• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your dream house?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Imagine one day you inherit $100 billion dollars tax free. You can build any house you want for yourself. What would you have in it?

For me, it would include an IMAX screen in my man cave to play video games and movies on, as well as speakers to shake the heavens.

And a gym with my own hot personal trainer to stop by five days a week.

And lodging for my personal limo driver and butlers.

What would your dream home be like?

Nothing fancy, just a modest little place like this one ;)

kew.jpg

kew2.jpg

kew3.jpg

:D It's the Temperate House in Kew Royal Botanic Gardens. The largest surviving Victorian glasshouse in the world. 52 000 square feet. Cozy. Cleaning the windows and vacuuming could be a problem though.

Nothing fancy, just a modest little place like this one ;)

iu

iu

iu

:D It's the Temperate House in Kew Royal Botanic Gardens. The largest surviving Victorian glasshouse in the world. 52 000 square feet. Cozy. Cleaning the windows and vacuuming could be a problem though.
With $100 billion tax free, you can hire a trustworthy crew to clean the windows and vacuum for you. :)

I would buy 5-6 acres, and build an ergonomic and passive solar house on the south facing side of a hill. My garden would be on that hill (south facing because north hemisphere - opposite if you are south hemisphere - due to tilt of earth axis).
So the house itself would have a full transparent side on the south, with a stone wall as a passage. The wall would store heat and radiate it through the evening and night.
The kitchen and media rooms would be on the first floor, the second floor would be a mezzanine with offices and bedrooms. Smaller footprint for using the land responsibly, with two floors. And the center hollow would have a skylight to allow in the light. With the money, I'd get an electronic shutter. But that's not urgent.
So, yes the garden would be on the south hill. On the north hill would be the graduated food farm. North facing is better so the smaller ones up towards the house will not overshadow the medium behind that, nor the large behind them. Behind that is wild.
There will be a water feature. Preferably a nice stream with a height differential, so I can run a microhydro power generator. This is a small water-fan which converts its motion to DC energy and stores it in an electrical battery. The only real drawback is filtering and unclogging regularly.
Regardless, there will be fish ponds, and frog ponds, and hydrocultures. Water plants and shore plants, and lilies, and lotuses. Seeded with fish for the ecoculture. And I'd swim too. It'd be clean.
A managed wetland for non-toxic water waste (dishes and showers and whatnot). A multi-stage filtration system using nothing but finer and finer stones (down to fine sand) and then down into a stream which has plant life which naturally filters toxins. At the end, it would go into irrigation or to maintain a water feature.
Naturally safety is number one with the above. Blackwater (like toilet water) is poison and would need to be dealt with differently.
Hmm... I guess that's long enough for starts. I don't need that much money, either.
just designing the kitchen will be a longer post than this.

I feel for $100 billion, I could easily build a house that's either an exact replica of the Château de Versailles or at the very least very much looks like it came out of that time period and place externally but inside is full of 18th century flair, 1980s stuff and technology, and modern tech and conveniences too.

I feel for $100 billion, I could easily build a house that's either an exact replica of the Château de Versailles or at the very least very much looks like it came out of that time period and place externally but inside is full of 18th century flair, 1980s stuff and technology, and modern tech and conveniences too.
that is really cool :)

Well, I won't need anywhere near that sort of money to build my dream home. In the design process, right now, in fact. Off-the-grid. Solar, wind, geothermal, passive solar. Ultra efficient. Modern design. Attached food greenhouse. Attached conservatory for tropical plants, orchids, and fish. Large garage and workshop. Actual living area is about 1700 sq ft.

I want to keep things lean, simple, and efficient. The less power consumption, the better. Let the Earth and the Sun give me the water and power. No dependency upon gas, water, and electricity suppliers. Self-sufficient. This will be our last home. Designed for living there until we die, handicapped accessible design. The latest technology. Automated and easily maintained. On the other hand, I did have the conservatory as an oasis for my wife and I, a custom touch that very few homes have.

I'll take that billion dollars, though. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.;)

I would like a very small house, with a small living room, just enough room for a desk with a laptop; a small kitchen with basic amenities, a small bedroom with a small closet, with nothing but a bed otherwise; a small bathroom with a small, square-shaped shower. I want the exterior of the house to appear block-like, almost like it was made out of fancy legos. I want the body of the house one, light shade, and the roof a different, darker shade, but not sure what colors specifically. I'd like it to have room for a small driveway, large enough for one car.

A 600 square foot house on about 50-100 acres on the central California coast (Paso Robles-Nipomo).
A 2000 sq ft barn, and 4000 sq ft workshop...........
Probably would "only" need 7-15 $million for it......

I would like a very small house, with a small living room, just enough room for a desk with a laptop; a small kitchen with basic amenities, a small bedroom with a small closet, with nothing but a bed otherwise; a small bathroom with a small, square-shaped shower. I want the exterior of the house to appear block-like, almost like it was made out of fancy legos. I want the body of the house one, light shade, and the roof a different, darker shade, but not sure what colors specifically. I'd like it to have room for a small driveway, large enough for one car.
I am happy to see you, @Fino.

The home which we share together, is, for the most part, our dream home. It is ours and we can be ourselves and safe and comfortable.

Yes, it has issues which we inherited--the folks who lived here prior only 'fixed it up' to sell it. There's roof leaks, mold issues; improper insulation and some other things. The driveway is flawed and too long. We get too many bugs in the summer.

...but it is ours. If we ever had to (or could afford to) remodel and remake, we'd have the same design, the same number and layout of rooms (perhaps a spiral staircase...). Ideally, our home would be free of flaws, and we'd have a lounging room, a gaming/reading room. Maybe we'd both have separate studios. I just want my study back. :/

Four acres somewhere quiet and build me a huge barn which will be my creative space. I want somewhere that I can build what I want without having to work around other family members' detritus.

Orthanc is dank
And the Shire is rank
I cross-pollinate orc-style
'Cause I'm makin' bank
You know the robe is white
But my heart is black
I never hesitate to lay a wizard on his back

Check me out on Zillow.

How Did Saruman Get So Evil in 'Lord of the Rings'? He Helps Gandalf in  'The Hobbit'!

I'd buy land in the woods with a few acres and build myself a cabin, some housing for animals, and other things for homesteading, and then never have to interact with anyone again :relaxed: (outside of going to doctors and other stuff but-)!

New Threads

Top Bottom