• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is AutiGender?

Never heard of it before. Google has taught me:
"Autigender is a nonbinary gender where a person’s autism greatly affects how they perceive their gender. "

Not that many "reputable" sources reporting on it though. Anyway, to each their own. I don't feel like my autism affects my gender perception so I'm not the droid you're looking for.

so are they saying Autistic people are 'gender-neutral' or don't know whether they're male or female????

I feel like this is probably made up, as it seems like someone claiming a disability as a gender? I can see how autism could make you question your identity, but not to this point. I've seen so many SJWs going on about the 5000 unknown genders that i just can't take anything seriously anymore. I might be wrong, but i've seen so many people making up genders that it's become ridiculous (A good example being "plantkin" or identifying as a dog, or a bagel)

so are they saying Autistic people are 'gender-neutral' or don't know whether they're male or female????
No, there's a subset of autistic people who identify as non-binary, saying their autism is so crucial to their gender perception that they are not simply non-binary, but instead want to call themselves autigender.

So people are choosing to call themselves autigender.
(I didn't come up with this, I'm just repeating what I read online)

It's usually used by people who are non-binary and they say that being autistic affects their gender. Which I suppose is true, there's a lot of evidence to back that up, however I'm not sure why they can't just say they're non binary.

I think one's autism can affect how they view anything. But I don't believe it determines one's gender automatically.

i think they are sating that your autism is somehow defining your gender. or that your gender is effected by your autism. I wasn't clear on it, that's why I posted.

It's usually used by people who are non-binary and they say that being autistic affects their gender. Which I suppose is true, there's a lot of evidence to back that up, however I'm not sure why they can't just say they're non binary.
I wonder if this relates to the autistic trait of not being overly influenced by outside forces.

I feel like this is probably made up, as it seems like someone claiming a disability as a gender? I can see how autism could make you question your identity, but not to this point. I've seen so many SJWs going on about the 5000 unknown genders that i just can't take anything seriously anymore. I might be wrong, but i've seen so many people making up genders that it's become ridiculous (A good example being "plantkin" or identifying as a dog, or a bagel)
I get the plant thing sort of, but I definitely do not get the canisgender. a species of more than one gender cannot be proclaimed as your gender right?

Sorry, I should have been clearer by what I meant by "references". I meant references of that specific claim - that autism affects gender. I don't know much about psychology research, do you know if peer-reviewed journals with evidence of a causal relationship exist?

ok thanks though I don't understand it because we're either born with male anatomy or female so it's kind of obvious to me which they'd be so I guess its something psychological like body dysmorphia if they believe they're the opposite sex to what they were born or are some new kind of gender they've invented.

I heard of 'gender neutral' saw a program once on telly. The family lived somewhere remote in US or canada and had 3 kids who had all chosen their own gender when they reached an age they could say whether they wanted to be referred to as 'he' or she' the pronouns weren't used until the child had decided! I think some parents take it too far! These kids didn't go to school but for those who do, kids are very cruel as most of us will know from a lifetime of bullying for being seen as different.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom