• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What sort of things gives you a sense of satisfaction?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
It is well known that we excel at finding patterns in things. Whether it's algebraic structure, musical patterns or programming we tend to naturally pick them up easily There is also a great chunk of us who find ordering or categorising things to be incredibly satisfying.

Not much springs to mind in the things I have done. However I can think of two things, one is cable management with electronics. Like this one below. I could look at images of these for hours.

cable-management.jpg

In case you didn't realise this is not my own work. But I did recently sorted out all the numerous cables on my room for various machines like my PC, stereo system, my N64 and PlayStations with long black elastic sleeves. It looks a lot better now.

The other one was doing lacing styles on my shoes. Here's one I did, I also commented with this on another thread. Unique styles are very appealing to me. A neat style is the best. The style below is called Lattice lacing. I also like the Straight Bar style and have them on my DC shoes.

DSC_0043[1].JPG

Is there anything you can think of which brings you a level of satisfaction like this to you? I'd like to hear it. After years of just stuffing things in piles and forgetting about it I'm finding things like this to be actually very appealing to me now.

Last edited:
Jigsaw puzzles. Especially the Wasgij ones where the finished puzzle is different to the one on the box. Never fails to amaze my husband how quickly I can finish one.

Also, that first pic is simply beautiful.

i love a PC that has its innards arranged perfectly,ie with water cooling pipes in to,the last PC i tinkered with had wires all over the place though i didnt know what to do,you would have liked that project it was a gaming PC tower[minus water cooling].

i find great satisfaction in doing something for myself with as little support as possible,like when i do cooking, i try to do as much of it as possible,and i like dressing myself with little support which is difficult for me because of my conditions [including spinal nerve injury],it makes me feel happy and independant which i am greatful for.

you would have liked that project it was a gaming PC tower[minus water cooling].

I'll see if I can take a picture of the inside of my computer. It's not the most flashiest of things for a high end computer but it looks pretty good nonetheless. It has water cooling too. Bit of a problem because it makes a bubbling sound, doesn't annoy me as such as it used to. It has a lot of fans too.

I love composing and improvising on the piano. Been doing it since 6 years old. As an adult, I found out that my music teacher told my parents that I had talent which comes about every 80 years. Savant ability, but wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until last month 34 yrs old! Music always gives immense satisfaction for me. So I decided to dedicate myself to it professionally, finally. :)
There are patterns and logical sequences, whether improvising, composing or reading music.

Telling trolls on various fora, including Facebook and Twitter, to sod off, the Yanks don't understand so they get all confused.

Writing a piece of perfectly timed music on the piano.

Solving a Rubik's Cube or similar puzzle.

Folding clothes and arranging them perfectly in their place.

Having the format, sizing, and font of a body of text aligned with utmost efficiency and aesthetic appeal.

Symmetry.

Minimalist design (ie interior décor photography I could look at for hours).

A clean, well tuned bicycle, with wheels trued and tire pressure just right.

A neatly mowed lawn.

Freshly vacuumed carpets.

There are other things, but I am dis-satisfied much of the time.

IMG_9248.JPG
Having a clean area space for my new tv and stand. This corner used to be very dusty and I stored stuff behind the old tv. It's the cleanest I have ever seen it. I bleached the area with a mop twice in one day and cleaned the windows as well, then dusted and polished my stand. It is literally shiny and clutter-free everywhere now.

Macro Photography. There is so much detail in the world the human eye can't see that macro photography can capture. Example look at this image below
IMG_3296.jpg

Now look at the same image below but zoomed in to see more details

IMG_3296-2.jpg

Telling trolls on various fora, including Facebook and Twitter, to sod off, the Yanks don't understand so they get all confused.

I'm arguing with a grade A d*p s**t right now. I don't like people who view those who have difficulties in life as lesser people. I'm pretty good at exhausting these people because I just don't give up.

It is well known that we excel at finding patterns in things. Whether it's algebraic structure, musical patterns or programming we tend to naturally pick them up easily There is also a great chunk of us who find ordering or categorising things to be incredibly satisfying.

Not much springs to mind in the things I have done. However I can think of two things, one is cable management with electronics. Like this one below. I could look at images of these for hours.

View attachment 29879

In case you didn't realise this is not my own work. But I did recently sorted out all the numerous cables on my room for various machines like my PC, stereo system, my N64 and PlayStations with long black elastic sleeves. It looks a lot better now.

The other one was doing lacing styles on my shoes. Here's one I did, I also commented with this on another thread. Unique styles are very appealing to me. A neat style is the best. The style below is called Lattice lacing. I also like the Straight Bar style and have them on my DC shoes.

View attachment 29878

Is there anything you can think of which brings you a level of satisfaction like this to you? I'd like to hear it. After years of just stuffing things in piles and forgetting about it I'm finding things like this to be actually very appealing to me now.
I love to clear a big space in my house
and hoovering polishing shiny surfaces especially metallic or dark wood
Also trying to make my storage boxes look coordinated
Don't think this is autism but repairing things

View attachment 29879

View attachment 29878

OMGosh that is so cool !! I am about to send you my shoes so you can lace them. You ought to start a shop ans charge $20 a lace. You know people will flock, NTs and Auties alike!!!

View attachment 29879

View attachment 29878

Befofre my accident, it would be learning a new language or memorizing a long poem or somehting intellectual. NOW? You will laugh, but if i go a WHOLE DAY and not talk at all, I AM HAPPY! It makes me peaceful.

Restoring life to watches, clocks, tube radios, rotary telephones, and other electro-mechanical devices that have been 'dead' for years, if not decades. TV's are the exception that do not interest me.

Cleaning and organizing really thoroughly is one thing. Writing a really good article or researching a topic until I understand is another. I also really enjoy frustrating professionals and doctors. However, the greatest sense of accomplishment for me comes when I prove a professional either wrong, or earn their respect as someone who knows what I'm talking about.

OMGosh that is so cool !! I am about to send you my shoes so you can lace them. You ought to start a shop ans charge $20 a lace. You know people will flock, NTs and Auties alike!!!

Thanks. Ha, yeah. Failing that I could just go work in a shoe shop and go nuts with it. It did take two attempt on my right shoe to get the pattern right though with that style, I also had to be careful not to twist the laces when going over the top of the eyelets otherwise it just doesn't look neat with those type of laces.

Befofre my accident, it would be learning a new language or memorizing a long poem or somehting intellectual. NOW? You will laugh, but if i go a WHOLE DAY and not talk at all, I AM HAPPY! It makes me peaceful.

If it makes you happy. I spend a lot of time on my own and I couldn't be attached to someone all the time - which is something that does worry me about future relationships, being around no one all day could be difficult for me, not necessarily have to talk to them but just be in the company of others. I'm hoping that when I'm ready to live on my own I will have a job I enjoy so I get some sort of interaction with others in the day. Being on your own can be refreshing though for me, I can do anything I want and not worry about what others may think.

I get satisfied at work if we get a sudden rush of customers and I manage to serve them all without getting all flustered, usually happens just after Lunch, between about 12.50 and 13.45 PM.

New Threads

Top Bottom