• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the meaning in your life?

Shiroi Tora

To live life fully and with a passion.
So I will have no regrets and may face death with ease.

To make a living doing it.
So I may provide a good life to those whom I love most...my family.

To help others on the widest possible scale.
So I may live life with honor.

I am an Atheist ("A" meaning not) - this has nothing to do with theology. It is pragmatism - very practical. It is an exercise in the plotting and prioritization of goals and the objectives to achieve those goals. Life is what you make of it, part of which is securing a job in a profession that will provide means for you to live life and provide for your offspring.

The idea here is simplicity, not complexity. Define what you value most in life and from there lay out the most efficient way to achieve that goal...all realistic...all practical. Life becomes complicated when, because a lack of planning, you must dance to someone else's tune. Concentrate on your strengths and passions. Work towards your goal. This was designed to make you think that which you are most passionate about. The rest would be up to the individual as to how to best pursue that passion...that is all. Again...Nothing spiritual...all practical.

Don't let anyone tell you differently. Life takes on the meaning that you work toward. The danger lies in the under analyzation of life...not in the analyzation of it.

I speak to my 2E son in this manner to help mold his outlook in life...so I may guide him to happiness in life.

My response won't be quite so poetic (that introduction was beautiful), but here goes. I think in a fairly clinical manner, so my goals will reflect the goals I write on a regular basis.

The main purpose of my life is to love. To love others, to love life, to love the world around me. Love is an interesting word; everyone defines it differently, so the word itself actually has little meaning. To reduce this meaninglessness, I will do my best to define what "love" means to me(though it cannot ever completely be done); put most simply, to love is to care for and to positively affect others, to persevere and forgive when I feel like I've had enough, and to give more when I feel like giving up on someone or something.

Long term objective: Krisi will demonstrate the above values and behaviors across all situations as shown by genuine appreciation of people in her life, kind treatment of people and nonpersons (animals, plants, living spaces, etc), positive verbal expressions, and genuine attempts at empathy when dealing with others.
Short term objectives:
1. Krisi will show respect for her friends and family, as demonstrated by honesty,loyalty, and kindness in relationships with them.
2. Krisi will show care for nonpersons, as demonstrated by a conscious effort to recycle, minimize waste, keep her home clean, show respect for wildlife, and give affection and care for domesticated animals, both those in her care and those in others' care, during 100% of all opportunities.
3. Krisi will acquire her licensure to become a speech-language pathologist, such that she may help children and adults who struggle with any/all aspects of language to communicate effectively and overall improve their quality of life while also providing for herself and those within her care.
4. Krisi will show respect to those who she does not consider friends by maintaining positive verbal interactions, self-cuing to consider why they might be acting the way they are (even if Krisi is incorrect in her considerations), and attempt unconditional positive regard across all situations.

Hmm...I know I could go on, because the question generates endless responses.

I do have a question for you, though. You said...
I speak to my 2E son in this manner to help mold his outlook in life...so I may guide him to happiness in life.

What do you mean by 2E?

Artistic expression I guess is the short answer ;) Through music, writing novels and poems, and painting. Firstly it satisfies me, keeps me on an even keel, and, on rare occasions, it satisfies others. It's the only way I can "communicate" fluently.

Perhaps there is no meaning. There doesn't have to be. Humans are a strange creature, we look for meaning in things rather than simply looking for answers. A computer is a rational implement, it doesnt look for meaning, it just processes information. In that way I'm more like a computer than a human.

What is important to me is more to the point. Being happy is important. My kids are super important. Being someone who is respected, someone that people can look to for support and comfort is important. Leaving the world a better place for my having existed is important.

Artistic expression I guess is the short answer ;) Through music, writing novels and poems, and painting. Firstly it satisfies me, keeps me on an even keel, and, on rare occasions, it satisfies others. It's the only way I can "communicate" fluently.

Creativity (in its many forms) is one of the most valuable traits to have, and one that can assist communication when all else fails. :)

Perhaps there is no meaning. There doesn't have to be. Humans are a strange creature, we look for meaning in things rather than simply looking for answers. A computer is a rational implement, it doesnt look for meaning, it just processes information. In that way I'm more like a computer than a human.

What is important to me is more to the point. Being happy is important. My kids are super important. Being someone who is respected, someone that people can look to for support and comfort is important. Leaving the world a better place for my having existed is important.

According to Dr. Sheikh, professor of psychology (he teaches a class on the psychology of happiness at the university where I did my undergrad work), if you ask someone what they want to do with their life, whether their answer is very specific or very general (as long as you get around any "I don't know" responses) then ask them why they want to do it, and keep asking "why", eventually, they will say "to be happy", or "because it makes me happy". If you keep going further asking "why", eventually, you will probably get to the answer "to make others happy". The "others" might be specific or general, as in, they might simply say "to make others happy", or they might say "to make my wife happy", "to make my paretns happy," or "to make my kids happy".

It would irritate me if someone kept asking me "why?" on that question. I think after about the 4th or 5th time, I'd just say "why not?"

As far as the point of my life... I don't know? I don't consider myself special, I am not better than anyone, so therefore, the point of my life is the same as most everyone elses: to do the best I can while I am here, and hope that I did enough in life to be remembered after death. And if I am not remembered... its not like I'll care, lol. My goals have always been rather modest and simplistic. I would be totally fine if I only get as far in life as having some little condo somewhere, with a small yard and hi-speed internet, and be able to pay my utilities and rent and still live somewhat comfortably. If I can accomplish that, I would be pleased with myself. Some may say its setting the bar-low, but I call it setting the bar realistically. However, I would like to attend a computer sciences course sometime in the future.

Dr Sheikh is very smart.

Sarcasm? I might be able to tell in person. With text, it's near impossible.

It would irritate me if someone kept asking me "why?" on that question. I think after about the 4th or 5th time, I'd just say "why not?"

As far as the point of my life... I don't know? I don't consider myself special, I am not better than anyone, so therefore, the point of my life is the same as most everyone elses: to do the best I can while I am here, and hope that I did enough in life to be remembered after death. And if I am not remembered... its not like I'll care, lol. My goals have always been rather modest and simplistic. I would be totally fine if I only get as far in life as having some little condo somewhere, with a small yard and hi-speed internet, and be able to pay my utilities and rent and still live somewhat comfortably. If I can accomplish that, I would be pleased with myself. Some may say its setting the bar-low, but I call it setting the bar realistically. However, I would like to attend a computer sciences course sometime in the future.

Intrapersonal/introspective intelligence is really variable with aspies. Some know themselves inside out while others resist even the thought of self-reflection. I'll admit that I'm not one who's particularly good with putting my intrapersonal thoughts into words. It's common for us on the spectrum to have a marked identifying and communicating their emotions.

However, if you reflect on why you want to do those things, eventually, you will probably arrive at "because it makes me happy"--a step before that that might be easier for you to arrive at would be "because it interests me", however, when someone engages in something that is interesting to them, typically, it makes them happy. Unless of course, they are interested in degenerative diseases. Then all bets are off.

Well, of course... everyone makes choices based on what they think will make them happy. If you push long enough for that answer, you're going to get it eventually. Only so many reasons one can cycle through.

Creativity (in its many forms) is one of the most valuable traits to have, and one that can assist communication when all else fails. :)

Yes, and that includes parenting, to the sublime extent that there's Genius Parenting too. I don't have children yet, nor do I know if I will ever have one. But I can deeply espouse and envision the most spectacular element of Surprise in Dasein, which none of us should reject.

For me, life consists in Creating (a very authentic kind of creativity) at both Atomic and Platonic levels, simultaneously, and deep within the unscalable, noumenal Infinitesimal. The meaning of my life would be such Surjective Existence.

But surely, the most authentic, most elegant, most self-distinguished kind of creativity is not a continuously embodied trait in humans. Perhaps it even only emerges once in a lifetime. So at other times, simply living at the lone level of Knowing and that of deep, often nostalgic moods is quite enough. "Part of Genius is being seated in a chair, pretty much doing nothing. His chair is empty, but Filled."

At times, you throb against the world, not content with it -- and so you seek to create new expressions at the level where you allow yourself to be genuinely unmade, becoming none other than infinitesimal, sub-critical variations at the heart of the cosmos. At times, you see All, All Large Simplicity, here on the Earth. Both states emerge from an Authentic Being. That's the singular denial (refusal) and acceptance (forgiving), and the persistence/subsistence, of Genius.

Authenticity does exist. If Authenticity did not exist, the Universe would not either. It is manifest as the most spontaneous, most rhapsodic, most presential chronometric attribute of Universal Consciousness in a specific kind of human.

Also, there are 'things' instead of 'nothing' simply because the foundational stuff of the Universe is not just a 'mind', let alone computation, in the intellectual-reflective category. It is also a 'soul', in the motional-substantive category. Otherwise, creation (creativity) is not possible at all. (Just reflect deeply on how artists create, and compare it with the mind-state of empirical scientists.) For this reason, I cannot take the idea of Artificial Intelligence, or that of the Universe being a colossal computer, seriously enough.

The Universe exists the way it is not simply because it is made up of opposites, nor because we simply observe it, but really, there are chiefly Five Things that have no substantial dual counterparts ('shadows') at all, and are aloof from any kind of logical induction and relationalism merely involving opposites and parts. They encompass an Authentic Being: Consciousness, Knowledge --> Existence <-- Love, Creativity -- at the profoundest level. If Consciousness and Knowledge are represented by {, while Love and Creativity by }, what can be said of { }, with the existential space in between the { } representing Authentic, Unprecedented Being? If we can fully exist there, the possibilities of Joy/Fulfillment will be unfathomable -- and even the most sorrowful kind of experience, or the simplest kind of movement, will be profoundly self-quelling.

By the way, welcome back Krisi.

You speak of love as a beautifully naked, open hand. Love, when equated with a very conscious kind of passion and longing, is Genius. A consuming, self-total intensity -- the Stubbornness of Will -- which is not just a surrendering, co-moving tiny part of the vast river -- nay the Ocean -- but also the intrinsic flexural geometry and complexity of it all.

Sarcasm? I might be able to tell in person. With text, it's near impossible.
Not sarcasm. Sheikh has cut through all the BS around about the meaning of life, the endless wondering and pontificating that goes on, and got right to the very essence of it.

Evar, I have truly missed reading your posts. I am always challenged to think in ways that I may never have considered. You take my simple words and turn them into poetry, extending my ideas in ways that make me pause to examine new possibilities.

Responding to your posts also brings out the formal, poetic, "flowy" language in me.

My response won't be quite so poetic (that introduction was beautiful), but here goes. I think in a fairly clinical manner, so my goals will reflect the goals I write on a regular basis.

The main purpose of my life is to love. To love others, to love life, to love the world around me. Love is an interesting word; everyone defines it differently, so the word itself actually has little meaning. To reduce this meaninglessness, I will do my best to define what "love" means to me(though it cannot ever completely be done); put most simply, to love is to care for and to positively affect others, to persevere and forgive when I feel like I've had enough, and to give more when I feel like giving up on someone or something.

Long term objective: Krisi will demonstrate the above values and behaviors across all situations as shown by genuine appreciation of people in her life, kind treatment of people and nonpersons (animals, plants, living spaces, etc), positive verbal expressions, and genuine attempts at empathy when dealing with others.
Short term objectives:
1. Krisi will show respect for her friends and family, as demonstrated by honesty,loyalty, and kindness in relationships with them.
2. Krisi will show care for nonpersons, as demonstrated by a conscious effort to recycle, minimize waste, keep her home clean, show respect for wildlife, and give affection and care for domesticated animals, both those in her care and those in others' care, during 100% of all opportunities.
3. Krisi will acquire her licensure to become a speech-language pathologist, such that she may help children and adults who struggle with any/all aspects of language to communicate effectively and overall improve their quality of life while also providing for herself and those within her care.
4. Krisi will show respect to those who she does not consider friends by maintaining positive verbal interactions, self-cuing to consider why they might be acting the way they are (even if Krisi is incorrect in her considerations), and attempt unconditional positive regard across all situations.

Hmm...I know I could go on, because the question generates endless responses.

I do have a question for you, though. You said...

What do you mean by 2E?

I agree on the love part, hell how could anyone not value that above anything else. Well of ocurse many put other things up there higher, but they are misguided :) Anyway, why are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person like that and saying that you "will do this". Don't you know that the more you put demands on yourself in a manner that makes it seem urgent or that there is no other way to do something the more stressed out, anxiety filled, and eventually depressed you get when you don't fulfill those goals or needs.

-sean-

Evar, I have truly missed reading your posts. I am always challenged to think in ways that I may never have considered. You take my simple words and turn them into poetry, extending my ideas in ways that make me pause to examine new possibilities.

Responding to your posts also brings out the formal, poetic, "flowy" language in me.

Do you like to write like I do? It's really not that difficult, well at least not for me :)

I don't know...I'm not about to make up a philosophy either. Right now, 2010, the plan is to get good (excellent) grades and go to a top 10 uni in 2012. This sort of thing should be important to me. Really, I have to summon up the enthusiasm for it. University isn't so important for me (hope there aren't any UCAS investigators lurking here...) but it's a good goal to work for. When I'm finished with that I'll have another goal.

Do you like to write like I do? It's really not that difficult, well at least not for me :)

I like to write, but I'm not good at creative writing. I have a good vocabulary for writing clinical documents, and enough of a vocabulary to express myself (usually)--however, writing words and expressing myself accurately often comes haltingly. When I write, I often put quite a lot of thought into a single word, choosing the right word, so it's often effortful to write responses--sometimes they take me over an hour to write, but those are mostly the longer ones, where I'm trying to express myself accurately and compeletely.

I agree on the love part, hell how could anyone not value that above anything else. Well of ocurse many put other things up there higher, but they are misguided :) Anyway, why are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person like that and saying that you "will do this". Don't you know that the more you put demands on yourself in a manner that makes it seem urgent or that there is no other way to do something the more stressed out, anxiety filled, and eventually depressed you get when you don't fulfill those goals or needs.

-sean-

The reason I wrote that as I did is because that is how you write clinical goals. I find that I often cannot "turn off" my clinican side, and don't really want to. My humor, my discourse, and my personality have been very shaped by my field because it is my passion. When I write goals for my clients, I write like that. Of course, since what I have written here are life goals, the "report" will always be "krisi is progressing toward this goal...." and then an explanation of what progress has been made. Clinical goals must be specific and measurable, and really, a goal is where you want to be. A goal is what you "will do", or "will be able to do". Some goals will be met, some you will always be progressing towards. Does that make sense, or is that just repetitive?

I like to write, but I'm not good at creative writing. I have a good vocabulary for writing clinical documents, and enough of a vocabulary to express myself (usually)--however, writing words and expressing myself accurately often comes haltingly. When I write, I often put quite a lot of thought into a single word, choosing the right word, so it's often effortful to write responses--sometimes they take me over an hour to write, but those are mostly the longer ones, where I'm trying to express myself accurately and compeletely.

The reason I wrote that as I did is because that is how you write clinical goals. I find that I often cannot "turn off" my clinican side, and don't really want to. My humor, my discourse, and my personality have been very shaped by my field because it is my passion. When I write goals for my clients, I write like that. Of course, since what I have written here are life goals, the "report" will always be "krisi is progressing toward this goal...." and then an explanation of what progress has been made. Clinical goals must be specific and measurable, and really, a goal is where you want to be. A goal is what you "will do", or "will be able to do". Some goals will be met, some you will always be progressing towards. Does that make sense, or is that just repetitive?

No that makes sense Krisi. Just not in the right context until you explained it. So how many of those goals end up going unreached? And do you ever get consumed with any frustration or depression when you can't meet them? Also plz. check your pm's.
/sean/

New Threads

Top Bottom