• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What exactly is DEAD BEEF ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I've seen a log on my PSP that listed some DEAD BEEF in the memory addresses and was wondering if this was where those corrupted data was ? Or is something more malicious ?

I tried to delete a couple of home brew apps but ended up with some corrupted data on my PSP, which I had to format the memory stick again :/

Hexspeak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think posts with links need moderator approval (didn't know) but it's Hexspeak. In case you're not familiar with that: hexadecimal code. DEADBEEF is frequently used to indicate a software crash or deadlock in embedded systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think posts with links need moderator approval (didn't know) but it's Hexspeak. In case you're not familiar with that: hexadecimal code. DEADBEEF is frequently used to indicate a software crash or deadlock in embedded systems.

DEADBEEF is sometimes also used to represent an IPv6 address.

IPv6 is always hexadecimal. But your issues are most likely memory related, as IPv6 is not in use for clients yet. Only some high level company's started using IPv6 as of last year

IPv6 is always hexadecimal. But your issues are most likely memory related, as IPv6 is not in use for clients yet. Only some high level company's started using IPv6 as of last year

I'm curious about why the people behind IPv4 hadn't foreseen the issues with IP address shortage, unless they didn't think the internet was going to explode like it did :/ I take it they started working on this issue back in the early 90's ...

It must be a memory thing as some programmers who make home brew apps don't exercise common sense sometimes and didn't think there would be issues with the user deleting the app and memory corruption :/

They didn't expect internet to grow so big, indeed ;)

And that's a fault that occurs on system level, has nothing to do with your game. Memory management is hard (i can speak from experience :( )

Oops, I clicked on thinking this thread had something to do with food. I will quietly leave now.:oops:

I had the same... even funnier when I actually ended up on AC when I was eating at Burger king.

"well... dead beef is what I'm eating right now... can't be that hard to figure out".

I'm curious about why the people behind IPv4 hadn't foreseen the issues with IP address shortage, unless they didn't think the internet was going to explode like it did :/ I take it they started working on this issue back in the early 90's ...

It must be a memory thing as some programmers who make home brew apps don't exercise common sense sometimes and didn't think there would be issues with the user deleting the app and memory corruption :/
Well IP4 was a 1970's invention when computers were big rare and expensive. And it was built for networking between universities. It wasn't built to end up Everywhere.

DEADBEEF is easy to see when you look at hex. A marker that doesn't look like randomness. So you can initialize a variable or pointer with it and if the value turns up later on, then you know that the variable was never set to a proper value.

DEAD BEEF is a funny joke word in hexadecimal. Like BADFOOD, C0FFEE, OFF1CE and DEFACE

DEAD BEEF is a funny joke word in hexadecimal. Like BADFOOD, C0FFEE, OFF1CE and DEFACE
Funny, most people won't even know all these ^^ I know a few of them, especially 8BADF00D which I've seen all too much. Same goes for 0FF1CE

If you do byte level coding such as assembler it becomes commonplace. Also if you use a debugger you get used to seeing patterns.
My ASD is all about patterns so I guess thats a bonus to me

New Threads

Top Bottom