• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What happens after a GP referral?

Shaun-Junior Bishop

After over a year of going back to the GP, he has finally agreed to refer me properly to the organisation that I asked for but now I cant stop thinking about what's next. Hes put me on medication to try and slow me down because we dont know what's going on in my head right now but I dont stop thinking about it. I keep obsessing from the moment I open my eyes until I go to sleep and its keeping me up at night.

Everything is just getting so hard, I'm getting so much more anxiety than normal and hypersensitivity.

I 2ould just like some help with what happens next. If anyone is in the UK and could just put my mind at ease and explain what happens after you get referred? How long it might take and all the steps forward.

The official time is supposed to be three months !ha ha ,it's actually six months to 2 years, one woman waited 24 years for her son, the oldest man to be diagnosed was 83. I waited five months but I think that's because they thought I could be a threat to myself.
I was 45 when I was diagnosed ,nearly 46 still don't understand it and it's been three years nearly ,if you're in the north-east of England -specifically ! tyne and Wear ,Northumberland you'll see The autism diagnosis team.
The rest of the country is split up into any kind of therapist you can think of. after referral you wait and wait and wait you go for the referral perspire for Britain ,if you could manage to take somebody who knew you as a very very young boy !that can answer questions and you have primary school reports and secondary school reports ,any medical records about your behaviour, they will read , they will ask you endless questions there were so many I can't remember them anymore ,I was in for an hour and a half but apparently that is quick ,your referral could take two or three days over two or three appointments depends on the therapist ,when they've decided they can tell you from minutes afterwards which was me ,too I presume days or weeks afterwards! if you're in a different part of the country .

It really is to bad the wait times for these things. This is something that will affect your life. You should be getting an appointment within weeks and not months.

New Threads

Top Bottom