• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What sort of things gives you a sense of satisfaction?

im no
It is well known that we excel at finding patterns in things. Whether it's algebraic structure, musical patterns or programming we tend to naturally pick them up easily There is also a great chunk of us who find ordering or categorising things to be incredibly satisfying.

Not much springs to mind in the things I have done. However I can think of two things, one is cable management with electronics. Like this one below. I could look at images of these for hours.

View attachment 29879

In case you didn't realise this is not my own work. But I did recently sorted out all the numerous cables on my room for various machines like my PC, stereo system, my N64 and PlayStations with long black elastic sleeves. It looks a lot better now.

The other one was doing lacing styles on my shoes. Here's one I did, I also commented with this on another thread. Unique styles are very appealing to me. A neat style is the best. The style below is called Lattice lacing. I also like the Straight Bar style and have them on my DC shoes.

View attachment 29878

Is there anything you can think of which brings you a level of satisfaction like this to you? I'd like to hear it. After years of just stuffing things in piles and forgetting about it I'm finding things like this to be actually very appealing to me now.
I like to do alot of different things like video games, motorcyles, reading, music.

Oh god yes! This is one area that I accell at. The military has an obsessive sense of organizing things, and that is where I am at home. Shirt, pants, shoes, sox... All organized and folded crisp and neat. Everything has an exact way that it is supposed to be. I have even yelled at absolute strangers about wearing dog tags outside their shirts.
Everything else is organized too. Games are organized by categoey, books in alphabetical order, tools in exact spots (I'm also a bit of a bike mechanic, and am in school for automechanics as well).

I'll see if I can take a picture of the inside of my computer. It's not the most flashiest of things for a high end computer but it looks pretty good nonetheless. It has water cooling too. Bit of a problem because it makes a bubbling sound, doesn't annoy me as such as it used to. It has a lot of fans too.
yes please-id love to see that,im jealous that you have water cooling. :D
have you thought about carpetting the inside of the case for some sound proofing?

Macro Photography. There is so much detail in the world the human eye can't see that macro photography can capture. Example look at this image below View attachment 29884

Now look at the same image below but zoomed in to see more details

View attachment 29885
Great photos! You're not that bad... I was trying to work out what kind of spider had spun the web, but I stopped myself when I began looking at an atlas to try and home in on the geographical location based on the weather and other environmental details in the pictures when I realised I didn't really have enough data to narrow it down conclusively. Hmmn. (Steps quietly out of the room with an apologetic nod.)

It is well known that we excel at finding patterns in things. Whether it's algebraic structure, musical patterns or programming we tend to naturally pick them up easily There is also a great chunk of us who find ordering or categorising things to be incredibly satisfying.

Not much springs to mind in the things I have done. However I can think of two things, one is cable management with electronics. Like this one below. I could look at images of these for hours.

View attachment 29879

In case you didn't realise this is not my own work. But I did recently sorted out all the numerous cables on my room for various machines like my PC, stereo system, my N64 and PlayStations with long black elastic sleeves. It looks a lot better now.

The other one was doing lacing styles on my shoes. Here's one I did, I also commented with this on another thread. Unique styles are very appealing to me. A neat style is the best. The style below is called Lattice lacing. I also like the Straight Bar style and have them on my DC shoes.

View attachment 29878

Is there anything you can think of which brings you a level of satisfaction like this to you? I'd like to hear it. After years of just stuffing things in piles and forgetting about it I'm finding things like this to be actually very appealing to me now.

I love looking at intricacy. I love detailed images of interesting things... Anything showing the engineering paraphernalia of Quantum Physics (ATLAS detector, CERN shown), Macro photography of invertebrates, satellite photography of earth and space telescope imagery. Some of my favourites attached (although you are much better off seeking out the original high-res versions for the best view...)
images
images
images
images

anticipating patterns of behavior in regards to individual people, world events, society, etc. Also organizing objects: books, photos, etc.

I also get a lot of satisfaction from drawing detailed things, sometimes copying them, sometimes making them up. All the fun is in the doing, though. I use chalk pastels (colour) or a 0.05 pen, simply to limit the speed with which I fill up the paper. People find it difficult to understand that I don't value the finished article, and used to routinely give them away. Family and colleagues, however, can become highly disturbed by my attitude to the finished pictures, so I avoid this now. I kind of understand, but I still find it a most odd response...

doodle%2B2%2Bsneak%2Bpeek.jpg

Last edited:
I also get a lot of satisfaction from drawing detailed things, sometimes copying them, sometimes making them up. All the fun is in the doing, though. I use chalk pastels (colour) or a 0.05 pen, simply to limit the speed with which I fill up the paper. People find it difficult to understand that I don't value the finished article, and used to routinely give them away. Family and colleagues, however, can become highly disturbed by my attitude to the finished pictures, so I avoid this now. I kind of understand, but I still find it a most odd response...

doodle%2B2%2Bsneak%2Bpeek.jpg

Amazing stuff.

Going through the process of sharpening, honing and maintaining knives and other hand tools.

And also taking care of my wardrobe( oiling boots, dusting my hat, making repairs to my clothes).

Deleting the junk and duplicate files off my computer and running through it with CCleaner, ensuring that the information in the ID3 tags of my music library (artist names, song titles, high-resolution album art, genre, etc.) is immaculate, looking at photos of patterns in architecture or nature, eating meals with a fork and knife from the same set, putting my Firefox bookmarks list in thematic order, etc.

Cooking and eating makes me happy. Specifically tasting food and figuring out what ingredients and spices were used, then trying to recreate the dish. Or coming up with a new dish by pondering flavors and textures that might work well together. The stereotype that autistic people lack creativity is nonsense.
Another thing that brings me great satisfaction is figuring out a diagnose in medicine. A lot of people think I'm being cold when I say I want to be an MD, not because I want to help people, necessarily, but because I love figuring out each individual puzzle, connecting the dots until I find the proper diagnose. I'm really good at it, and thankfully I've gotten good enough at human interaction through practice that my patients don't notice my usual awkwardness.

Cooking and eating makes me happy. Specifically tasting food and figuring out what ingredients and spices were used, then trying to recreate the dish. Or coming up with a new dish by pondering flavors and textures that might work well together. The stereotype that autistic people lack creativity is nonsense.
Another thing that brings me great satisfaction is figuring out a diagnose in medicine. A lot of people think I'm being cold when I say I want to be an MD, not because I want to help people, necessarily, but because I love figuring out each individual puzzle, connecting the dots until I find the proper diagnose. I'm really good at it, and thankfully I've gotten good enough at human interaction through practice that my patients don't notice my usual awkwardness.

That sounds like a storyline from 'House' the TV series - he was a superb diagnostician who couldn't be bothered with the 'bedside manner' element of his job. There was a lovely story arc (can't remember which season - sorry) whee he was trying to find something new to do instead of diagnosing, so he tried cookery. He was, of course, excellent at it, but took it the nth degree, even considering the molecular chemistry of the action of vinegar...

I agree completely about the 'not creative' myth... I am systematic, not empathetic, but that does not mean I am not creative... When I was assessed pre-diagnosis, I was given a series of objects with which to tell a story. I turned them into 12 different characters, but could not even begin a story. It's just a different kind of creative...

That sounds like a storyline from 'House' the TV series - he was a superb diagnostician who couldn't be bothered with the 'bedside manner' element of his job. There was a lovely story arc (can't remember which season - sorry) whee he was trying to find something new to do instead of diagnosing, so he tried cookery. He was, of course, excellent at it, but took it the nth degree, even considering the molecular chemistry of the action of vinegar...

I've been compared to House jokingly, luckily my bedside manners and socials skills are a tad better than his ;) That specific story arc (and the show, IMHO) is great though!
That, and I'm not a super genius.
I'm more alike to JD from Scrubs than to dr House :D

New Threads

Top Bottom