• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is Unspecified Intellectual Disability?

Oz67

When I got older, I looked through my very old and outdated document that is mostly written in Hebrew, and at the bottom of the page, they wrote in English that they suspected that I have PDD-NOS and Mental Retardation Unspecified.

I know that I have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I don't know if I have a diagnosis of Mental Retardation Unspecified.

What is Mental Retardation Unspecified?

Updated question, what is Unspecified Intellectual Disability?

I really don't like the word "Unspecified", because it doesn't really explain what is wrong with me.

Updated question, what is Unspecified Intellectual Disability?

I really don't like the word "Unspecified", because it doesn't really explain what is wrong with me.

Despite being an official term of the ICD-10 (code F79), it appears whatever particulars that are involved would have to be answered by your physician or your medical records given how broad it is. A rather long list of potential conditions.

https://healthprovidersdata.com/hipaa/codes/ICD10-f79

Israel uses DSM though.

You might consider this Newfoundland Canada source that apparently uses the DSM-V as well, though their description is even more ambiguous.

"Unspecified Intellectual Disability: Reserved for individuals >5 years of age, whose intellectual functioning cannot be assessed due to sensory or physical impairments, or severe problems behavior or co-occurring mental disorder."

As I said, you probably need to touch base with your physician or to obtain your own medical records to shine some light on the details of what "unspecified" means in your particular case. Seems unfortunate- even creepy for any medical establishment to rely on such terms that really say very little.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/education/files/k12_studentsupportservices_prolearn_pdf_pl_guidance_psych.pdf

Last edited:
You might consider this Newfoundland Canada source that apparently uses the DSM-V as well, though their description is even more ambiguous.

"Unspecified Intellectual Disability: Reserved for individuals >5 years of age, whose intellectual functioning cannot be assessed due to sensory or physical impairments, or severe problems behavior or co-occurring mental disorder."

As I said, you probably need to touch base with your physician or to obtain your own medical records to shine some light on the details of what "unspecified" means in your particular case. Seems unfortunate- even creepy for any medical establishment to rely on such terms that really say very little.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/education/files/k12_studentsupportservices_prolearn_pdf_pl_guidance_psych.pdf

I meant to agree with you, but pressed the wrong button. I am sorry!

Thank you!

I agree with Judge.
PDD-NOS is a pervasive developmental delay (not otherwise specified?) I don't get what "not otherwise specified" means either.

I am diagnosed with clinical depression but was previously diagnosed with "Mood Disorder NOS." When I started working with a different (more professional imo) psychiatrist, he changed the diagnosis to depression after a neuropsych evaluation. He also diagnosed me with PTSD and it has since been revised to Complex PTSD.

Definitely ask your medical provider for more detail.

@Oren Franz, if you were very young at the time of your original assesment, they may have chosen to add unpecified intellectual disability (retardation) to your assessment to ensure that you would continue to recieve proper help as your needs became clearer.

For example, I was not diagnosed with autisim when I was young (wasn't a thing then) but my I.Q was sufficiently high enough that my learning disabilities were overlooked. But if my autisim had been diagnosed I would have recieved help despite my I.Q.

Does that help?

@Oren Franz, if you were very young at the time of your original assesment, they may have chosen to add unpecified intellectual disability (retardation) to your assessment to ensure that you would continue to recieve proper help as your needs became clearer.

For example, I was not diagnosed with autisim when I was young (wasn't a thing then) but my I.Q was sufficiently high enough that my learning disabilities were overlooked. But if my autisim had been diagnosed I would have recieved help despite my I.Q.

Does that help?

That actually makes sense. The most confusing part is that I became a little bit more intelligent as I got older, and as a young adult, I found out that I have some milder symptoms of Intellectual Disability, besides IQ. My IQ used to beow for my age, but it became higher.

I have severe problems with learning from experience, academics, problem solving, and milder problems with adaptive functioning.

I did have severe communication delays in the past. One thing I learned about myself is that I used to have severe behavior problems and history of mania with delusions that I had, that is why in my reports they stated that I have symptoms of Unspecified Intellectual Disability.

I agree with Judge.
PDD-NOS is a pervasive developmental delay (not otherwise specified?) I don't get what "not otherwise specified" means either.

I am diagnosed with clinical depression but was previously diagnosed with "Mood Disorder NOS." When I started working with a different (more professional imo) psychiatrist, he changed the diagnosis to depression after a neuropsych evaluation. He also diagnosed me with PTSD and it has since been revised to Complex PTSD.

Definitely ask your medical provider for more detail.
I have pddnos, but i just identify with asd1, aspergers or hfa for practicality.

I can ask my psychiatrist to test me again for Intellectual Disability, that document is very old and outdated, it was done in 2003.

I was in grade school my mother was told I was mentally retarded, a year later gifted. She was very confused, did not bother me in any way, I knew who I was, I would not read to much in what others think. Just accept yourself.

I was in grade school my mother was told I was mentally retarded, a year later gifted. She was very confused, did not bother me in any way, I knew who I was, I would not read to much in what others think. Just accept yourself.

It makes sense, it's just that I have feelings of betrayal, irritability, suicidal ideations, and homicidal ideations after being made fun of and called "Stupid" and "Idiot" and a "Loser" for lacking social skills and difficulty with learning, it was in elementary school.

It's kind of hard to accept who I am after that.

Last edited:
None of these labels existed when I was much younger, do not let them define you. Slippery slope,
My youngest son was labelled. Lost his self confidence I gave him one of those cheap computerized IQ he tested over 130. Wow did that change his self confidence, almost instantly, I never had any doubt. Put a plan together, as I had lost confidence in the public school system.
We could not afford private school. Found a tutoring system called Kumon. All I asked of him was to stick it out His classmates were much younger than him after a year we asked his school to retest him in math and language He scored well over 90% in both that after noon he was enrolled in a Academic high school, they were astonished at how they could of made such a mistake.
Being a quality engineer I did not surprise me

Russel Peter's the comedian went to the same school great track record. Peter's got a honorary Degree from Humber College. My son graduated from the same College with a three with year degree in electromechanical technology-robotics
his fiance has a Doctorate in education.
What you tell yourself can do more damage than what others say.

Last edited:
None of these labels existed when I was much younger, do not let them define you. Slippery slope,
My youngest son was labelled. Lost his self confidence I gave him one of those cheap computerized IQ he tested over 130. Wow did that change his self confidence, almost instantly, I never had any doubt. Put a plan together, as I had lost confidence in the public school system.
We could not afford private school. Found a tutoring system called Kumon. All I asked of him was to stick it out His classmates were much younger than him after a year we asked his school to retest him in math and language He scored well over 90% in both that after noon he was enrolled in a Academic high school, they were astonished at how they could of made such a mistake.
Being a quality engineer I did not suprise me

Russel Peter's the comedian went to the same school great track record.

I do have severe problems with learning from experience, academics, problem solving and milder problems with adaptive functioning. But, I can make logical arguments.

I don't lack intelligence in such a way that toxic people from my past life think of me, I feel betryed.

I did have severe communication delays in the past.

based on what I have read from you so far, you are not intellectually disabled.

It's a bit confusing, because I have severe problems with learning from experience, academics, problem solving and milder problems with adaptive functioning.

Me typing in paragraphs with correct spelling and grammar has nothing to do with intelligence, I use my phone or computer to help me with that.

If I used only a paper and a pencil, I would make some grammar and spelling mistakes. I can make intellectual arguments.

New Threads

Top Bottom