• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is normal, mundane actions to most, is a BIG frightening action for one who suffers agoraphobia and social anxiety

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
A spiritual sister took me shopping today and we went to 4 different shops. She knows my issues, but because she does not live with me, she does not really understand the deeper aspect and thus, thanks to having, at last, my own credit card, I was able to go to the teller and put through my wares and pay for them. I was nervous, but amazingly, I did not feel half as bad as I used to feel. It did feel a bit sureal to be doing things, that I have always been petrified to do and especially, in a different country.

I thank Jehovah for it, because I asked Him to help me cope.

Taking the train can be very anxious provoking. The trains are always on time here, so it’s really not the issue, I just worry about going on the train and going to the destination.

i Used to be worried about shopping but when alone, I wear my headphones and use the self check out. I only had one issue last week when I went to get makeup. They had a 3 for 2 offer, so one item was free. The saleswoman was like “you get a free one”, but I don’t want a free one, and tried to explain that I didn’t want one, and she kept repeating that I could have another Because it was for free. I had to call my Sister over to say that I didn’t want a free one because I felt like it was not needed. it may not make sense, I mean who passes up a free item? But I only wanted 2 and had decided that I wanted 2 only. Then got anxious Then felt really stupid afterwards.

Taking the train can be very anxious provoking. The trains are always on time here, so it’s really not the issue, I just worry about going on the train and going to the destination.

i Used to be worried about shopping but when alone, I wear my headphones and use the self check out. I only had one issue last week when I went to get makeup. They had a 3 for 2 offer, so one item was free. The saleswoman was like “you get a free one”, but I don’t want a free one, and tried to explain that I didn’t want one, and she kept repeating that I could have another Because it was for free. I had to call my Sister over to say that I didn’t want a free one because I felt like it was not needed. it may not make sense, I mean who passes up a free item? But I only wanted 2 and had decided that I wanted 2 only. Then got anxious Then felt really stupid afterwards.
When I lived in my own country, I actually preferred going by train, than buses, because buses to me, required a lot more mental anguish, than trains.

But, having gone to live in a different country, with a different language, truly did me in and my issues have got a ton worse.

Great progress. I get your feeling of accomplishment.

I did two days of errands including a giant bank screw-up and l got thru. It does feel good.

Maybe you have more faith in yourself now. :)

Good going! Nice when you realize that doing something is far smoother than the one hundred and one ways a fearful mind can think of to have it all go wrong. I was so fearful of approaching women that I would nearly get sick. Being that vulnerable was a terrible feeling for me, yet I was able to overcome it.

A spiritual sister took me shopping today and we went to 4 different shops. She knows my issues, but because she does not live with me, she does not really understand the deeper aspect and thus, thanks to having, at last, my own credit card, I was able to go to the teller and put through my wares and pay for them. I was nervous, but amazingly, I did not feel half as bad as I used to feel. It did feel a bit sureal to be doing things, that I have always been petrified to do and especially, in a different country.

I thank Jehovah for it, because I asked Him to help me cope.
I can sympathize with those having agoraphobia. As an anthrophobe, going anywhere there are people is anxiety provoking. Going into crowded places is the worst. Depending on the number of people around me, I vary from anxious to near panic stricken. Like an agoraphobe going outside into the world, it is a necessity. Congratulations on successfully facing your fears.

New Threads

Top Bottom