• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What song is the soundtrack to your life?

Doliba

A song that really resonates you, or you feel like describes your life.
If your life was a movie, what would be the soundrack?

Mine would be Hoppípolla by Sigur Rós. The song is in Icelandic, but the sound of the music really resonates with me in a way that no other song does. I'd love for this song to be played at my funeral or something.

This one sums it up nicely.

I'll add that I've always misheard the lyrics on this.
Where it goes -
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I have always heard :-
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war for a leaf rolled in a cage?
Miss spent youth I suppose. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not sure if it necessarily represents me but super nostalgic sounding.
Spring lane~ Colorful path

This song just reaffirms my feelings of always needing to overcome something. I have a few songs though that I feel reflect my life experience.

The theme song of my life needs to become something like these. Maybe I need to listen to things like this to get going for awhile

The theme song of my life needs to become something like these. Maybe I need to listen to things like this to get going for awhile

icon_ninja.gif
Check out R.A. the Rugged Man. He's positive, and him and his siblings all had developmental issues as a result of his father's exposure to Agent Orange.

I like his older work, that's the vein I prefer to work in, but he's a lyrical wizard no matter what he talks about. Something I've noticed is a couple of the white rappers who started getting big in the 90s, pre-Shady era is that a lot of them seem like they might have autism, Shady and R.A. both have developmental issues, in Eminem's case it's due to oxygen deprivation and DeAngelo Bailey.

Further, when I look in the pictures of underground east coast and upper midwest groups/crews regardless of ethnic background I see a lot of aspie eyes.

icon_ninja.gif
Check out R.A. the Rugged Man. He's positive, and him and his siblings all had developmental issues as a result of his father's exposure to Agent Orange.

I like his older work, that's the vein I prefer to work in, but he's a lyrical wizard no matter what he talks about. Something I've noticed is a couple of the white rappers who started getting big in the 90s, pre-Shady era is that a lot of them seem like they might have autism, Shady and R.A. both have developmental issues, in Eminem's case it's due to oxygen deprivation and DeAngelo Bailey.

Further, when I look in the pictures of underground east coast and upper midwest groups/crews regardless of ethnic background I see a lot of aspie eyes.

I really like that song. When I first saw him I thought it was going to be something like Lil Xan because of the face tattoos, but it was so much better and more adult to me. Then all of a sudden the facial tattoos were gone.

icon_ninja.gif

Have you heard “Nadine” by Chuck Berry. Some of the lyrics are absolutely brilliant. Like “She moves around like a wayward summer breeze”. It’s almost rap the way he sings it

icon_ninja.gif

I have a pet theory that the single biggest reason people got the idea for rap was the country song “Convoy” The CB talk once you get about 30 seconds into the song is basically rap, and this was a popular song in 1975...it actually hit #1 on the pop charts.

I have a pet theory that the single biggest reason people got the idea for rap was the country song “Convoy” The CB talk once you get about 30 seconds into the song is basically rap, and this was a popular song in 1975...it actually hit #1 on the pop charts.

I'm gonna nope that.

Look into the Harlem Renaissance and the beat generation (and their forebears) for the poetry's style to be established, look to soul and funk records with spoken parts for the delivery. Rapping in the context of hip-hop had already emerged by then. Look up Gil Scott-Heron, he had stuff that's much more directly a precursor to hip-hop in the late '60s. He's the biggest one of many, for what it's worth.

That's not to suggest that the elements that make hip-hop haven't been shown up in other genres. Specifically patter songs and other similar traditions in both opera and folk music, but with that said, there's elements that make rapping in hip-hop unique and that stuff often gets overlooked. Dense rhymes are fun, but wordplay and punchlines and setups are mostly what gets attention in battles.

I'm not suggesting English/American/Scottish/Irish/etc traditions weren't also influences just that most of the influences are missing the two crucial pieces, that tendency towards setups and punchlines and the cadence (although, that cadence is seeming to become less common as crooners take over, i don't mean people who literally croon but instead people who use a softer delivery that doesn't incorporate the cadence typical of golden era hip-hop.

Last edited:
The last popular country rap song until recently and the first popular black rap song both came out in 1979. It’s almost like although this talking over music had been a staple in country music for 50 years, the second blacks started doing it, whites stopped doing it.

Or I guess that these are supposed to be completely different kinds of music, but they seem very similar to me

New Threads

Top Bottom