• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you want in a dating site?

I used to believe in going Dutch but after reading some books about the subject, I now think that men should pay for every date. There's nothing wrong with a "special" date where I would do something for my "hunny" like a nice home cooked meal, but I do think things are better the "old fashioned" way like they have always been (except for the last 20 yrs or so). The books say that in the traditional roles a guy is made to feel more manly and a girl more feminine. Men and women aren't supposed to be equal in all things. And a woman is supposed to let the man open doors for her and pull out her chair at the table. That is good traditional etiquette. It's too bad things have changed so much.

When it comes to a dating site, what I look for is if the man pays the extra to be able to contact me. If he is not wanting to spend the extra money to find me then I'm already not worth the effort.

And if my "hunny" happened to be Aspie and he was my "sweetie" then that would be fine with me. I would hope people don't choose a "hunny" just because that person is an NT or an Aspie. They both have good qualities. It's the person underneath that matters. :)
My only concern is those woman who are a gold digger.

What a wonderful idea, Pandorum. I admire your ingenuity and drive.

I'm sorry in advance if any of this repeats others' suggestions. I only skimmed the preceding responses.

I would say one very important consideration would be the cost of membership. Dating sites aren't cheap to run, but for a community with many un- and under-employed members, a site shouldn't be costly to join, either. You will want to pre-consider what sort of advertising you would deem acceptable to your audience, and research how much you would need so you don't wind up in the hole.

You might want to consider adding a private conversation feature to your site, much like the one here at AC, so members would have a way to get to know each other a bit before exchanging private contact information, never mind meeting. I can't speak for all Aspies, but for me, having the chance to exchange letters before taking things further would be very reassuring. You would need to find out what this would do to your liability, however, and consider what role you might have to play as far as addressing problematic exchanges that occur on your site. You could find yourself having to ban paying members, among other potential problems.

Because we Aspies are very complex people, you would also want the options for describing sexual orientation to be very broad, and add profile questions about things like preferred living arrangements, and problematic stressors like crowds, loud noises, etc., to help members identify people who would be most compatible in ways NTs would not generally require. A section for identifying special interests (separate from other, less intense pastimes), co-occurring diagnoses, and how AS diagnosis was reached (self v. doctor) might also be very useful for members.

The question of allowing NTs who are interested in meeting an AS partner is one you would have to consider carefully, as some of these may indeed be predatory. If you don't want NTs to join, you would have to be prepared to refund any fees paid up front.

Since you wouldn't be in direct competition with any existing dating site, you could probably get some very good advice from the owners of some of the smaller existing options. The best advice for any new business often comes from those who have done something similar. There is a dating site for people with mental illness, No Longer Lonely : Online Social Community for Adults with MentalIllness , that might prove useful to review, or good for a chat with an existing site owner.

Hope this helps. Again...great idea! ;)

I've found that aspies and dating is tricky in that they often have problems talking about themselves in a way that appeals to others. Writing a short paragraph about yourself seems hard for some (and not just aspies). Perhaps some kind of aide in that. Or maybe even a more extensive form one fills out that goes beyond; religion, etnicity, the desire to have kids. Probably a few more aspie related things like physical contact and sexuality (since you know; looking for someone, especially with online dating where you judge on pictures for a big part, only to find out someone you're talking to a romantic asexual, but you actually had hopes to get frisky eventually will lead to disappointment). In worst case the option "ask me" could be checked which might open dialogue.

I stupidly posted before reading others' responses, and now see that you and I covered some of the same ground. Not the above, though, exactly. It does relate to something I suggested, about the level of detail in the initial "tick-box" questionnaire. You make an excellent point about the possibility of difficulties communicating in prose, so I would think a very thorough list of multiple choice questions could be of great benefit to this population. Your suggestion of offering some kind of aid for writing a profile is also a very good one. If members can join for free but need to pay to contact others directly, as on match.com, etc., then the profile-writing service would probably have to be free of charge. Staffing this could be tricky as the site grows, and turnaround time would have to be quite fast or it could make the process of joining too involved for some people to bother with. It's most definitely a feature worth working out, though.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I wasn't expecting much but this is great, so many ideas and suggestions.

Here is a list of features I definitely plan to add:
  • Profiles not visible to non-members
  • Private messaging
  • Ability to block specific people
  • Ability to block messages except from those interacted with
  • Photos, with the ability to hide them and only show to those interacted with
What I mean by "interacted with": you've liked their profile or messaged them. Simply viewing their profile isn't counted.

Everything except username, email and password is optional, email is required to verify the user isn't a robot trying to spam as well as to receive notifications if you choose. Passwords are encrypted with the Blowfish cipher.

I also plan to make it free. While requiring people to pay does help reduce the amount of spammers and unwelcome people (which is why the site has the blocking/hiding features listed above), not many people like to pay with the possibility of not finding anyone.

Staffing this could be tricky as the site grows, excellent point.

Thank you
  • Photos, with the ability to hide them and only show to those interacted with
What I mean by "interacted with": you've liked their profile or messaged them. Simply viewing their profile isn't counted.
I LOVE the photos hiding ability! I've not heard of this feature much before, (other than private photos messages). but what else?

Now, please, if I may ask, how will your website be special or better than any other website that currently exists? why choose yours? Just curious. please. share.

Thank you! : )

Now, please, if I may ask, how will your website be special or better than any other website that currently exists? why choose yours? Just curious. please.

It will be focused on people with Autism. There will be profile options specific to Autism, Aspergers, etc, that can be used to find other people.

For example, let's say someone specifies on their profile they want minimal contact (hugs, holding hands, etc), while another person specifies something different, but specify they are okay with minimal contact. It will be easier for the two the find each other.

I should hopefully have a minimal working site up soon. I've already got registration and login completed with the account settings partially complete as well as the basic profile information page almost finished. Just trying to plan out how I want things to work.

Do you have any games to facilitate conversations? like the OKC questions? Just curious. please.

Thanks!!! : )

Last edited:
Do you have any games to facilitate conversations? like the OKC questions? Just curious. please.

The idea is to allow people to fill out their profile with something similar to the OKC questions, with the ability for people to suggest new ones.

Since it would be for a bunch of Aspies, completely bizarre questions should be allowed.

In example, is brain size more important than instinct? My mom and I watched a guinea chase a grasshopper all over the yard once, and while the bird had a bigger brain than the bug, the bug inevitably outwitted/out-instincted the grasshopper. It was a rather delightful discussion starter.

I used to believe in going Dutch but after reading some books about the subject, I now think that men should pay for every date. There's nothing wrong with a "special" date where I would do something for my "hunny" like a nice home cooked meal, but I do think things are better the "old fashioned" way like they have always been (except for the last 20 yrs or so). The books say that in the traditional roles a guy is made to feel more manly and a girl more feminine. Men and women aren't supposed to be equal in all things. And a woman is supposed to let the man open doors for her and pull out her chair at the table. That is good traditional etiquette. It's too bad things have changed so much.

And then there are women, who actually argue if you're telling them "I'll pay for dinner" because they don't think it's appropriate anymore for someone to pay it all, and in fact the women in question want to split the bill.

But hey, that might be type of woman I attract.

Since it would be for a bunch of Aspies, completely bizarre questions should be allowed.

In example, is brain size more important than instinct? My mom and I watched a guinea chase a grasshopper all over the yard once, and while the bird had a bigger brain than the bug, the bug inevitably outwitted/out-instincted the grasshopper. It was a rather delightful discussion starter.

This kind of stuff sounds so familiar... I've ended up in the best conversations (and relationships) over totally absurd conversational material, or at least topics that barely touch upon "what do you do for a living?" and such basic topics that seem to dominate much of the conversations while getting to know someone.

I believe I already answered this dilemma on another thread, no girls no dating site. I would give first contact to the girls only, this would shut down the one nightstand spam trolls who ruin everything for the nice guys, blocking rights as well. Without a healthy pool of girls who feel safe enough to talk and meet the whole thing is a waist of time. Screening and blacklisting out trolls will likely be necessary to. I am not sure money is the issue quality, safety and comfort may mean more.

And then there are women, who actually argue if you're telling them "I'll pay for dinner" because they don't think it's appropriate anymore for someone to pay it all, and in fact the women in question want to split the bill.

But hey, that might be type of woman I attract.

If I ask a guy out I will pay.

If I ask a guy out I will pay.

So if you ask me out and pay, or split the check does that mean you like me more, and are willing buy me a little. Or does it mean you like me less and are hedging to get out of any romantic obligations, such as a good night kiss?
Am not insulted if she values me.

So if you ask me out and pay, or split the check does that mean you like me more, and are willing buy me a little. Or does it mean you like me less and are hedging to get out of any romantic obligations, such as a good night kiss?
Am not insulted if she values me.

What it means is I think it's strange to ask a guy out and also expect him to pay. This only goes for the first date - any dates after that, he'll have to ask me out. I have to watch who I ask out because a lot of guys take it that I'm "easy". And actually whenever I have asked out a guy it has never went past the first date because they usually do hit on me and not in a "first date" kind of way. That's been my experience anyway. Guys always wish that women would do the asking, but I just don't think things go as well when that happens.

[QUOTE="nurseangela, [/QUOTE]

I agree but maybe a little, (smack), now don't get the wrong idea may help keep things headed in the right direction.
I still would like to know if a girl is going out of her way to fight you on the check, is it a sign that there maybe bad karma on the physical chemistry front??????
I am worried that this was the case with my ex.

I believe I already answered this dilemma on another thread, no girls no dating site. I would give first contact to the girls only, this would shut down the one nightstand spam trolls who ruin everything for the nice guys, blocking rights as well. Without a healthy pool of girls who feel safe enough to talk and meet the whole thing is a waist of time. Screening and blacklisting out trolls will likely be necessary to. I am not sure money is the issue quality, safety and comfort may mean more.
Is there a way to eliminate the fake profiles?

How can a girl know she is safe when one of the questions (at least on OKC) is about fantasies of rape? (Definitely required to say NO, so I can stand in a court of law?) Would or should we consider , perhaps, a way,verify police background check? or something?

Are Aspies perfectionists? On another thread someone mentions a "rare snowflake" high % Match and 0% enemy. perfect? Curious, Is that what ALL people hope to find? Otherwise, "it is just not worth leaving the house"? also from another dating thread, this quote (not sure I'm supposed to attach the author name?) "When you have met one aspie, you have met one aspie. The same goes for NTs. " So, any generic "good" guy is as good as any other? I wonder, myself, why bother dating? it's kind of, time consuming....? I am not really interested in getting to know some people & their boring family/friends that much. Although, Marriage might have some benefits. sighs........

Yes, as King Oni says, some absurd conversations can be the most fun adventure!

Yes, I enjoy THAT!

But cooking, cleaning, picking up his dirty socks? daily? people roommates. People breathing my air. In my space? long term? I dunno........I would have to be super duper convinced that this arrangement would enhance my life. (rambles, sorry)

What it means is I think it's strange to ask a guy out and also expect him to pay. This only goes for the first date - any dates after that, he'll have to ask me out. I have to watch who I ask out because a lot of guys take it that I'm "easy". And actually whenever I have asked out a guy it has never went past the first date because they usually do hit on me and not in a "first date" kind of way. That's been my experience anyway. Guys always wish that women would do the asking, but I just don't think things go as well when that happens.
I wish the guys I asked out felt that way. The problem with being attracted to traditional men is that they easily feel emasculated if you ask them out and heaven forbid you cover the tab if they forgot their wallet. :(
Oh well, I nabbed one that is traditional but just weird enough he's secure in his manliness despite my own manliness! Terrifying those other dudes was worth it, even if there was an uncomfortable conversation in the process.

I also plan to make it free. While requiring people to pay does help reduce the amount of spammers and unwelcome people (which is why the site has the blocking/hiding features listed above), not many people like to pay with the possibility of not finding anyone.
I have an income idea! A few of the sites I go to has a "premium" feature where if you subscribe to a membership for varying amounts of time, you don't have to see ads on the site while you're premium. And sometimes additional features like unlocking certain profile decorations and stuff.

If you do have ads, no flashing ones, please. :sweatsmile:

New Threads

Top Bottom