• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does your computer desk look like?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Here's mine:
IMG_8638.jpeg

This is not exactly the sort of topic I expected to happen twice! :eek:

Last edited:
Cool desk! A sunny window is nice.

I'm not putting mine on here because there are pictures on Instagram under a work account & I am trying to not get outed as autistic. (Wish the ENTIRE Autism Forums were members-only; it would be SO much nicer to actually share things like that.)

But yes, that's a very nice desk with a definite Catholic theme going. I see some Venerable Mary of Agreda books back there (nice bindings too!) and some Scott Hahn. Surprised that the Peter Kreeft isn't front & center. You do read Kreeft, don't you? It's a very pleasant-looking desk.

View attachment 63559

Yes, it is messy. I do not do "organized".
Did you MAKE that computer? That is so cool! One of these days I'm going to have to build something...right now my desk has an old 1920s typewriter on it. Of course it works OK but I also run a niche publishing company & am going to have to build a suitably utilitarian computer. SO neat.

Did you MAKE that computer? That is so cool! One of these days I'm going to have to build something...right now my desk has an old 1920s typewriter on it. Of course it works OK but I also run a niche publishing company & am going to have to build a suitably utilitarian computer. SO neat.

No, it was bought. Absurdly expensive, about $4000, I think it was (not my idea). On the plus side, it is all-powerful.

I could not possibly make one myself. It'd be a hideous disaster.

Odd bit: There's actually a little remote that controls the lights inside it. No, I dont know why. But it can be any color, or flash/strobe/whatever.

Right now it's just set to purple. Though I find myself mildly confused as to exactly where that red glow underneath it is from.

No, it was bought. Absurdly expensive, about $4000, I think it was (not my idea). On the plus side, it is all-powerful.

I could not possibly make one myself. It'd be a hideous disaster.

Odd bit: There's actually a little remote that controls the lights inside it. No, I dont know why. But it can be any color, or flash/strobe/whatever.

Right now it's just set to purple. Though I find myself mildly confused as to exactly where that red glow underneath it is from.

That is still such a neat computer! $4000 is enough to buy a very, very nice secondhand Buick.

Wouldn't be a gamer battlestation without the bottles of that sweet sweet dewy. (I'm a black coffee kind of guy myself; its bitterness matches my personality and its color, my soul.)

I've never used a modern computer...just Windows 7, MacOS whatever was in 2017, Win95, and Windows XP. One of these days I want to try driving something nice, computer-wise.

What games are you playing on that thing? I see one controller at least, a gaming mouse, and a sweet keyboard.

That is still such a neat computer! $4000 is enough to buy a very, very nice secondhand Buick.

Wouldn't be a gamer battlestation without the bottles of that sweet sweet dewy. (I'm a black coffee kind of guy myself; its bitterness matches my personality and its color, my soul.)

I've never used a modern computer...just Windows 7, MacOS whatever was in 2017, Win95, and Windows XP. One of these days I want to try driving something nice, computer-wise.

What games are you playing on that thing? I see one controller at least, a gaming mouse, and a sweet keyboard.

Well, the thing was chosen for it's ability to do this:

Skip to 24:07 if you want to see absolute bloody chaos. Keep in mind that this is full VR. It cannot be conveyed on a 2D screen. When you're in the program... whatever it is... you're really *in* the program. To the point where your mind can start thinking that what is around you is entirely real. There's alot of hilarious vids on Youtube showing people falling into that. My favorite is the girl who tries to sprint through a doorway that does not, in fact, exist. *THUD*! I"ve done things like trying to set the controllers down on non-existent tables, that sort of thing. That's how far in it takes you. SOme of the video is missing sound, because the recording program refused to do that.

I wanted VR like that, and VR is very, very draining for the machine as a whole. You need a real beast of a PC to even do it. And if I was going to get VR, it was going to be *perfect*, capable of ANYTHING. That's why the thing is so hideously expensive. Though, the really funky part is this:

8vpUpqU.jpg

This one program is the true reason I went for VR, and thus that machine, in the first place. I'm a big fan of arcade games (particularly golden-age stuff) and I have roms on this machine. *ALL* the roms. All of them. And when I found THIS, recreating an entire 80s arcade? Where I could choose any games I wanted to fill the arcade? Yeah, that was enough to push me into VR. All of those machines there are fully interactive, and all of them are active and making sounds all at once. Standing in front of one of these and playing them really is just like the real thing. Except for the bit where the controls are attached to your hands, but you quickly get used to that. There's even things like Skee-ball machines and an entire bowling alley in there, because why not. And there's a seperate program that randomizes the arcade, choosing the games from the archive at random and inserting them. If you look in the video there, there's another program shown where I'm sitting in front of a virtual TV and playing Atari games, that's my 2nd most used program (as I'm a big fan of retro consoles too!). It really does look completely real. Blows my mind every time. I tried to record this as part of that video up there, but the recorder refuses to do this one. I dont know why.

Aside from that stuff? I'm a huge fan of indie games of all types. I'm on Steam all the time. Currently I'm obsessing over a game called Demoncrawl. But I play all sorts of things on here. I dont really like AAA games.

As far as modern computers, since you mention that, well... honestly they're a mixed bag, no matter how powerful they are. Older PCs? They just freaking WORK. They do what they're told, promptly and quickly. Modern PCs? Eh, they'll CONSIDER it, maybe they'll do it, maybe they wont. Or maybe they'll advertise at you instead. The one I'm using doesnt really experience problems, but then... it bloody well better not, for that price. My laptop, on the other hand, just IS a problem. Windows is *terrible* nowadays. If you've got those versions of Windows you mention... you're lucky. REALLY lucky. I'd kill to get Windows 7 on here, but Microsoft eradicated it so completely that it's impossible to get. Though frankly, if I had my way, it'd just be DOS all the time. I miss DOS.

As for the mouse, it's actually not a gaming mouse. It's a vertical mouse. I need it. A normal mouse just wrecks my arm very quickly. Vertical mice are designed specifically to deal with that sort of problem. Very nice thing.

Sweet dragon model!
What color are you going to paint it, If you're going to paint it?

My computer desk has two monitors, a keyboard, Mouse pad + mouse, a HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) sometimes my cellphone on a charger, my diner and/or an alcoholic drink.

I did make my computer ~7 years ago, spent ~1.4k USD.
Only game I have problems with is Star Citizen - probably fixed by overclocking, upgrading RAM (16Gb to 32Gb) and Graphics Card, an SSD would help too (currently using a hybrid {64Gb SSD/2 Tb Mag Disks, distributed by use. It was cheap} + plus various mag disk drives salvaged from older machines)

Sweet dragon model!
What color are you going to paint it, If you're going to paint it?

My computer desk has two monitors, a keyboard, Mouse pad + mouse, a HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) sometimes my cellphone on a charger, my diner and/or an alcoholic drink.

I did make my computer ~7 years ago, spent ~1.4k USD.
Only game I have problems with is Star Citizen - probably fixed by overclocking, upgrading RAM (16Gb to 32Gb) and Graphics Card, an SSD would help too (currently using a hybrid {64Gb SSD/2 Tb Mag Disks, distributed by use. It was cheap} + plus various mag disk drives salvaged from older machines)

Would you believe the dragon is actually a piece from a board game? Dark Souls, to be specific (yes, there's a board game version). It's sitting there because it's too darned big to fit in any of the related boxes (the dragon is specifically from an expansion, not the main box). Likely it will remain unpainted as I dont know the first thing about that. But if I were to paint it, I'd be following the original design of the thing from the original games. It's name is Kalameet. If you want to see what the game looks like (and some of the other smaller models) have a look here: Dark Souls

As for the computer bit you mention... dont upgrade it just for Star Citizen. That game is notorious for... not running right. As I understand it, it's just not very well made. To be honest the graphics, maxed out, arent even all that impressive. But it still runs really badly for most users. I've no doubt that even on my machine... which is about as powerful as home computers can get... it'd still be a choppy mess.

My own "battle station," not nearly as snazzy as the modern ones. This typewriter is my favorite from the collection. There are a few others; some work and some don't but this one does. The lamp is one of my favorites. It is from about 1935 and still has original paint, bulb socket, and switch. I use Edison lightbulbs in it.

At present the desk is covered in coffee mugs, end-of-the-semester papers & stuff, and Catholic stuff like a neat statue of St. Jude added recently. Usually there is a mountain of books behind everything and spilling off the sides and a few more fountain pens. Not shown: behind it, a table that used to hold an old-fashioned tube radio & still has an early "Graphophone" record player with a "morning-glory" horn.

I know this is not a computer desk but if I must use a laptop there, I push the typewriter to the side & go for it.

DSC00276.JPG

Last edited:
Cool desk! A sunny window is nice.

I'm not putting mine on here because there are pictures on Instagram under a work account & I am trying to not get outed as autistic. (Wish the ENTIRE Autism Forums were members-only; it would be SO much nicer to actually share things like that.)

But yes, that's a very nice desk with a definite Catholic theme going. I see some Venerable Mary of Agreda books back there (nice bindings too!) and some Scott Hahn. Surprised that the Peter Kreeft isn't front & center. You do read Kreeft, don't you? It's a very pleasant-looking desk.
Yes I do read Peter Kreeft, but a lot of the books you see in the photo I either haven't read in awhile or haven't gotten to yet. I've been wanting to start Ven. Maria of Agreda's Mystical City of God (I often try to go for books with nice bindings by the way) for sometime, but haven't been able to get to it yet because I want to finish another book on the life of Our Lady first.

Keep in mind that this is full VR. It cannot be conveyed on a 2D screen. When you're in the program... whatever it is... you're really *in* the program. To the point where your mind can start thinking that what is around you is entirely real. There's alot of hilarious vids on Youtube showing people falling into that. My favorite is the girl who tries to sprint through a doorway that does not, in fact, exist. *THUD*! I"ve done things like trying to set the controllers down on non-existent tables, that sort of thing. That's how far in it takes you.

Hah! Reminds me false-awakenings, I've actually had dreams of struggling to wake up and crawl our of bed and then wake-up and find to my utter frustration that I'm still end bed and utterly drowsy.

I wanted VR like that, and VR is very, very draining for the machine as a whole. You need a real beast of a PC to even do it. And if I was going to get VR, it was going to be *perfect*, capable of ANYTHING. That's why the thing is so hideously expensive. Though, the really funky part is this:

View attachment 63560

This one program is the true reason I went for VR, and thus that machine, in the first place. I'm a big fan of arcade games (particularly golden-age stuff) and I have roms on this machine. *ALL* the roms. All of them. And when I found THIS, recreating an entire 80s arcade? Where I could choose any games I wanted to fill the arcade? Yeah, that was enough to push me into VR. All of those machines there are fully interactive, and all of them are active and making sounds all at once. Standing in front of one of these and playing them really is just like the real thing. Except for the bit where the controls are attached to your hands, but you quickly get used to that. There's even things like Skee-ball machines and an entire bowling alley in there, because why not. And there's a seperate program that randomizes the arcade, choosing the games from the archive at random and inserting them. If you look in the video there, there's another program shown where I'm sitting in front of a virtual TV and playing Atari games, that's my 2nd most used program (as I'm a big fan of retro consoles too!). It really does look completely real. Blows my mind every time. I tried to record this as part of that video up there, but the recorder refuses to do this one. I dont know why.
Wow! I only know like the bare-basics about Arcade culture and the like and now I'm somewhat tempted to get this!

My own "battle station," not nearly as snazzy as the modern ones. This typewriter is my favorite from the collection. There are a few others; some work and some don't but this one does. The lamp is one of my favorites. It is from about 1935 and still has original paint, bulb socket, and switch. I use Edison lightbulbs in it.

At present the desk is covered in coffee mugs, end-of-the-semester papers & stuff, and Catholic stuff like a neat statue of St. Jude added recently. Usually there is a mountain of books behind everything and spilling off the sides and a few more fountain pens. Not shown: behind it, a table that used to hold an old-fashioned tube radio & still has an early "Graphophone" record player with a "morning-glory" horn.

I know this is not a computer desk but if I must use a laptop there, I push the typewriter to the side & go for it.

View attachment 63563
Not bad, I wouldn't mind trying-out a typewriter just for the sake of it, I have come across a few of them in the past, and got an idea have how tricky they can be for a modern man like me.

Please do reveal the titles of all those books which are just tantalizingly obscured by shadows!

View attachment 63563
Do you write paper with a typewriter?!

I have a little wooden lap desk which has space for my laptop and a cup of tea on it, and space for a cat underneath it. I sit on the sofa with my feet up to use it.

New Threads

Top Bottom