee, pickled vegetables, bean sprouts and purple rice. yum yum.

What is the name of that pork dish? I will order it.
I will need to check the menu next week or the one after that for the name, because I've been ordering it almost every time for close to 13 years, but... I haven't looked at that section of the menu in about as long. It's pork with glazed carrots and onions, if that can help.

I will need to check the menu next week or the one after that for the name, because I've been ordering it almost every time for close to 13 years, but... I haven't looked at that section of the menu in about as long. It's pork with glazed carrots and onions, if that can help.

Thanks, that helps! Wow, 13 years ordering the same item! It must be awesome! I too take photos of my foods, collect menus, and make notes on the choices I make. One restaurant may not be as good in a specific dish as another. I try different items, but I also keep ordering the same favorite dishes. I also try to find the recipes and try them myself, but sometimes it’s just too laborious, and going to the restaurant is easiest.

My favorite foods are Thai, Japanese (udon soup and sushi), and Vietnamese. Do you eat those too? I make udon soup at home, gigantic pots full in winter, and eat daily. I wish I could eat out Asian every day!

New Threads

Top Bottom