• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What if?

There is a good book called Misquoting Jesus that may help you answer some of your questions. It pretty much confirmed what I thought about the Bible. It mostly talks about changes that were made (both intentionally and accidentally) as the Bible was transcribed.

I have to remember to order that book. I have heard Bart Ehrman interviewed, and he seems an interesting fella. Apparently the research he did for Misquoting Jesus shook his faith to the point where he now considers himself an agnostic.

As for only believing parts of the Bible: I have never heard of anyone who believes in ALL of it, even those who claim to be strict literalists. In fact, most denominations of Christianity (as far as I can tell) freely admit to believing parts of it as truth, while accepting others as merely allegorical, or as nothing more than a reflection on the cultural values of the times in which they were written. I have not read the entire Bible--I grew up Catholic, and they do not emphasize so much a deep understanding of theology where laypeople are concerned--but I have read enough to realize that there are far too many contradictions to take all of it at face value. Contradictions not just in the stories ("plot lines" to put it in more vulgar terms) but in the messages. In my experience, most people of faith [disclosure: I am an atheist] take different things away from it, depending on how they approach their faith and spirituality.

So I would say the question "what if?" is a non-issue. :cool:

What if I believe only parts of the Bible?

Well, I suppose that's a step in the right direction.

FYI, I believe pretty much none of the Bible. It actually does contain many things that can be compared to historical evidence, and it doesn't match up.

I would think there's nothing right or wrong about believing in parts of the bible, its a personal choice in my opinion. People are allowed to believe whatever, or however much of something they choose to. There's no right or wrong in beliefs.

I don't believe in the bible as a factual document myself but it isn't to me right or wrong to do so, it just is.

What if I believe only parts of the Bible?

Then I would say that you're a wholly (no pun intended) rational and mentally sound person.

The Holy Bible is a lot less like RAW (Rule as Written) mandate from heaven, and could instead be considered a source book of essential beliefs and values, some might even say that these values are the base core of a modern structured society.

I've read the Holy Bible a few times, I could never remember the stories, but I do remember the life lessons that each of those stories taught, and that's exactly what the bible is about, teaching these essential life lessons.

----

This is why the -MacGuffin- in -apocalyptic settings- tends to be the -Bible-. It is the How To book on building a lasting community, setting down the first steps for a mature civilized society.

New Threads

Top Bottom