• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think of today's music?

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
What do you think of today's music of today and why?

I personally prefer back in the days, hip hop obviously made a lot of sense back then and has a lot of meanings about an event, love, something in the past etc.
It's really like just reading a poem really when your rapping and so on.

Today's music doesn't quite feel like how it was but in some ways can be quite enjoyable but is weirdly catchy like Lady Gaga's poker face.

What do you think?

i guess music reflects the current zeitgeist. As such you'd expect it to be cacaphonic and standardized. Commercial 'tunes' are computer analyzed to see if it matches a certain pattern that has been shown to be succesful. They flood the market with the same crap till it works no more and the on to the next ad nauseum.

I think that there was plenty of good music years ago and that a lot of todays music, mainstream anyway, isn't that good.

With regards to hip-hop most people aren't aware that the best hip-hop lives underground. In other words, it isn't mainstream or played on the radio. Some hip-hop artists actually refuse to be signed to a label citing that they want complete control over their production. Whereas the big label bosses would rather have the music shaped and squeezed for the masses. There is a lot of great hip-hop and rap out there that deal with life issues and not the guns and gangster stuff that is constantly played on the radio.

I have what could be thought of as a very strange taste in music. For example, I love the old classic Frank Sinatra but my favorite band to have ever existed has got to be Muse. Their music just gives me shivers...especially the outro they played often at gigs such as at the Wembley Stadium (Stockholm Syndrome). It's just so energetic and, well, sexy. Aside from them I like The Bealtes, Blink-182, The Hoosiers and Fall Out Boy. Sometimes I love a little Beethoven: especially when I find myself unable to sleep.

Anywho. I really love today's music. Well, most of it. I like ONE Lady Gaga song but other than that I find her unbearable - the same can be said for La Roux.

I don't really listen to modern ''mainstream'' music. I prefer classical music and soundtracks from certain specific films only.
I have been introduced to other types of music but I do not really like it very much.

Today's music is so diversified, sometimes i don't understand why radio stations blare songs that I do not quite like, save for the sweet cute sound of Taylor Swift. But sometimes i am awestruck by the uniqueness of certain music, esp. Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas. I am currently listening to indie bands and indie hip hop more often though.

Last edited:
The main modern artists I care for are non-mainstream ones, but there are exceptions like Feist and Roisin Murphy (Roisin Murphy is actually semi-mainstream though). Even some of Lady Gaga's music is OK.

42196292.jpg

Listening to the radio these days is painful which is why I haven't willingly done it for many years. Everything sounds the same. I despise the vocal style that most vocalists use now, and find that hardly anyone knows how to play their instruments well.

The sad thing is that money is much more important to most people than the quality of the music being produced. People don't care about substance; they're too greedy to give two shits about quality. As long as it sells, the record companies and musicians are satisfied. I personally wouldn't even consider most modern mainstream "musicians" as being musicians - they're mostly greedy corporate whores.

Last edited:
I know I'm getting old when people start referring to the nineties as it it were the olden days.

It has always been thus. In the 80s people were saying the 60s and 70s were better for music. In the 90s people were saying the 80s were better. People who grew up on music their parents hated end up hating the music their kids listen to.

The music today isn't like it was in the early 2000s. I kind of lost interest in the Urban music genre when Lil' Wayne came along and ruined it all. I still like Urban music, but it just isn't the same. I can't enjoy it the way I use it or grove to it the way I use to. Maybe it is the fact I have no coordination which means I can't dance worth anything in the world. :cry: All I can do is just listen to it and appreciate it.

Some artists hadn't changed in value, such as Mary J. Blige and Mariah Carey. While other artists changed through out the years, and their music just changed right along with them.

Western Music (I mean music from the Western world such as the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and other European countries), has changed and is ever changing. It's like I know what to expect from them.

Eastern Music (from Japan, South Korea, and other Asian countries), I don't know much about it so all of it is new to me. :D!

All and all, today's music is just as modern as it gets. I do admit I miss the 1990s and early 2000s though (of the Urban Music genre and non-Urban).

If you mean the rap and pop on US radio, it's really annoying but I'm somewhat used to it. Occasionally there's a song I like, but nothing I'd listen to on my own time.

I think the thing that bothers me most about today's music is that seemingly all bands/artists are plagiarists. There's hardly any originality to be found anywhere. Artists who copy other artists bother me a lot. To draw your influence from bands is fine, but to copy the sound is plain wrong. As soon as something comes on the radio by a band/artist that I've never even heard before I think to myself "I've heard that sound before."

When it comes to music, originality is a must. When you aren't original chances are you'll bore people and be forgotten. People aren't gonna talk about 99% of the artists/bands you hear on the radio today largely because they're copycats who stick to a formula that works when it comes to selling lots of albums to people who only listen to the radio and don't realize that there's much better music out there.

I'm somewhat in the middle on this one. I do like some older music, as well as newer stuff. I don't particularly care for a genre as a whole, I listen to what I like... just happens that a lot of stuff I listen to, does fall into a somewhat same category.

However... I can't really have most pop songs. Or popmusic for that matter. I don't know... it just strikes me as soft, overproduced and not raw enough. I think that's what's for most the mass appeal though. I remember... and I wasn't there firsthand... I'm not that old! but... in the 80's when there was a lot of hard rock bands and people thought "oh my, this is heavy stuff" and along came a band like Slayer, which went into overdrive as means of intensity in regards to contemporary rock music from the early to mid 80's. I, myself have the urge to always enjoy the bands and/or artists, that push that limit by any means. If it's either intense, over the top ridiculous technical or just really odd inventive, it seems to stick for a while. It's not even that I want to state "I'm a tough guy, look at how heavy and intense the music I enjoy is" but a lot of soft stuff doesn't stick with me. Some stuff I give listen, even a 2nd one. I still listen too some 90's hip-hop & rap, quite some alternative stuff from there... that's probably a bit of a nostalgia & memories thing.

The reason I enjoy a lot of dubstep currently, it because it's stretching the boundary of how low can a bass drop without bottoming out... it's a rather techincal thing actually. But apart from that, I like some tunes in that genre.

With the entire plagiarism thing, there's a couple of things that come to mind.

a. There is a lot of overexposure of artists due to the internet. No wonder we hear a lot of music which might or might not be intentional copied.
b. At some point combinations of melodic arrangements are used up... and stuff begins to sound off if you try new combinations. Depending on how "off" it sounds, It might eventually stick to a lot of people.
c. If something works, it seems that they apply the "don't fix what ain't broken principle"
d. Some stuff applies as a blueprint for a said style. After hearing 10 dubstep songs, they all go "wobblewobblewo-wo-wo-wo-wobble-DROP-Bigwobble". But that's what that kind of music does. Nothing more nothing less.
e. People have a hard time to differentiate songs. I've had people tell me "well, all these guitar solo's sound the same" but in fact, they're in a totally different scale, and totally different notes.. some people don't recognize notes that well. Some people told me "this sounds a lot like this and this song" and I didn't think so... and the other way around.

For fresh original music, look out for sites such as Purevolume or even Myspace music. I haven't really heard radio for years, since Myspace and Purevolume came along.

Of course there are indie music sites that I don't know, they're good too.

It's, OK, but I prefer listening to music from from the 70s to 90s.

I used to listen exclusively the music from 'Rock Around the Clock' (when Elvis first started to sing prominently, in support to Bill Haley and His Comets) to 'All Apologies' (the last song from Nirvana's last album) for almost 3 years.

I feel happy that my HS friends introduced me new music after Nirvana, and I also feel happy to enjoy those songs before Elvis :)

Listening to the radio these days is painful which is why I haven't willingly done it for many years. Everything sounds the same. I despise the vocal style that most vocalists use now, and find that hardly anyone knows how to play their instruments well.

It has always been thus. In the 80s people were saying the 60s and 70s were better for music. In the 90s people were saying the 80s were better. People who grew up on music their parents hated end up hating the music their kids listen to.

Very insightful. But then, it is current consensus that music from Elvis to Nirvana is at least better than the ones after Nirvana, and then much more interesting than the ones pre-dating Elvis (have you ever heard of Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby on radio lately?)

I prefer to listen to the music of the groups of The British Invasion and Motown era.

So do I.

I saw this thread and couldn't turn down the opportunity to post, even though its an older thread.

Today's music sucks. Mostly, the rap is terrible. The country is turning into pop-music. And the one that makes me most angry, the heavy metal is turning into some fruity alternative-rock type stuff. The dollar is the only motivation for songs now, not meaning or thoughtful messages. The few exceptions to these are the bands that get my money.

New Threads

Top Bottom