• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would your perfect childhood look like?

A childhood I can look back fondly. It's hard to ever feel good about childhood when I realized more and more that i was massive dumbass and people probably thought i was weird and annoying bc of it. And a good friend I still keep to this day, still have yet to find one hahahaha :)))))))))))))))))

Interesting question! Like several other people before me have stated, I don't think the "perfect childhood" exists. Honestly it's kind of hard to say what I would change, because the biggest, most consistent struggle in my life since I was very young has been OCD, and even if I was born into 100% idealistic circumstances... I still would have struggled a lot. Then again if I had gotten proper treatment, it might not have been as bad.

Other than that, it would have been nice to have siblings, or at least other kids my age in the family. I might have been less lonely if that were the case. I would have also liked it if my mom hadn't been so overprotective, because even though she meant well, it made my anxiety worse than it needed to be. I still have some trust issues because I was taught to be afraid of everyone.

Now my teenage years are another story; there are a lot of things I would change if I could. I would have challenged myself more in school by taking honors courses from the start, been more active in finding friends and joining clubs, and got on social media a lot earlier (though that ties into the overprotective mom thing...). I also would have gotten my drivers license when I was 16. It would've made me feel better about myself.

What aspects of your childhood would you change if you got to re-live it? You can change up what you like, but be realistic.

I would change me. I would want to be a more evolved version of myself. Basically, I want what a lot of people would want in life. I want a do-over with a better version of me, a wiser version of me, and a more realistic one, too. Things happen. Horrible things.. I could make a list of things I would want to remove from my past, but it's just smarter to put someone much much stronger (and preferably smarter) in the middle of it all. If only..

No big brother. Or other bullying sibling. Parents who were concerned about me rather than my grades. Acceptance and helpful support from my parents rather than being viewed with impatience, disgust, mockery, and disappointment. Real help for socializing skills - not just thrown to the wolves, er, other children. The ability to be fully me in the open rather than hiding it all in my room.

I would change me. I would want to be a more evolved version of myself. Basically, I want what a lot of people would want in life. I want a do-over with a better version of me, a wiser version of me, and a more realistic one, too. Things happen. Horrible things.. I could make a list of things I would want to remove from my past, but it's just smarter to put someone much much stronger (and preferably smarter) in the middle of it all. If only..
If I could only change me, I wish I would have had more confidence in myself, despite everyone else's misgivings about me. I wish I could have just had peace within myself about myself, and I wish I had kept myself away from negativity (like my older brother) rather than always hoping and trying again and again to please those other, very different, people.

A month ago maybe I'd ask for an other life or another family.
But, I watched this video the other day. It said "what if you really have a soul and you chose the parents and life you wanted to live, in order to become a better soul?"
I don't know whether I have a soul or not, I just know that living the life I lived and having the parents I have, really made me a better person.
From now on, whenever something bad is happening to me, I'll always say "challenge accepted".

Better Mom, Better Dad...
Encouragement to go outside and play...
Having a Best Friend
Going on roadtrips, sleepovers, camping etc.
Making Honor Roll (I never did)
No arguments or fights or beatings
No bullies
Closer Family
Tolerance and letting me be just a kid

This is such an interesting idea, to be a more evolved self....to be honest, I think I would struggle even if I was my current self back then, I am still not evolved enough to handle this!!! But it would have been much easier. And ironically, I would not change anything, as many mentioned in their posts....I would not be who I am today if it wasnt for the past. Great thread!

This is such an interesting idea, to be a more evolved self....to be honest, I think I would struggle even if I was my current self back then, I am still not evolved enough to handle this!!! But it would have been much easier. And ironically, I would not change anything, as many mentioned in their posts....I would not be who I am today if it wasnt for the past. Great thread!

I wouldn't be who I am, either. But, I would be okay with not being what i am now. (not who, i did mean "what")

New Threads

Top Bottom