• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does "...the view from both sides of the mirror" mean?

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of exactly what the Aspergic slogan "...the view from both sides of the mirror" means. At the risk of answering my own question, I would guess it has something to with aspies often having a very "black and white" mentality and having a hard time seeing any viewpoint other than their own.

I would say it means to see things from both sides in terms of people with AS and parents of those with AS (and indeed those not on or related to the spectrum at all) having different viewpoints.

Gosh, I remember writing awhile ago about being on the spectrum as being like on the reflective side of a 2 way mirror where it would be difficult to see past one's own relfection while an NT would be on the other side and be able to see through the glass due to having 'theory of mind'.

I Think it sorta goes with the symbol, one circle meaning NT and the other someone on the AS spectrum and the line in the middle being the mirror. Probably shows how both can look at this forum and see the reflection of themselves and come together in a group of understanding. Any NT that goes on this forum is likely to leave with a prospective for the Autistic side of things and also the same the other way around. Just a guess.

I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of exactly what the Aspergic slogan "...the view from both sides of the mirror" means. At the risk of answering my own question, I would guess it has something to with aspies often having a very "black and white" mentality and having a hard time seeing any viewpoint other than their own.

Well I suppose if you don't have any empathy you wouldn't really know what this means. It's simply seeing things from others' perspective and feeling inside what they are going through. Whether that be struggles or challenges or just everyday experiences. It's a deeper understanding of other's feelings or motives. To feel as they do and connect with them in that way. Typically most aspies have a very scaled down version of this ability and many don't possess it at all.

Yes many of us have a black and white or concrete thinking on things and everything tends to go in extremes. But if you have a good sense of empathy you will always be better off.

I don't even see empathy as something that is autistic specific as a problem. Many guys that are nt's have no empathy either yet they go aorund thinkng the whole world revolves around them and their ego is the center of their universe, unable to see that anyone else's world holds any meaning to them. I would go as far as to say many females with asperger's hold more empathy than nt guys do. A poll of how many females on here understand and possess empathy as opposed to how many guys do... that would tell the story I am saying now.

-sean-

I Think it sorta goes with the symbol, one circle meaning NT and the other someone on the AS spectrum and the line in the middle being the mirror. Probably shows how both can look at this forum and see the reflection of themselves and come together in a group of understanding. Any NT that goes on this forum is likely to leave with a prospective for the Autistic side of things and also the same the other way around. Just a guess.

Yeah pretty much. I designed it with that idea in mind. There is some overlap between NT and AS, you know when you get an NT saying they know how you feel about something, and that they get that too (usually with small AS triats). So yes, one circle is NT and one AS, the line is the mirror. We set this place up as somewhere for everyone, both parents/carers/family members and those with AS (and other related things), so that we could get 'the view from both sides of the mirror'.

Ive got an opinion and a question to any one who sees this. My opinion is when I was officially diagnozed with AS and did three years of treatment one of the main skills I had to learn was to look at things from other peoples point of view or their perspective as its called. Have or do any of you need to do that? And what does the acronym NT mean???

Yeah pretty much. I designed it with that idea in mind. There is some overlap between NT and AS, you know when you get an NT saying they know how you feel about something, and that they get that too (usually with small AS triats). So yes, one circle is NT and one AS, the line is the mirror. We set this place up as somewhere for everyone, both parents/carers/family members and those with AS (and other related things), so that we could get 'the view from both sides of the mirror'.

I got it right....Hell yeah

New Threads

Top Bottom