• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic What do you think about those who want to "cure" us?

Rachel

I hate this so much. This whole "autism is a problem and we must find a cure!" crap. In my opinion, autism is a condition and what NT people need to do is learn about us and work toward understanding us. I can understand parents with severely autistic children wanting them to 'get better', but really, I think they're barking up the wrong tree when they talk about "curing" autism. I think they need to figure out how to communicate with ASD children in any way the child can, because I've learned enough about ASD in the past 8 years (since my son was DXd) that there are "real people" in those "low-functioning" children. In my case, I know it's genetic, since I have DX'd my father with it, my son got professionally DX'd at the age of 4, and I just recently got my professional DX. So my ASD is genetic. Anyhow, I can't get into the "walk for a cure" for autism or anything like that. I would "walk for tolerance, understanding, and more assistance for ASD people". But that's just my opinion. And the symbol of puzzle pieces? If we're puzzling to you, think how puzzling you are to us! Anyhow, just had to rant.

I also agree. Not really thought about that autism symbol before. A puzzle piece? Is that an international thing? (I'm from the UK).

My dad showed me a news article about some companies that are actively recruiting workers on the spectrum to fill positions that require great precision and attention to detail. Because they realize that some features of autism make us better at certain jobs than those without. And not unskilled and gratuitous jobs either, but tasks like software testing and debugging. Companies are becoming aware that products getting quality assurance by a team with autistic spectrum members will most likely be structured, highly reliable and easy-to-use and not cluttered up with confusing superfluous options. Hiring people on the spectrum can actually be a good thing for business.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I always think those Walk For a Cure for (insert name of disease or condition) things are weird. As if the fact of those people walking for a cure is going to affect the likelihood of finding one.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I always think those Walk For a Cure for (insert name of disease or condition) things are weird. As if the fact of those people walking for a cure is going to affect the likelihood of finding one.

I just self-moderated my own post. I changed my mind about what I said!

Last edited:
I like to think there is a reason to Autism. Those NT 's that have someone on the spectrum in their lives ,who accept them, behave differently. Its almost like those on the spectrum have shown them a different way to communicate. These NT's are such effective communicators, even within their own realm, as a result. Why would you want to heal something, that has such a positive effect on humanity. Autism opens minds, to possibilities

Woman with a bullhorn: "Normal poeple stand in line for your shots and medication! Ya'all need to stop being violent, sneaky, greedy money grubbing clones. Next! Get all your shots here...."

Cured? Hah@! I feel contempt and utter [or otter] disgust for societal leeches who make salaries...herding Aspies into their pens...

I hate this so much. This whole "autism is a problem and we must find a cure!" crap. In my opinion, autism is a condition and what NT people need to do is learn about us and work toward understanding us. I can understand parents with severely autistic children wanting them to 'get better', but really, I think they're barking up the wrong tree when they talk about "curing" autism. I think they need to figure out how to communicate with ASD children in any way the child can, because I've learned enough about ASD in the past 8 years (since my son was DXd) that there are "real people" in those "low-functioning" children. In my case, I know it's genetic, since I have DX'd my father with it, my son got professionally DX'd at the age of 4, and I just recently got my professional DX. So my ASD is genetic. Anyhow, I can't get into the "walk for a cure" for autism or anything like that. I would "walk for tolerance, understanding, and more assistance for ASD people". But that's just my opinion. And the symbol of puzzle pieces? If we're puzzling to you, think how puzzling you are to us! Anyhow, just had to rant.

I agree. Without autistic folks we probably would not have near the technical advances we have had in today's world. Heck if a cure is found, it may very well be found by an autistic person. Would they still want to "cure" that person?

Yup I always thought about our contribution especially back in the Caveman days etc. Were we the engineers, tool makers, watchers of the fire....or sensitive enough to have intuition about what the enemy was about to do. I think we saved a part of humanity.

I like to think there is a reason to Autism. Those NT 's that have someone on the spectrum in their lives ,who accept them, behave differently. Its almost like those on the spectrum have shown them a different way to communicate. These NT's are such effective communicators, even within their own realm, as a result. Why would you want to heal something, that has such a positive effect on humanity. Autism opens minds, to possibilities

Grr, I always get annoyed by that curing stuff, and I already woke up quite annoyed. Grmbl grmbl.

Do I sometimes wish I wasn't autistic? Yes, but I also sometimes wish I was a bear, or born in Southern California, or had six functional arms. I mean, everybody at times wishes they were someone or something else. We all go through difficulties accepting ourselves and being accepted, life isn't easy.
But it becomes a very different thing when there's a whole group saying you're not normal and you should be cured. The propaganda might say autism is hard on people so a cure should be found so all this misery can be solved, but the actual message is that autism is a problem that should simply be eradicated.
I can understand how the idea of having a world without autism, might at first glance actually seem like a noble goal to pursue to some people, but they should understand that what they are actually saying to people with autism is "we don't want people like you. Not just here and now, but everywhere, ever". No wonder so many of us have to deal with anxiety and depression.

I actually see a lot of parallels with the LGBT community. Homosexuality was seen as an illness, people were being sent to mental institutions, forced into treatment or into living pretend lives. And I'm thinking this is like 50 years ago, but a lot of that **** is still happening today. So ****, do we have a long way to go.

Mental health should be about acceptance, emancipation, self-development,... stuff like that. Finding ways to function in society is part of it, but that shouldn't just mean getting everyone to adhere to some artificial/dominant norm or standard, because that inherently leads to feelings of rejection and disapproval, which leads to all kinds of secondary problems like depression and suicide. Acceptance, acceptance, acceptance. God dammit, how many times do we have to say it! I can imagine it might be difficult when everyone around you seems to be pretty much just like you, to realize there are most likely a lot more people who are not like you, but there are. And this doesn't mean they are not 'normal'.

The whole thing could easily be turned around too. Maybe we need a cure for this plague of people who need constant social interaction. They can't seem to be alone for 5 minutes, it must be hell. How can they ever function? And then there's the problems regarding imagination. Many difficulties are observed, going from simple refusal to total outrage, when being confronted with something they aren't used to.

Maybe I'm too misanthropic (I am) but the whole cure thing just reeks of eugenics. If they want a pure gene pool, they can fill up a bathtub with sterilized water and stare at that for a while. I'd prefer a mucky lake with some fish and weeds and maybe a crazy duck or two.

Here's a gifset I deemed fitting.

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho1_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho4_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho3_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho5_500.gif
tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho6_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho7_500.gif

I totally agree with you: when people mention cure they automatically suggest that autism is a disease. I think of those people as diseased that instead of understanding people with different capabilities and challenges to be handicapped.

Autism is a wondrous condition and I am myself perplexed many times by the capabilities that I possess. At no time do I see Autism as a hindrance, however people that want to interfere with an autistic person are the real hindrance.

And I get sickened when I listen to parents of autistic children trying to define them, describing them as if those children of theirs need to be restrained in certain ways in order to get them to function according to their own guidelines.
There are so many people that describe autistic children as a problem and granted some children really do have difficult lives and conditions I swear I can hear it in the parents voices how they put these children down.

What bothers me most is that highly functioning autistic people are put on the same level as other autistic people. There is a huge difference.

I actually see a lot of parallels with the LGBT community. Homosexuality was seen as an illness, people were being sent to mental institutions, forced into treatment or into living pretend lives. And I'm thinking this is like 50 years ago, but a lot of that **** is still happening today. So ****, do we have a long way to go.

Mental health should be about acceptance, emancipation, self-development,... stuff like that. Finding ways to function in society is part of it, but that shouldn't just mean getting everyone to adhere to some artificial/dominant norm or standard, because that inherently leads to feelings of rejection and disapproval, which leads to all kinds of secondary problems like depression and suicide. Acceptance, acceptance, acceptance. God dammit, how many times do we have to say it! I can imagine it might be difficult when everyone around you seems to be pretty much just like you, to realize there are most likely a lot more people who are not like you, but there are. And this doesn't mean they are not 'normal'.

The whole thing could easily be turned around too. Maybe we need a cure for this plague of people who need constant social interaction. They can't seem to be alone for 5 minutes, it must be hell. How can they ever function? And then there's the problems regarding imagination. Many difficulties are observed, going from simple refusal to total outrage, when being confronted with something they aren't used to.

Maybe I'm too misanthropic (I am) but the whole cure thing just reeks of eugenics. If they want a pure gene pool, they can fill up a bathtub with sterilized water and stare at that for a while. I'd prefer a mucky lake with some fish and weeds and maybe a crazy duck or two.

Here's a gifset I deemed fitting.

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho1_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho4_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho3_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho5_500.gif
tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho6_500.gif

tumblr_mlfwej7scS1rpduwho7_500.gif
Are you familiar with the Judge Rotenberg Center?

A lot of places that do walks for things raise money for awareness. I know that one company that I am doing a walk for Autism this Saturday and they have a special school and therapies to help not cure. Its all about finding the puzzle pieces to reach them to communicate and to help. I am excited about going to the walk. I don't like the idea of a cure. I don't like that aspect but so many places have moved away from the idea of a cure and started to understand that Autism is something different and special.

I hate the idea of "curing" autism because it suggests (and some people even bluntly state) that we, even with the gifts and benefits autism can provide, are ill or diseased and can only be considered healthy if we conform to society. However, normal people (this is what I define "normal" as) seem to be fickle, superficial and easily distracted; they stare at people and interrupt them (sometimes people come right up and interrupt me and someone else mid-conversation), all they ever want to talk about is school or work or their kids or other people's injuries/illnesses - why is that considered healthy? I don't want to be like that. My life would be so empty.
I don't mean to bash NTs by saying that; I'm just speaking from my own observations. Also I've been pretty fed up with society for the past few years. I don't know if it's a stage-in-my-life thing or whatever.

Are you familiar with the Judge Rotenberg Center?

I wasn't familiar with it, so I did a quick search and... I was feeling quite ok because I just came back from my run - I go running these days. There's a nice park with lots of paths and trees nearby, and I found it's quite nice to go there as day breaks, since it's practically deserted around that time and I don't have to worry about coming across too many people. I'm rather happy finding out about it and building it in as a habit because it's a good way for me to get out, enjoy the surroundings and get some sun and fresh air, something that usually causes quite some anxiety. Anyway, so I was feeling sort of in peace and harmony with things, far away from the world of headbanging, meltdowns and self-harm, and then this...

Aversive therapy, conditioning through electro shocks, yes, it is proven to work, not as a cure, but as a means of keeping animals under control. I wonder if they get their advanced equipment from ebay. If that's the cure, hell, as long as we're thinking primitive solutions, just get everyone a free lobotomy.
And then as a reward they get to go to the zoo. Are you kidding me, the ****ing zoo. The irony alone. I've been to the zoo last summer, it's a dreadful place. It's full of noisy people and all the animals are caged and look tame and depressed. There was one seal who just swam the same loop over and over again and an alligator who had to endure a fake thunderstorm every 15 minutes as an attempt to mimic it's natural habitat. I still feel a little dirty going there.

Anyway, the view seems to be that autism causes a lot of problems in the world, which just doesn't sit right to me. People with autism experience problems in this world would already be a much better viewpoint to start from. And yes, it's a two way street. My friend's brother is on the low end of the spectrum (I hate to use that expression), and it sure was and still is difficult for all of them to find ways to deal with that. It doesn't mean he has to be electroshocked into obedience.

Maybe take some cues from those of us who are high functioning or who do communicate. Say for instance the issues of meltdowns, self-harm in the likes of hitting oneself or banging your head against the table, what seems to be more of an issue for the guys and gals at the Judge Rotenberg Center. I had those, I do that. Not in such a way it's that problematic, but when I'd be in such a mood, being dragged from one doctor to the other with maybe a few social workers in between, or being under constant surveillance would definitely not make it any better. I think I actually might shut down completely.
I know it's very different when you're on the low end of the spectrum and there's an actual need to have people around taking care of you every day, but are they ever just alone for a while. Isn't a need to be alone supposed to be one of the traits that sets us apart? Yet that need always seems to be one of the first things taken away.
For me, when I'm breaking down, I need to be alone for a while. And I don't mean getting locked up in a naked room. In my own space, for a couple weeks, depending on the situation, preferably in nature,all though rarely feasible. Some real peace and quiet, no social obligations, time to get back to basics and my own interests, without being disturbed. And then when I've actually had some time to cool down and switch focus, I'd be able take part in things, to whatever ability I can muster. But no pushing! For every push it will take longer, because pushing is aggression, and I just can't tolerate that kind of behavior. :)

I'm ranting on about things I don't even know that much about, maybe it's time to end this.

I would firmly implant a boot into anyone's behind that would actually suggest there is something wrong with a person that has so many capabilities, can function on much higher levels than average people.

I get "input" from other people who want to convince me that being different is a bad thing, when in fact I am so much better at so many things. Especially other females try to convince me that since I am different then there must be something wrong with me.
The jealous females that I deal with know this of course. They know no matter how much they try they could never even get close to my capabilities, could never match my intelligence. That is literally causing these women to self com-bust.

In Europe I have never had to deal with women like that. In the U.S. women are full of hatred, trying to tear down any female that has what they will never have. And that is why I am being stalked by these loosers.

New Threads

Top Bottom