• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the meaning in your life?

No that makes sense Krisi. Just not in the right context until you explained it. So how many of those goals end up going unreached? And do you ever get consumed with any frustration or depression when you can't meet them? Also plz. check your pm's.
/sean/

Well, let's see, it's been about 3-4 months since I wrote those goals, so enough time has elapsed for a progress review. Again, the syntax will be fairly clinical, and the actual "update" will be italicized. Since these are "life goals", the goal is not to "meet" them, but to reach and maintain them. Therefore, it's not a situation of met/unmet. It's a situation of progress and maintenence. Also, note that all "progress" is from the time that the goals were written.

Long term objective: Krisi will demonstrate the above values and behaviors across all situations as shown by genuine appreciation of people in her life, kind treatment of people and nonpersons (animals, plants, living spaces, etc), positive verbal expressions, and genuine attempts at empathy when dealing with others.
Overall, krisi is progressing toward this goal.She has demonstrated increased and more consistent respect, appreciation, and empathy across varried situations, although not in 100% of all opportunities. Krisi has made significant gains in personal relationships and care for others and environment. Krisi has also made gains in perspective-taking and empathy, but continued progress is still necessary for this goal to be met. Krisi is progressing at the expected rate towards furthering her education in order to provide high quality speech and language therapy for children and adults in need of such services.

Short term objectives:

1. Krisi will show respect for her friends and family, as demonstrated by honesty,loyalty, and kindness in relationships with them.
Krisi has met this goal. She demonstrates strong loyalty to those she loves, taking time to make each feel special. She has acted with empathy when dealing with difficult situations, particularly with her younger sisters. Further monitoring of this skill is necessary to determine maintenence.
2. Krisi will show care for nonpersons, as demonstrated by a conscious effort to recycle, minimize waste, keep her home clean, show respect for wildlife, and give affection and care for domesticated animals, both those in her care and those in others' care, during 100% of all opportunities.
Krisi has partially met this goal. She has increased her conscientiousness in recycling and keeping her home maintained, and has progressed from approximately 60% of opportunities to 80% of opportunities in this area. She provides care and affection for all domesticated animals she comes in contact with, as appropriate, and demonstrates respect for wildlife across all opportunities, per self-report and judgment.
3. Krisi will acquire her licensure to become a speech-language pathologist, such that she may help children and adults who struggle with any/all aspects of language to communicate effectively and overall improve their quality of life while also providing for herself and those within her care.
Krisi is progressing toward this goal. She has maintained approximately a 3.81 grade point average on a 4.00 point scale, allotted appropriate time and effort to test-taking, and provided appropriate treatment for the clients on her caseload. Krisi still needs to register to take the Praxis test and complete 2 more semesters of practicum before this goal can be met.
4. Krisi will show respect to those who she does not consider friends by maintaining positive verbal interactions, self-cuing to consider why they might be acting the way they are (even if Krisi is incorrect in her considerations), and attempt unconditional positive regard across all situations.
Krisi is progressing toward this goal. One particular strength she has shown is maintaining positive verbal interactions across approximately 95% of opportunities. Krisi occasionally struggles to consider others' motives for their actions, particularly when others' actions make her upset; however, krisi has demonstrated an increase in the instances of perspective-taking from approximately 50% to the 60% level. Krisi has been able to show unconditional positive regard to others in approximately 90% of opportunities

Well, let's see, it's been about 3-4 months since I wrote those goals, so enough time has elapsed for a progress review. Again, the syntax will be fairly clinical, and the actual "update" will be italicized. Since these are "life goals", the goal is not to "meet" them, but to reach and maintain them. Therefore, it's not a situation of met/unmet. It's a situation of progress and maintenence. Also, note that all "progress" is from the time that the goals were written.

Long term objective: Krisi will demonstrate the above values and behaviors across all situations as shown by genuine appreciation of people in her life, kind treatment of people and nonpersons (animals, plants, living spaces, etc), positive verbal expressions, and genuine attempts at empathy when dealing with others.
Overall, krisi is progressing toward this goal.She has demonstrated increased and more consistent respect, appreciation, and empathy across varried situations, although not in 100% of all opportunities. Krisi has made significant gains in personal relationships and care for others and environment. Krisi has also made gains in perspective-taking and empathy, but continued progress is still necessary for this goal to be met. Krisi is progressing at the expected rate towards furthering her education in order to provide high quality speech and language therapy for children and adults in need of such services.

Short term objectives:

1. Krisi will show respect for her friends and family, as demonstrated by honesty,loyalty, and kindness in relationships with them.
Krisi has met this goal. She demonstrates strong loyalty to those she loves, taking time to make each feel special. She has acted with empathy when dealing with difficult situations, particularly with her younger sisters. Further monitoring of this skill is necessary to determine maintenence.
2. Krisi will show care for nonpersons, as demonstrated by a conscious effort to recycle, minimize waste, keep her home clean, show respect for wildlife, and give affection and care for domesticated animals, both those in her care and those in others' care, during 100% of all opportunities.
Krisi has partially met this goal. She has increased her conscientiousness in recycling and keeping her home maintained, and has progressed from approximately 60% of opportunities to 80% of opportunities in this area. She provides care and affection for all domesticated animals she comes in contact with, as appropriate, and demonstrates respect for wildlife across all opportunities, per self-report and judgment.
3. Krisi will acquire her licensure to become a speech-language pathologist, such that she may help children and adults who struggle with any/all aspects of language to communicate effectively and overall improve their quality of life while also providing for herself and those within her care.
Krisi is progressing toward this goal. She has maintained approximately a 3.81 grade point average on a 4.00 point scale, allotted appropriate time and effort to test-taking, and provided appropriate treatment for the clients on her caseload. Krisi still needs to register to take the Praxis test and complete 2 more semesters of practicum before this goal can be met.
4. Krisi will show respect to those who she does not consider friends by maintaining positive verbal interactions, self-cuing to consider why they might be acting the way they are (even if Krisi is incorrect in her considerations), and attempt unconditional positive regard across all situations.
Krisi is progressing toward this goal. One particular strength she has shown is maintaining positive verbal interactions across approximately 95% of opportunities. Krisi occasionally struggles to consider others' motives for their actions, particularly when others' actions make her upset; however, krisi has demonstrated an increase in the instances of perspective-taking from approximately 50% to the 60% level. Krisi has been able to show unconditional positive regard to others in approximately 90% of opportunities

Krisi,

I never really got what your profession/career was. You said clinican but could you be more specific what you do and how that ties in with all your goals. I couldn't estimate my progress as well as you have done on your own so I assume you must very good at what you do. I would think the percentages would be very subjective right? Also, if you're too busy to write back on pm's that's fine. But I'm wondering if your experience in your career might help others on this board...

ttyl.

-sean-

Krisi,

I never really got what your profession/career was. You said clinican but could you be more specific what you do and how that ties in with all your goals. I couldn't estimate my progress as well as you have done on your own so I assume you must very good at what you do. I would think the percentages would be very subjective right? Also, if you're too busy to write back on pm's that's fine. But I'm wondering if your experience in your career might help others on this board...

ttyl.

-sean-

Oh--Right now I am not yet gainfully employed. I'm a graduate student (post undergrad...um...not sure how the degree would translate for those of you outside the US. Essentially post-university degree....I just finished my undergraduate work (Uni in the UK), and went directly into my graduate work, because you need a master's degree to practice in the field of Speech Language Pathology. As stated in my goals, I am working towards becoming a Speech-Language Pathologist--in layman's terms, a Speech Therapist, although what I do deals much more with language (sentence structure, vocabulary, morphology, phonology, pragmatics) than speech (sound production), although it does definitely deal with the latter. Also, I have a voice client right now--she's 10 and has vocal nodules(essentially callouses on the vocal folds). She's super fun to work with.

In my progress, my percentages are most definitely subjective. I have not been taking objective data like I would for one of my clients. The numbers are based solely off of my memory--How many opportunities do I remember not meeting my critereon? 1-2? 9-10? With clients, I track progress each session.

Speech language pathologists do indeed work with people with Asperger syndrome. I will indeed have the training to help people on this board. However, at the moment, I do not have a license, and it would be unethical to treat without a license. Also, my code of ethics states that I cannot provide services that are entirely remote (no face-to-face contact). Most importantly, I do not want to put myself above anyone on this board. I would rather have relationships here with others as peers, rather than clinician and client, as much as I enjoy working with my clients.

Does that answer your question?

Oh--Right now I am not yet gainfully employed. I'm a graduate student (post undergrad...um...not sure how the degree would translate for those of you outside the US. Essentially post-university degree....I just finished my undergraduate work (Uni in the UK), and went directly into my graduate work, because you need a master's degree to practice in the field of Speech Language Pathology. As stated in my goals, I am working towards becoming a Speech-Language Pathologist--in layman's terms, a Speech Therapist, although what I do deals much more with language (sentence structure, vocabulary, morphology, phonology, pragmatics) than speech (sound production), although it does definitely deal with the latter. Also, I have a voice client right now--she's 10 and has vocal nodules(essentially callouses on the vocal folds). She's super fun to work with.

In my progress, my percentages are most definitely subjective. I have not been taking objective data like I would for one of my clients. The numbers are based solely off of my memory--How many opportunities do I remember not meeting my critereon? 1-2? 9-10? With clients, I track progress each session.

Speech language pathologists do indeed work with people with Asperger syndrome. I will indeed have the training to help people on this board. However, at the moment, I do not have a license, and it would be unethical to treat without a license. Also, my code of ethics states that I cannot provide services that are entirely remote (no face-to-face contact). Most importantly, I do not want to put myself above anyone on this board. I would rather have relationships here with others as peers, rather than clinician and client, as much as I enjoy working with my clients.

Does that answer your question?

Hi Krisi,

Yes you answered my questions, and then some. I can see from all you wrote how passionate you are about helping others and learning in the process. It's refreshing to see such eloquence actually. As well as modesty.

Oh I wouldn't see you talking to someone as 'providing services' just a more educated and experienced input into everything :)

p.s. I sent you another pm.

-sean-

well i did Finnish high school.. and i plan on going back to school for ether photography,web design or computer programing.
i'm am a good person just top sit and listen when someone wants to talk about how they feel however i am really bad at advice.
I was in therapy when i was a teen ... and now they are wanting me to go back so i can learn how to deal with aspergers. when it comes to that i do not like group therapy I like my one on one.
my next goal is to get on the right medication since they miss diagnosed me .

To live life fully and with a passion.
So I will have no regrets and may face death with ease.

To make a living doing it.
So I may provide a good life to those whom I love most...my family.

To help others on the widest possible scale.
So I may live life with honor.

I am an Atheist ("A" meaning not) - this has nothing to do with theology. It is pragmatism - very practical. It is an exercise in the plotting and prioritization of goals and the objectives to achieve those goals. Life is what you make of it, part of which is securing a job in a profession that will provide means for you to live life and provide for your offspring.

The idea here is simplicity, not complexity. Define what you value most in life and from there lay out the most efficient way to achieve that goal...all realistic...all practical. Life becomes complicated when, because a lack of planning, you must dance to someone else's tune. Concentrate on your strengths and passions. Work towards your goal. This was designed to make you think that which you are most passionate about. The rest would be up to the individual as to how to best pursue that passion...that is all. Again...Nothing spiritual...all practical.

Don't let anyone tell you differently. Life takes on the meaning that you work toward. The danger lies in the under analyzation of life...not in the analyzation of it.

I speak to my 2E son in this manner to help mold his outlook in life...so I may guide him to happiness in life.
Living being alive but not killing

Artistic expression I guess is the short answer ;) Through music, writing novels and poems, and painting. Firstly it satisfies me, keeps me on an even keel, and, on rare occasions, it satisfies others. It's the only way I can "communicate" fluently.
I agree with you! I very much express the same way; music is my go-to method, though it used to be poetry when I was younger.

My meaning in life is to be involved in music which I love--first and foremost, music has been my interest and passion for many years. I'm not a great performer or composer or anything, but...it definitely gives my life a purpose.

Mine is experential at best; to float along and better myself in everything I do...to never strive for complacency and to remain open-minded.

In a cosmic sense ? That's easy. Not to make the same mistakes I already made in this reincarnation.

To me that's at the heart of why so many souls opt to reincarnate. To enhance their spiritual enlightenment. Something that doesn't happen if everything you do in this life is going the right way.

With the most important element of this equation being that you fully understand and can admit to yourself how you screwed up.

Right from when I first heard about The Bomb, and that my generation would have to figure out how to change the history of war, I abandoned any expectation of a "normal" life. Seeing other trends, I decided it would not be fair to have children until I could support them without cutting into their natural inheritance of oil, etc. I wanted to be part of a revolution in technology to make life pleasant, fair, and sustainable.
I had technical success, but hit the wall of economics - the economy runs on waste and dependency, and I was promoting efficiency and self-sufficiency. Now, I'm hoping to draw people's attention to the problems caused by us being evolved for life in small groups without wealth or technology, with instincts that no longer serve us well.

New Threads

Top Bottom