• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Does It Mean To Have Asperger Syndrome?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Blog by

Lynne Soraya Asperger's Diary

What is this Asperger's Syndrome, anyway? As I alluded to in my previous post, Neurological Disorder or Natural Diversity?, after many years of knowing that I was different, I finally learned why when I read Wired Magazine (link is external) (The Geek Syndrome (link is external)), which described an autism spectrum disorder (link is external) called Asperger's Syndrome (link is external).

The more I read the descriptions of these people, the more I saw myself.The clincher came when, at the end, they provided a copy of Simon Baron-Cohen’s (link is external) Autism Quotient Test (link is external), a questionnaire designed to indicate the presence of autistic traits. I took it on the spot and scored very high – and I realized I was onto something, and I began to learn about Asperger’s and what it meant to my life.

So, overall, what does it mean to have Asperger’s? How does it affect how a person interacts with the world? What are the challenges?

In general, people with Asperger’s generally have trouble with social interaction, communication, as well as regulation of the motor skills and sensory systems.They also can develop obsessive and compulsive tendencies, which manifest themselves in various ways. I’ve said many times that there are many “flavors” of Asperger’s – but I’ll touch on some of the common areas of challenge:

Balance of the article here:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergers-diary/200804/what-does-it-mean-have-asperger-syndrome

That is a very interesting read. I could not get all of the links, but her blog sounds very familiar and right. Hmmm, I guess the diagnosis must be right. I am a Aspie.

"we don’t fully understand (until taught)"

That sounds like me sometimes. I have to be explained in detail sometimes about things which others might pick up quickly.

New Threads

Top Bottom