• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What type of obsessions do you have?

Kit

I'm not sure where to put this, Aspies or here. But this is about obsessions.

I have noticed that whenever I have an obsession, it's always with movies. I seem to target movies. And any other obsessions I have are related to that movie obsession. I was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians for a while but I was also obsessed with London and Dalmatians, that's because it was related to that movie. If I have a special interest, it's also related to the movie I'm obsessed with.

But I notice some other aspies don't get obsessed with movies and they get obsessed with topics instead like history such as the civil war, world war two but it's not from a movie they are obsessed with. Some get obsessed with other topics like space or cars, or trains and some get obsessed with objects such as washing machines, door knobs, keys, lights and it's not from a movie they are obsessed with.

But with me I usually target movies as my obsession and anything related to it I tend to get obsessed with or have as my special interest. I've known a few other aspies who got obsessed with movies too and I have one aspie friend who gets obsessed with movies and TV shows and he is also obsessed with sports. But his sports obsession isn't related to any movies because he grew up with sports. But it makes him target movies with baseball in it. I bought him A League of Their Own for Christmas.

I rarely got obsessed with other things that weren't related to a movie. I was obsessed with video games in my teens and it came from no movie. Same as being obsessed with Barbies.

What do your obsessions target?

Yes, its very common for me to get random obessions, from Star Trek to lore from Star Wars, Patrict Stewarts relations with other cast members of Star Trek to Freddie Mercury.... the list goes on, its quite truely amazing the knowledge you find when you dig deep into things.. :)

To an extent I think it's possible to be obsessed with a culture isn't it? Well, seems like it from the 'Japanese' thread. :p

I've had the film obsession on and off all my life. Drove my mum to despair when I used to watch The Goonies at least 3-4 times a day :D The Fearless Vampire Killers was perhaps the most unfortunate obsession, since I insisted on dressing like one of the characters, and the film is set in the late 1800s :eek: My obsesion with Robert E. Howard came out of me seeing Conan The Barbarian at an early age. But my other obsessions are a little different: books for instance. I love reading them, but I have to own any book I read (can't borrow), and I enjoy looking at them, too, even smelling them. If a book smells good I enjoy it more. I also memorise the publication dates and publishers. At one time I could identify publishers just by smelling a book (different papers, inks, etc) :)

I've had many obsessions. My current are Doctor Who and IT (Computing) and anything that's electronic really. Ahh, the amount of coffee makers I've bought.

The IT one I've had all my life, some come and go. For example, I was really obsessed with aviation but I've almost completely gone off that now...and it was replace by music. Music just faded and that was replaced by an even stronger obsession with IT.

So, I'd say electronics really. They've always been a big part of my life. I think I bought my first Tassimo coffee machine when I was 10. Or around that. I replaced my old 2 litre coffee maker :D

I'm interested in aspects of psychology. It sort of moves around.
I was interested in depression and mood-related disorders, then developmental disorders, then delusional and psychotic disorders(only for a week or so), then back to developmental disorders, then depression and mood-related disorder for a couple of weeks and now I'm back at delusional and psychotic disorders.
I'm also interested in Platyhelminthes right now but I know that in like 6 weeks it'll be gone.
EMZ=]

I'm interested in aspects of psychology. It sort of moves around.
I was interested in depression and mood-related disorders, then developmental disorders, then delusional and psychotic disorders(only for a week or so), then back to developmental disorders, then depression and mood-related disorder for a couple of weeks and now I'm back at delusional and psychotic disorders.
I'm also interested in Platyhelminthes right now but I know that in like 6 weeks it'll be gone.
EMZ=]

For me, it's television/movie logos, especially the one for Public Broadcasting Service used from 1971 to 1984.View attachment 13

Attachments

• PBS_1971_id.png
    PBS_1971_id.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 85
I am obsessed with Anime, Manga, Television, Writing, Books, Places, Things, Languages, Culture, and well... technology. I am basically obsessed with anything that is my hobby or anything that I find interesting. ^_~;

Ugh. My step brother wanted me to fix his laptop for him. i had already determined it either needed a new hard drive or motherboard or both yet I continued to dismantle it. Lol then I couldn't get the switch cover COMPLETELY back in so it's sticking up a little tiny bit. Meh :D

Controversy, revolution, action, stimulation, suspense, infatuation, disaster, very good news/luck and very bad news/luck, big things like that.

military stuff, computers, mechanical stuff and buying stuff from hong kong (ive spent like £500 in the past 6or 7 months)

I'm not sure where to put this, Aspies or here. But this is about obsessions.

I have noticed that whenever I have an obsession, it's always with movies. I seem to target movies. And any other obsessions I have are related to that movie obsession. I was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians for a while but I was also obsessed with London and Dalmatians, that's because it was related to that movie. If I have a special interest, it's also related to the movie I'm obsessed with.

But I notice some other aspies don't get obsessed with movies and they get obsessed with topics instead like history such as the civil war, world war two but it's not from a movie they are obsessed with. Some get obsessed with other topics like space or cars, or trains and some get obsessed with objects such as washing machines, door knobs, keys, lights and it's not from a movie they are obsessed with.

But with me I usually target movies as my obsession and anything related to it I tend to get obsessed with or have as my special interest. I've known a few other aspies who got obsessed with movies too and I have one aspie friend who gets obsessed with movies and TV shows and he is also obsessed with sports. But his sports obsession isn't related to any movies because he grew up with sports. But it makes him target movies with baseball in it. I bought him A League of Their Own for Christmas.

I rarely got obsessed with other things that weren't related to a movie. I was obsessed with video games in my teens and it came from no movie. Same as being obsessed with Barbies.

What do your obsessions target?

I have quite a few obsessions, they usually last about a few months. One of my biggest obsessions is Mozilla Firefox becuase it is the best browser and offers the most and many other reasons. If you played The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess you'll noctice that theres a character named Midna, that is actually my name to, which is why I'm obsessed. I used to hate my name until I played this game.

~Midna

One of my biggest obsessions is Mozilla Firefox becuase it is the best browser and offers the most and many other reasons. 
~Midna

Pfft. Opera > All.   :D

Yer, obsessions... I suppose that I have a somewhat obsession with Sony products, considering that about 80% of all my electrical items are made by them. Can't beat the Japanese when it comes to electronics.   B)

For me, it would have to be anything to do with computers like I said on my introduction, space like black holes and other planets, old sci-fi like blakes7 and red dwarf....

I still remain to have these obsessions and proud to have them. :lol:

I should really try google chrome. Anyone feel like noting the obvious pro's/con's over firefox of it, for me? :D Lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom